+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC / emPSN briefings in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); EMBC are holding a number of regional events to give schools a chance to meet the suppliers on the new ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

EMBC / emPSN briefings

EMBC are holding a number of regional events to give schools a chance to meet the suppliers on the new Framework, which gives schools options for connectivity and services at the natural end of the existing contract with Capita ITS (aka Synetrix).

The following details are from embc Regional Events

Senior management teams, governors and ICT leads in schools are invitied to attend one of the regional events being held in January.

• Leicestershire and Leicester City schools event - 25th January Walkers /King Power Stadium, Leicester
    • Northamptonshire schools event - 27th January Northampton County Cricket Ground, Northampton
    • Derbyshire schools event - 30th January Pride Park Stadium, Derby

In 2012 embc will be offering a wider range of connectivity and service options for schools to choose from when the contract with Synetrix ends.
    This means that the embc service will continue after 31st October.

In the meantime schools need to think about the levels of connectivity and which services they might like to take.

At each event senior management teams, governors and ICT leads in schools will have an opportunity to find out more about the different options on offer and meet the suppliers.

To register for one of the events please email embc@embc.org.uk stating your preferred venue, afternoon or twilight session and your name and school details.

NB. If you are not able to attend the event in your area you are welcome to attend one of the other regional events. Schools in regions not hosting events will have other opportunities provided for them.
    I know Lincolnshire have a separate event which has already been announced in a thread.

To support this we have been recommending Northamptonshire schools have a look through the Toolkit created by the Northants Schools Broadband Working Group to help with the conversations between IT Support staff in/supporting schools, their SLT and the suppliers.

Thank Post
    Having been to the Derbyshire briefing today, I think I am one of many now realising that this is a bigger change than most of us thought. The toolkit document looks really good - would you have any objection to this being used by us in a Derbyshire school? I haven't read it all yet but would obviously keep an eye out for anything specific to Northants and ensure that I check with Derbyshire County Council accordingly where relevant.

3. Thanks to kaphc from:

GrumbleDook (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are some things being sorted about the document but that won't stop you from making use of it ... More details on Wednesday.

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

kaphc (30th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll use the document as a starting point and keep an eye out for more on this from Wednesday onwards. It appears that there's still quite a bit of stuff to be finalised at the moment anyway (like prices that are fluctuating with numbers etc) so it's going to be a fun couple of months!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I hadn't followed this up sooner ... I was going to stick it up as a blog post or something but until I get that sorted I put it here.

On 19th January 2012 Northamptonshire County Council, on behalf of the Schools Broadband Working Group, agreed to hand over ownership and further development of the toolkit to Partnership for Schools (PfS) and The Department for Education (DfE). This will allow schools to better understand their educational requirements and the technologies which can deliver them, in conjunction with advice from providers, including RBCs.
    The DfE, PfS and the NEN Managers met on 30th January and discussed this and other information sheets which will be published with DfE endorsement about provision for schools.

Steve Moss, Strategic Director for ICT at Partnerships for Schools, said "The core of the toolkit will be extremely valuable in our work with Free Schools, Studio Schools, UTCs and Academies. It will ensure that these schools have a clear understanding of their requirements for broadband internet access and associated services and are able to make informed choices. We will also promote its use in our wider interactions with schools."
    I've got to say a massive thank you to so many members who have been actively involved in this, both those in Northants who have met with me, Stan and Steve as well as those in other areas who got used to having strange conversations about things I couldn't give too much information on.

AlistairA, @wagnerk, @synaesthesia, @Ashm, @bjeffery, IanM, JamesB, @techyphil, @Modey, @john, @ZeroHour, @Dos_Box, @Gobo and many more ... (PM me if I have missed you and I'll add you in as you deserve credit and thanks for the feedback) and not forgetting the folk at EMBC, PfS and DfE.

This compliments things like the new EMBC framework but is also agnostic for those looking at other offerings independently. We still strongly recommend you make use of any opportunity for aggregated purchasing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread