+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC Users - Email in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Folks, is there anyone else who used to use the Webroot email system from EMBC to release/check incoming and outgoing ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries

EMBC Users - Email

Folks, is there anyone else who used to use the Webroot email system from EMBC to release/check incoming and outgoing mails for abuse, virus/malware etc?
    Trying to gauge if anyone else is missing the same access to MailMarshall as much as we are - phoning EMBC to release/get this information for us is a ludicrous workaround!
    We find it a tad amusing that this wasn't all in place before it was made live - we wouldn't dream of putting a half finished/setup product in place in a school system.

Thank Post
    Yep! But it shouldn't be for too much longer I hope. It had to be made live in a rush as Webroot stopped their support for however the EMBC is setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Folks, is there anyone else who used to use the Webroot email system from EMBC to release/check incoming and outgoing mails for abuse, virus/malware etc? Trying to gauge if anyone else is missing the same access to MailMarshall as much as we are - phoning EMBC to release/get this information for us is a ludicrous workaround! We find it a tad amusing that this wasn't all in place before it was made live - we wouldn't dream of putting a half finished/setup product in place in a school system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, as we've been told Regardless, someone needs shooting - things should never be done in a rush, whether it's "suddenly stopping support" for something, migrating to another solution or anything similar. Give me a rifle, tell me who to aim at and let's see what becomes of it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Argh, the need for this gets greater and greater as time goes on.

The NM here just pointed out one very good point: when EMBC are about to start vying for business amongst other providers, this is really, really not a great time to have these sort of problems!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The NM here just pointed out one very good point: when EMBC are about to start vying for business amongst other providers, this is really, really not a great time to have these sort of problems!
    How to do you mean?
    Providers are vying with each other to get on the new emPSN (as the embc will become) framework and get us to choose them.
    If you mean vying to get our business, that has always been the case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Of course it has, but now it's far more open - i.e. with there being no subsidy involved, people will be more open to other suppliers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *cough* little correction ... embc will not be vying ... suppliers on the emPSN framework will be vying, along with others out there already *cough*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Of course it has, but now it's far more open - i.e. with there being no subsidy involved, people will be more open to other suppliers.
    Right I get ya.
    Though I *believe* (and hope) that it will be cheaper to go through the framework, especially with companies that are on the framework (BT, Virgin etc).

Thank Post
    Synaesthesia – if you used to have access to admin webroot, then equivalent accts are available in mailmarhsall.
    The new system has been in since beginning of Aug…my understanding...the decision to have a staged release and not initially open admin console to all, was so that the project team could monitor, control the and have full visibility of the issues as the system took its first real steps at the start of term. PM me your details and I can check your admin acct and get details to you.

Cheers
    Gonz

10. 2 Thanks to gonzodad:

GrumbleDook (17th September 2011), synaesthesia (16th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Grumbledook, I've had about 4 different explanations of the framework and so far yours is the first that makes sense - even though it's very brief! Probably a little ignorance on my part as it's not particularly my job to be sticking my nose into it, but you know how nosey I am

Gonzodad : Cheers, so far the guys have been very open on the EMBC helpdesk but the stress/joys of the start of term have already started to take their toll on our guys and staff. PM sent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @synaesthesia Its dead easy really.
    Rather than the current model where the embc tenders out and chooses one company to supply both connectivity and services, the future emPSN framework will consist of two separate lists of suppliers for connectivity and services. Therefore in the future you choose separate suppliers your connectivity and services (eg Virgin supplying your Internet connection and BT supplying the email, filtering etc).
    Given that different suppliers can offer different costs at different locations we should be able to select the best deal for our schools rather than having the blanket approach offered until now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sparkeh just to clear up ... it is quite possible to have the same supplier for connectivity *and* services, or to have multiple suppliers for different services ... the downside of multiple suppliers for services is that you might not get the full user integration (depends on how you buy Identity Management services) but since some folk use a range of different folk already then that should be a problem for those who are happy to go down that route.

@synaesthesia We can give a brief run down again at Monday's meeting about the emPSN stuff, where things are with the schools' working group and Dan from EMBC will be doing a short presentation about the summer activities too ... and looking for feedback.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would be nice, unfortunately we won't be able to make it on Monday

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would be nice, unfortunately we won't be able to make it on Monday
    I'll try and make sure someone takes some notes and puts them on the community site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @sparkeh just to clear up ... it is quite possible to have the same supplier for connectivity *and* services, or to have multiple suppliers for different services ...
    Ah yes what I was meaning was that you choose the connectivity and services separately so yes you could choose the same supplier for everything or different ones.
    Also its interesting is that some of the parties, as a reseller could be offering you connectivity through another of the framework suppliers...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast