+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC - whether to move away or not? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Correct me if i'm wrong; Synetrix took over running the embc last renewal, was it 5 years ago or 7, ...
    Thank Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong; Synetrix took over running the embc last renewal, was it 5 years ago or 7, before my time. They contracted Kcom to run the core and last mile as they were incumbent at the time. Not too long ago Capita took over Synetrix but had to honour existing contracts until renewal in Oct 2012?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Ah fair enough, obviously didn't read into that properly then
    I've emailed them for a quicker response mostly as, in all honesty, waiting this late in the day is really not the way things should be going!
    In addition, of course, you can choose Virgin or BT (if they're even still part of it) and services from whoever is offering them...but I'd agree that this delay looks poor on all concerned. They wanted people to sign up by end of March initially, but now we won't get full pricing until the start of the month, with KCOM having gone back to reconsider 100mbps pricing. Not sure who is to blame for the delays, but it's a huge concern.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong; Synetrix took over running the embc last renewal, was it 5 years ago or 7, before my time. They contracted Kcom to run the core and last mile as they were incumbent at the time. Not too long ago Capita took over Synetrix but had to honour existing contracts until renewal in Oct 2012?
    That's about it, yes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    When companies take each other over you will find that frequently it is not just to buy the company but to by the contracts that they run as well, so it isn't strictly about 'honouring' the contract ... The present version of services had Synetrix /i2Q running services from April 08, but they started work in October the previous year to start on the migration, etc. Capita ITS (as they are now known) contract the management of the infrastructure to KCOM, including looking after routers, exchanges, etc and the lines these run over are general via KCOM, but some via BT and some via Virgin ... whichever offered the best price (based on running costs and investment in setting up the new line). When Synetrix made the bid they opted to make use of the incumbent contractors as part of the bid (as did Fujitsu), but other bidders put forward different options ... so it was not that the incumbent was chosen ... it is just that KCOM were part of the bid which won. Sorry to sound as if I am splitting hairs but there is a big difference.

Thank Post
    For clarity re: "IWF filtering" - you will go a LONG way before you will find an IWF-free ISP. Do ask your ISP though.

As an IWF member, Smoothwall includes IWF lists, updated daily, automatically, as mandated by our membership agreement - which cannot be inadvertently turned off.

6. 2 Thanks to tom_newton:

camel (27th February 2012), synaesthesia (27th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    For clarity re: "IWF filtering" - you will go a LONG way before you will find an IWF-free ISP. Do ask your ISP though.

As an IWF member, Smoothwall includes IWF lists, updated daily, automatically, as mandated by our membership agreement - which cannot be inadvertently turned off.
    I have come across 2 selling to schools which make me go 'ah' ... one went ? when I mentioned IWF and the other did have a good chat about the politics behind it but said they would do it if they are requested ... so I would say that it really is a good thing to ask. If nothing else, I know that should people go for unfiltered lines with a provider in the future (on or off framework) and they go for an in-house filtering option which has IWF lists included ... we all know there are likely to be a few machines set to go out to the internet without even touching the filtering box ... and at least with IWF already applied that is one less worry should anyone start exploring. Belt and braces ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Taylor, but I don't think we will be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've had some very good input, honest and informative from Schools Broadband Talk Straight which may be worth a look. Their quote for connection is very competitive (even compared to RM's extremely aggressive pricing) however a fair bit more for filtering. Still, they do seem to be very good from what we've seen so far. Maybe one to add to your "to talk to" lists.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It may or may not interest some people that after emailing Vaioni I received a direct reply from Mr Franks apologising for his actions and admitting he did the exact opposite of his intentions by denting the good reputation of his company.

Thank Post
    It all seems to have gone a bit quiet with regard to moving away or not moving away from EMBC (EMpsn). I am still trawling through what seems to be an endless amount of info and need help sorting the wheat from the chaf (if thats the right spelling!) Has anyone made a decision on suppliers? Is there any where I can get independent advise from?

sjb

Thank Post
    We are signing up with Schools Broadband. 40mb FTTC line being installed tomorrow to replace our 4mb EMBC circuit. We will save around 8000 in our first year (after discounts) for a faster, better service that we have more control over.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    We are signing up with Schools Broadband. 40mb FTTC line being installed tomorrow to replace our 4mb EMBC circuit. We will save around 8000 in our first year (after discounts) for a faster, better service that we have more control over.
    From Talk Straight? We are currently talking with them as a preferred bidder. I would very much like to know how it goes with your installation as we are looking at a similar service from them. What other features have you gone for; e.g. email, webhosting. And, have you gone onto the Gold service from SBB?

Cheers
    Last edited by camel; 21st March 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: grammar

sjb

Thank Post
    Yes, Talk Straight. I'll let you know how it goes. We will be getting the gold package and using email, but not web hosting for now as we already host our site outside of EMBC. Have been very impressed so far. Our line is being installed within a week of signing up, and Barry has been very helpful with problems we are having with our LA. Took a couple references from existing customers which were both extremely positive.

Thank Post
    Schools Broadband/Talk Straight look like a decent option, but for us they are a little bit more expensive than we're expecting to pay for our Capita/KCOM solution, as we don't require the hosting or student mail. I would have liked a better breakdown of costs from them, but at least have a straight comms/service package split. I can see why they would be of interest to many, and may yet be for us if the KCOM prices don't end up being what we expect them to be.

sjb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb View Post
    Just to clarify, I was comparing prices over 18 months ( from our conversion date) but it will be our first year with Schools Broadband, due to their 'free til November' offer, which is what I meant. Have received an email from the LA quoting things I have said (anonymously) on Edugeek, so don't want to leave any room for misinterpretation...
    Last edited by sjb; 23rd March 2012 at 07:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast