+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Nottinghamshire members - One County, One Network in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); So apparently the 5U is due to: 1U rack mounted router, 1U for a switch to split multiple connections, 1 ...

Thank Post
    So apparently the 5U is due to: 1U rack mounted router, 1U for a switch to split multiple connections, 1 port for each internal site (eg school and council, or 2 schools), 2.5U for the fiber tray, and round up

Thank Post
    Apologies for resurrecting old thread, but it's the same thing...

What have people's experiences been with the install/upgrade of their router. Middle of December we had an engineer appear (unexpectedly) with our new router (BT had fortunately already been and sorted the circuit - scheduled work which dates had been discussed with me), confirgured it, plugged it into the new circuit and got nothing back from the other end. He then went off to a couple of other schools, came back later that day and tried again - but apparently there was a lot of configuration that still needed doing for us further back upstream...

Slightly disappointed by that, but recevied a phone call the start of the next week to book an engineer in to complete the work. On the day of the work, emailed all staff to inform them that there would be a short network outage at some point during the day as we were moved across. About 10 mins after sending the email, got a call to say engineer not coming...

And that's it. No further contact, no further engineer visits, still on old circuit and old router with new router in rack, powered on, connected to new circuit and, I assume, ready to go with a couple of changeover bits.

Anyone else had issues like this? Anyone know who I could contact to find out what on earth is going on with the installation (tried the OCON team, and they've forwarded query to someone, but had no response)?

Cheers

Will

Thank Post
    Short answer - total farce!

1. Electrical contractor said we would need a new cabinet and therefore we'd have to empty the existing one, with all our servers in, to move it over and accomodate theirs. Told them politely that there was no chance.
    2. Then told they could mount a small cabinet on the wall instead but I still expressed reservations.
    3. Told would need more power sockets but I pointed out there were 2 unused at ceiling level. Informed LEA about all of above.
    4. BT turn up unannounced and ask for access to server room. Allow it and told by them that router can be wall mounted where our old, unused BT NTE was still mounted and actually show me a diagram. Informed LEA about various people turning up unannounced was not acceptable.
    5. BT engineers then come and install two new fibre tails.
    6. Electrical contractors turn up unannounced at 4pm to install power sockets. He says he will install them in the trunking, which would require that to be disconnected therefore switching off power to all of server room. Told him no and that there are already 2 sockets at ceiling level. He then mentions small cabinet on wall and during discussion claims that BT don't know what they are talking about as it router can't be mounted on wall. Informed LEA.
    7. Phone call from electrical contractors saying they have an order for a small, wall mounted cabinet so want to arrange coming in and fitting it. Told them it wasn't necessary. Informed LEA.
    8. Sub-contractor on behalf of Synetrix arrives unannounced to fit mounting board in server room. Told him he can't but would allow him to see where it would need to be fitted. Fetched Site Manager to ask what would be required from paperwork who told them that as we are a CLASP building an asbestos survey would be required prior to any work commencing. Subby will supposedly inform Synetrix who will inform LEA.

Thank Post
    So far so good but not looking forward to the next bit. They are insisting we need a new larger cabinet, fair enough as it is packed; only I cannot see how a larger one can fit. 3 people have come in and looked with photos taken. When they rang up to confirm the date for the install I asked them to double check the photos and all is ok according to them. There is no space under or above the cab not even half a CM and the wall cannot take much more weight. I am really not looking forward to that install.

I think we had one unannounced visit. On the whole everyone rang in first and been pretty good.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 2nd February 2011 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Just had our router changed over. As we had space in the cab for the new router, it was installed along side the existing system. It was then just a case of swapping the cable over.
    As things stand, its working. Speedtest giving us 45MB download and 25MB upload.

Gary

Thank Post
    Apparently they want to keep both connections and both routers running until everything works on the new system, so you can easily switch back to embc if there's a problem.

BT guy came today to survey for fiber install at one location, already been to 1 other. Not heard anything about the other 2, we're last as usual

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12