+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 87
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Pricing from kcom in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Thanks, this gives me some options. Incidentally, our quote from kcom has arrived in the last hour - emailed to ...
  1. #61
    kaphc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    579
    Thank Post
    152
    Thanked 73 Times in 63 Posts
    Rep Power
    73
    Thanks, this gives me some options.

    Incidentally, our quote from kcom has arrived in the last hour - emailed to the headteacher.

  2. #62

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    So far Schools Broadband have been the people here ticking more boxes than anyone else with competitive pricing and happiness to show anything or give any details about anything. The IP address number is figurative - they will go higher (relented to our request for 16 with ease) as long as they can properly justify the need to RIPE.
    RM are there for pricing but SB for us is the big stick-out; mostly because of the choice of filtering/safety system and the included VPN system.

  3. #63

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Just had official quote in from Kcom. Chins have hit the floor and we can't pick them up again.
    We've had some expensive quotes in as well as the reasonable ones. Even their price "if we go in with a load of other schools" is not competitive. That's without the filtering!

  4. #64

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,739
    Thank Post
    1,272
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    505
    Ok quote for one school is in!

    Continuity price has dropped a fair bit but the transitional price is under half the current cost for 4mb -> 10mb increase.

  5. #65
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Just had official quote in from Kcom. Chins have hit the floor and we can't pick them up again.
    We've had some expensive quotes in as well as the reasonable ones. Even their price "if we go in with a load of other schools" is not competitive. That's without the filtering!
    Surprising. The one we have, again 'if the following schools sign up' was pretty competitive.

  6. #66
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    So far Schools Broadband have been the people here ticking more boxes than anyone else with competitive pricing and happiness to show anything or give any details about anything. The IP address number is figurative - they will go higher (relented to our request for 16 with ease) as long as they can properly justify the need to RIPE.
    RM are there for pricing but SB for us is the big stick-out; mostly because of the choice of filtering/safety system and the included VPN system.
    Just shows...for us they would be more expensive than the Capita/KCOM solution, and even if they were close or slightly better, the notion of a smoother transition and less disruption is something worth paying a slight premium for - for us anyway.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire. Ish.
    Posts
    257
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    Surprising. The one we have, again 'if the following schools sign up' was pretty competitive.
    As was ours.

  8. #68
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Had to laugh - the contact at KCOM is off until next week. He timed his holiday just right :-)

  9. #69

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    TonyJF: is that secondary or primary? I've just requested copies of the quotes for my primaries and expect those to be far more competitive.
    Schools Broadband here though are being aggressive with clustered options; i.e. it's very likely that several groups of 4/5 schools are going in which is keeping costs down nicely. Whether they remain competitive after 3 years is yet to be seen but if not, that's plenty of time to sort something else out.
    For instance, as a very rough guide, kcoms connectivity here *with* their "transformative deal" (what a crap marketing name!) would be just about 13.5k. Add in Capita's Openhive stuff, it would be circa 15.5k-16k depending on intake.

    For SB, same speed, better (IMO) security setup, VPN as an included option but otherwise pretty like for like is about 3k less a year. It's not as competitive as RM but we need to get what is best for the school, and here we don't think RM can do that. This is working on the cluster deal things
    It works out a shade under 12k saving over 3 years if we avoid Kcom.

    For primaries, SB are also doing a free transition to FTTC when it's available (obviously that'll only matter where they don't already have it) which will make a huge difference too. 1mbit is not good for update downloads, it's quicker to drive the 16 mile round trip to download it at my school!


    (NB : Please note all the above prices are very rough and I won't be divulging exact numbers, we'd probably be shot. Plus of course different technologies, different existing provisions , location etc will have large impact on pricing between providers)
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 15th March 2012 at 01:38 PM.

  10. #70
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    TonyJF: is that secondary or primary? I've just requested copies of the quotes for my primaries and expect those to be far more competitive.
    Schools Broadband here though are being aggressive with clustered options; i.e. it's very likely that several groups of 4/5 schools are going in which is keeping costs down nicely. Whether they remain competitive after 3 years is yet to be seen but if not, that's plenty of time to sort something else out.
    For instance, as a very rough guide, kcoms connectivity here *with* their "transformative deal" (what a crap marketing name!) would be just about 13.5k. Add in Capita's Openhive stuff, it would be circa 15.5k-16k depending on intake.

    For SB, same speed, better (IMO) security setup, VPN as an included option but otherwise pretty like for like is about 3k less a year. It's not as competitive as RM but we need to get what is best for the school, and here we don't think RM can do that. This is working on the cluster deal things
    It works out a shade under 12k saving over 3 years if we avoid Kcom.

    For primaries, SB are also doing a free transition to FTTC when it's available (obviously that'll only matter where they don't already have it) which will make a huge difference too. 1mbit is not good for update downloads, it's quicker to drive the 16 mile round trip to download it at my school!
    Secondary. Our 100mbps connection price from KCOM has come in at under 9,500 - provided the relevant schools sign up.

    I have to be honest in admitting that if all other things are equal, I'm in favour of maintaining the status quo - sometimes better the devil you know, and I'd rather not go through a change in ISP every 3-4 years, either.

    I guess we each have our different priorities.

  11. #71

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    If ours was near 9500 we'd be seriously considering it for the same reason. In fact, my NM just said we'd snap their arm off. 12k difference over 3 years though - that's a definite no go.
    Could I be really cheeky and ask you what area you are? 4k difference is a HELL of a lot per year so I wonder if they've cocked something up.

    We're also working on *best case scenario* - it's extremely unlikely neighbouring schools will be going with kcom therefore it's likely we can add another 1.5k to our price.

    Also I should be quick to point out, we're not against the service provided by kcom/embc up until now, it's been really rather good.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 15th March 2012 at 01:44 PM.

  12. #72
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    If ours was near 9500 we'd be seriously considering it for the same reason. In fact, my NM just said we'd snap their arm off. 12k difference over 3 years though - that's a definite no go.
    Could I be really cheeky and ask you what area you are? 4k difference is a HELL of a lot per year so I wonder if they've cocked something up.

    We're also working on *best case scenario* - it's extremely unlikely neighbouring schools will be going with kcom therefore it's likely we can add another 1.5k to our price.

    Also I should be quick to point out, we're not against the service provided by kcom/embc up until now, it's been really rather good.
    We're in south Leics, so I'd guess the price difference is partially down to the exchanges. I'm hopeful now that the other schools will look at this seriously given that price, but of course it also depends on whether they go for the Capita/KCOM package or the KCOM/RM package as to where their overall costs end up. It's a palaver, but then Broadband has become such a significant part of the school needs, it requires a lot of close attention.

  13. #73

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Indeed it does. The bit that annoys me is that kcom withdrew quotes/held back on providing prices as they were examining other provider's costs. We assumed therefore they'd come back more competitive.
    Just waiting to hear back from friends at neighbouring schools to see if they've had the same prices; if so, they won't be getting into many Northants schools. Shame really, as you said about continuity - that's peace of mind you can't get elsewhere.

  14. #74
    Gibson335's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    930
    Thank Post
    257
    Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Continuity, at least in my view, is worth a premium, but from what you're saying they've not managed to get their prices down where you are in the way they've managed to for us, so those additional costs are probably impossible to justify. As you say, shame for those who'd rather stay but are being forced out on costs.

  15. #75
    robk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ashbourne
    Posts
    682
    Thank Post
    172
    Thanked 128 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    47
    Interestingly the costs schools broadband sent me were much higher than rm. My kcom cost actually looks really good in comparison to both. My issue is with the service costs, luckly live@edu and smoothwall are allready in on my site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th January 2011, 02:36 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th March 2009, 08:52 AM
  3. Company changing prices from flyer prices
    By localzuk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17th December 2008, 12:19 PM
  4. Accessing work from home.
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 1st June 2007, 01:47 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •