+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Derbyshire IT Techs meeting Friday 31st January 2011 in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Apologieis if this seems a bit last minute, we have had a thread going about a Derbyshire It Techs meeting ...
    Thank Post

Derbyshire IT Techs meeting Friday 31st January 2011

Apologieis if this seems a bit last minute, we have had a thread going about a Derbyshire It Techs meeting and have arranged a meetup for tomorrow.

The venue is The Meadows Community School, Highstreet, Old Whittington, Chesterfield, S41 9LG and the time is 12noon. if anyone else can make it, please can you reply to this thread or send a PM to Edugeeker PyROm who works at the school.

Thank Post
    Never heard of these before. Are they a regular thing?

Thank Post
    Oh yes, very regular :-)

We initiated it last term for the first time and agreed to see if we could get something going once a term ... so that means we are due another one soon! Would you be interested in coming along?

Thank Post
    Yes, sounds like a great idea assuming its close enough

Thank Post
    The last one was in Old Whittington near Chesterfield and we discussed keeping that as a venue because it's fairly central .... how does that sit with you coming over from Glossop??

Thank Post
    That would be fine with me. I work in New Mills so not far to travel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you need any contact details for speakers / vendors then let me know and I can pass on details of those who have presented at Northants meetings.

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

kaphc (26th May 2011)

Thank Post
    @Lorfarius, Ok then, will see what dates are around in June and come up with somthing.

@GrumbleDook, thanks for the offer - that could be very very helpful, but I think we'll need to boost our numbers a bit first to make a speaker or vendors visit worthwhile. Can I ask - how do you promote the Northants ones, apart from on edugeek? We were going to use the DNfL intranet but that's down and all info is being passed on via headteachers which relies on them forwarding info onto the correct staff. Any ideas to get the word out?

10. Thanks to kaphc from:

GrumbleDook (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @kaphc have you tried the peak11/sedsip/nedis mailing lists from Derbyshire? drop me a PM if you need more details.

12. 2 Thanks to robk:

GrumbleDook (27th May 2011), kaphc (26th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    @kaphc have you tried the peak11/sedsip/nedis mailing lists from Derbyshire? drop me a PM if you need more details.
    Cheers Rob, have PM'ed you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    @Lorfarius, Ok then, will see what dates are around in June and come up with somthing.

@GrumbleDook, thanks for the offer - that could be very very helpful, but I think we'll need to boost our numbers a bit first to make a speaker or vendors visit worthwhile. Can I ask - how do you promote the Northants ones, apart from on edugeek? We were going to use the DNfL intranet but that's down and all info is being passed on via headteachers which relies on them forwarding info onto the correct staff. Any ideas to get the word out?
    Part of it was that I already had a number of contacts and was on a part-time secondment to the LA when we started the group, originally to support the selection and then transition to a new RBC provider. I then spent a long time trying to find out who supports each and every school ... and I still don't have a full list.

The group was originally run by the LA but when I first started there I did say that I wanted it to be a school run group in the end ... the LA has funded meetings and training previously, but now the group has some funds of their own, has their own site and I just do the donkey-work putting the meetings together.

Try to contact every school on every available contact list you can get hold of. Get your Head to send details to other Heads, your Bursar / Business Manager to others, your data officer to their contacts, ICT Co-ordinators, Subject leaders for ICT, and even the Child Protection Officer (who can get in touch with others via the LA eSafety Officer).

And don't forget to speak with friendly folk at the LA (who also lurk here). You will also be surprised about how much a few suppliers / vendors can help you. Folk like RM have a lot of contact details for schools, and if they can come along to meetings too, to give information about what is going on and also because they support schools to, then they can be helpful. Likewise, if a vendor is going to speak at a meeting then they can email their known customers to encourage them to come along.

Once you get a core of people going then others will drop in and drop out as the agenda for meetings suit them. Don't be worried about this ... it is hard for people to get time out of schools unless you can show real benefit.

Also, remember that there are many groups like this across the country. A number of folk who run them are on here and I am trying to put them in contact with one another too ... nowt like sharing some good advice.

Thank Post
    Just to say I am back on the case with this - half-term, illness and impending school move have all conspired to take up more of my time than I would have liked! Will try and get messages out asap.

Can't work out for the life of my why this text is right-hand justified!

Apparently it's not right-hand justified in the actual post - apologies for my confusion!
    Last edited by kaphc; 14th June 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: oh!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread