+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Pricing from kcom in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by Smee Just had an email telling me not to expect any more info from Kcom until 14th ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    Just had an email telling me not to expect any more info from Kcom until 14th March. I'm still under the impression that the powers that be hope primarys without dedicated or on site support will just opt for staying with what they know rather than what will suit them best Having only had one supplier price up how am I suppose to advise my schools?
    At the moment I feel like there isn't much choice within the framework. Updata aren't offering anything, who knows what BT are up to and Virgin didn't turn up to the arranged meeting with our cluster without any explanation since (which hasn't gone down well). That leaves KCOM :S

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    At the moment I feel like there isn't much choice within the framework. Updata aren't offering anything, who knows what BT are up to and Virgin didn't turn up to the arranged meeting with our cluster without any explanation since (which hasn't gone down well). That leaves KCOM :S
    At the meetings KCOM were being heavily pushed, and for many the best solution is the Capita/KCOM one. Updata made no bid in the end, BT seem to be backing off, and I think Virgin could see where things were leading. I just wish emPSN were providing more information on all this, because even though we're contracting now directly with suppliers, emPSN should surely be doing a little more. It's been a very disappointing time all round.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the issues with emPSN (and even the LAs) making comments about providers is that until signatures are dry on the relevant contracts things can become very difficult due to the odd misplaced word. Frustrating ... but that's how it is (unfortunately). We have a meeting tomorrow and so I will be raising some of the above *on behalf of Northants schools* and will share whatever I can by the end of Friday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    One of the issues with emPSN (and even the LAs) making comments about providers is that until signatures are dry on the relevant contracts things can become very difficult due to the odd misplaced word. Frustrating ... but that's how it is (unfortunately). We have a meeting tomorrow and so I will be raising some of the above *on behalf of Northants schools* and will share whatever I can by the end of Friday.
    I'm not thinking so much about commenting on providers, I just feel that, whilst the LA appear to be making information available as and when, for us as an academy we've been left hanging out on a limb. The new website is hardly a help, with no FAQs in place (something they could perhaps have really done a job on). I think the process itself has been poorly managed, and that firmer deadlines for prices would have helped. I understand this is a complex issue, I understand that part of the delay has been caused by KCOM finding 'anomolies', but I just feel that as the organisation we have to become members of if we want to continue, emPSN could have been a little more proactive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Latest LA update is that accurate pricing from KCOM won't be available until mid-March :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As many primary budgets get frozen on the 15th of March, budgets which will be used for these services, to say they are missing the boat would be a slight understatement. Hopefully people will put a sensible amount aside for it however it's never that smooth

Thank Post
    Latest LA update is that accurate pricing from KCOM won't be available until mid-March :/
    Thanks. Now, without wishing to flog a dead horse here, wouldn't it have been nice to have heard this directly from emPSN? Is it even on their website yet?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh and just heard from Virgin (finally!) and they can't give prices for another 2 weeks (not that my schools are particularly keen to deal with them if they can't setup a meeting and attend it properly).

Thank Post
    Oh and just heard from Virgin (finally!) and they can't give prices for another 2 weeks (not that my schools are particularly keen to deal with them if they can't setup a meeting and attend it properly).
    I suspect they've all run up against the same problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    I suspect they've all run up against the same problem.
    Mmm yeah, just reading the LA info and apparantly its something to do with 'inter-supplier contracts'.

Thank Post
    And now 2 months late!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    And now 2 months late!!
    Yes we are less than impressed so far. Prices were supposed to be available in January and we were advised to order by end of March.
    Still, I am, sadly, not surprised at the way things are working out.

Thank Post
    Yes we are less than impressed so far. Prices were supposed to be available in January and we were advised to order by end of March.
    Still, I am, sadly, not surprised at the way things are working out.
    Indeed. I spoke to emPSN because our contract with them ends in July, not October, and their response was pretty much...well, just sign up for another 3 months on the current agreement...all very well, but given their staggering prices that might cost us money we can't afford!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too many providers are faffing about with prices and too scared to dip their toes in the water themselves. Everyone we've spoke to wants to see what prices we've already had.
    Frankly, if people aren't willing to be honest and give at least a provisional worst-case price then they perhaps shouldn't be in consideration; they're clearly not there to do educational establishments any favours.
    Virgin is definitely one. Another should know better.

Thank Post
    Just a few questions on the legalities...

Having searched Companies House, EMPSN Services LTD is not the registered company name for the company number stated on the empsn membership rules, articles and form documents published yesterday on the empsn.info website. My question; is this a legally binding document (when signed) if the registered company details are not on on the mentioned documentation? Any thoughts, can we become members of a company that technically doesn't exsit or have I got my wires crossed?

Also, EMBC Procument LTD, which is the registered name of the company for the company number provided in the documentation, is registered in Manchester? Any reason for this? impartiallity from the several councils that currently own the embc? Also, EMPSN Infrastructure LTD is also based at the same address.

Sorry for the throwing a spanner into the works...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast