+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Website Hosting - Upgrades? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); @kaphc - currently its not enabled, we have been looking at it, its effectively a ‘catalogue’ of images and code ...
    Thank Post
    @kaphc - currently its not enabled, we have been looking at it, its effectively a ‘catalogue’ of images and code that you can use to build up a webpage. We're assessing it's use on performance etc. If that goes ok we will talk to embc about adding the functionality to the service. Sorry i don't now at this time if it will incurr extra costs.

@edu-it- each website owner should have been told their migration date and as all complete now, you probably have been, pm me your domain and I'll find out the date you went across if u like.

Thank Post
    Upgrades? Downgrades more like. Website is once again down and when it's now down, it's slow.

I'm not annoyed though. Not at all...

Was definately more reliable before they carried out this work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzodad View Post
    @kaphc - currently its not enabled, we have been looking at it, its effectively a ‘catalogue’ of images and code that you can use to build up a webpage. We're assessing it's use on performance etc. If that goes ok we will talk to embc about adding the functionality to the service. Sorry i don't now at this time if it will incurr extra costs.
    Thanks for finding out and letting me know, I will bear in mind that it may be a future possible option - would be interested to hear if anything definite is decided, but will also depend on how much our Learning Platform gets promoted as the main school site in future too.

Thank Post
    Our website on Web2 server is still down, though ftp access is still up. Attempting login to the plesk control panel brings up an EMBC maintenance message. This is getting very frustrating. An email to the service desk gives no ETA for web2 to be restored to full service.

Thank Post
    just taken from talk2synetrix

15/12/2010 14:42:35
    Web2 continues to be problematic with CPU process maxing out which is resulting in websites hosted on that server to experience intermittent slow performance and access issues.

Whilst most sites are available; all possible resource is being dedicated to this issue to ensure that the issue is permanently resolved.
    14/12/2010 22:52:07 All websites hosted on Web2 are now available and functioning normally.

Further investigations are required into the issues experienced today which are scheduled for tomorrow to ensure that the outage seen today is not repeated. Until these are completed this call will not be set to Resolved as the current stability is being seen minimal load and this may not be the case during peak hours.

Web2 will be closely monitored in case of further degradation of service.
    14/12/2010 16:30:21
    Potential causes for the continuing poor performance / inavailability of websites hosted on Web2 have been systematically investigated and ruled out as the cause.

Engineers are continuing attempts to isolate the exact cause for the CPU process to max out which is preventing sites from running efficiently.

Further updates will follow.
    14/12/2010 12:52:39 The issue with slow performance / unresponsiveness of Web2 which was believed to be resolved earlier today has reoccurred.

This is resulting in all websites hosted on that server to be performing poorly or to appear offline.

Further investigations are underway.
    14/12/2010 12:52:35 ************************************************** **************
    This call was resumed at 12:52:35 14/12/10

************************************************** ************** 14/12/2010 12:01:38 ************************************************** **************
    This call was resolved at 12:01:32 14/12/10

************************************************** ************** 14/12/2010 11:59:12 The Web2 server had become unresponsive due to high CPU usage.

The server was restarted and is now functioning normally.

The reason for this high CPU usage is currently being investigated and an RFO will follow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Our website on Web2 server is still down, though ftp access is still up. Attempting login to the plesk control panel brings up an EMBC maintenance message. This is getting very frustrating. An email to the service desk gives no ETA for web2 to be restored to full service.
    Recently spoke to them and was given the same message. Really getting annoyed myself too now to the point where we'll be taking the eggs from their basket and putting them in somebody elses.

What are their engineers doing in the background to fix this? Some might say nothing much, but, not me. I'm not like that.

At a time when people are considoring alternative suppliers for their connections and LA's are trying to keep people interested, this doesn't help them.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 21st December 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Guys - i dont know why the problem ticket has not been updated, will find out and sort that. In the background the problem management team and lead techs have been working on it. they have built a new server from the ground up to bring into service to replace web2 (to do this seamlessly so users don't have to change anything at their end it takes some tech wizardy thats beyond me), approx ETA for this new server is end of today. I will post here when i know for sure.

sincere apologies for this service not being fully available to schools.

Thank Post
    The new server was finished this evening and a change freeze is now in place on the current web2 server (so we can take a backup of the data from it and then restore to the new server). This means you wont be able to admin your site for most of tomorrow. if thats a problem, drop me a pm and ill see what we can do to put any changes you want immediately on the new server. ETA for this new server to come live as the 'new' web 2 is tomorrow evening.

gonz

Thank Post
    Is that still the plan gonz?

Thank Post
    The problem ticket was updated with the below earlier today, it looks like it will be a few more days. We are trying out some immediate options for individual schools with urgent requirements that can't work to that timeframe, pm me for more details.

----------
    The restores have now taken place on the new Web2 server.

The current estimate for this server to be put into live production is now
    provisionally Christmas Eve.

This date will be dependent on the outcome of further QA work and stress
    testing currently being performed by engineers which may result in further
    optimisation work.

This means that access to update websites and the Plesk panel will be
    unavailable until this is completed and the change freeze lifted.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the continued updates and help!

Thank Post
    Wish I'd seen this thread sooner The first I knew about something going on with our website was when I went to go on it a couple of days ago, only to be greeted by the default Plesk Web Server page lol.

I had seen nothing of any letter (why they don't e-mail us as well is beyond me) - i.e. a generic e-mail saying that letters have been sent out...

So I logged a call with helpdesk, and that's when they told me about the changes.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The new server is in ... being monitored ... and working fine apart from a few custom apps on certain sites. If you do have an issue please make sure you log it with the helpdesk.

Thank Post
    andy_d - you could either be down due to the upgrade (and not knowing about it) or as grunmbledook says, if you are on web2 (which was swapped out due to a fault over Christmas). I take your point about the communications, i will check, but i think the only formal way embc and LA's can contact the school is via normal letter to the Head. I will see if we can augment that in the future by mining for email details from our servicedesk app for the last person to log a call on (in this example) webhosting, which should be typically someone like yourself. obviously its just an idea at this stage and could be shot down in flames at some point, but i will look into it.

15. Thanks to gonzodad from:

andy_d (7th January 2011)

Thank Post
    gonzodad - do you happen to know if the SQL servers (MSSQL and MySQL) are on the web servers or on separate boxes. Interestingly our main website was slow/unloadable during the previous batch of snow (which is Joomla based and reliant on SQL), however I've dropped a static HTML page in place which loads fine every time (and usually quite quickly...).

Cheers

Will

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast