+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC and Sparklebox in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); As mentioned in the YHGfL forum the statement from EMBC on this matter is available at embc take action to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

EMBC and Sparklebox

As mentioned in the YHGfL forum the statement from EMBC on this matter is available at embc take action to Block "SparkleBox" along with other RBCs and Local Authorities

Northamptonshire has now sent out an email to all heads on this matter.

2. 7 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

apoth0r (8th January 2010), bossman (6th January 2010), kaphc (6th January 2010), russdev (7th January 2010), Scruff (6th January 2010), stevenlong1985 (7th January 2010), synaesthesia (7th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Wow! All those lovely play-doh activities and sign-in sheets are gone!

Who'd have thought it? Bit of a scandal!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    When are the authorities gonna wise up that once a sex offender always a sex offender they are the most likely group in society to re-offend and keep re-offending they should just put these predetors out of their misery.

There is no excuse for it :-(

Thank Post
    Netlinc (Lincolnshire) are currently not blocking or advising those running their own filtering to block:

Dear Staff,

You may be aware that a number of local authorities, and a number of regional broadband consortia have blocked access to an educational resource which is widely used called Sparklebox. Currently, the reasons given for the widespread blocking are unsubstantiated by any authoritative body, and are therefore based on hearsay and speculation.

Within Lincolnshire, this online resource is accessed approximately a quarter of a million times each week. Therefore any block to this resource could be detrimental to the daily curriculum. There is also the legal question of blocking legitimate educational sites based on unsubstantiated informatiion.

Becta are taking appropriate action to advise nationally, quote "This matter is in hand with the appropriate authorities and a statement will be made when we have legal clearance to do so" unquote.

Therefore, Lincolnshire County Council will not be blocking this resource until such time formal information is received that there is an issue of security or safeguarding, or that Becta have formally advised to block the resource.

Please note, if advice is received to block the resource, this will be carried out immediately. I will inform you as soon as practically possible that this has been done.

Kind Regards

Thank Post
    Therefore, Lincolnshire County Council will not be blocking this resource until such time formal information is received that there is an issue of security or safeguarding
    Seems like this has already been determined if CEOP are recommending it be blocked.

Thank Post
    Worcestershire has blocked it.

Thank Post
    BGFL has blocked it too

Thank Post
    Blocked in Leicester!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Blocked in Leicester!
    Yes its blocked across the whole of the embc.

Thank Post
    But not in lincolnshire - which is in the EMBC

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    But not in lincolnshire - which is in the EMBC
    Ah yes, if I am correct Lincs doesn't work quite the same as the other embc LAs does it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In general Lincolnshire take a feed from EMBC but manage their own services centrally. When talking about EMBC, Lincolnshire members should go to Lincolnshire CC for information.

Thank Post
    When are the authorities gonna wise up that once a sex offender always a sex offender they are the most likely group in society to re-offend and keep re-offending they should just put these predetors out of their misery.
    I did jury service on an "interesting" predatory paedophile case. Another one had recently been too much national "news" for much too long, so I expected to be amongst a hysterical lynch mob but everyone appeared to be extremely objective i.e. when making decisions that would definitely affect a real person, they seemed to take it very, very seriously indeed. It took years for my natural cynicism about the Great British public to recover.

Anyway, we unanimously settled on guilty re. the charge that mattered and afterwards (because you were not allowed to know before) learnt they were a repeat offender. That was a consolation given our verdict and the likely sentence i.e. the probability we were right went up a bit more.

Later I wondered enough to go looking, and the numbers I found said the chances of a sex offender (which covers a wide variety of things) being convicted for a second sexual offence was apparently about 1 in 4. The highest for a specific offence was 1 in 3. Of course some might not get caught the next time, but it seems reasonable to guess at a worst case of 1 in 2 do NOT reoffend.

So if we put two first offenders in front of you with some kind of big red button for you to press, which one(s) are you going to put "out of their misery"? And what would pushing that button make you? Or is this just something you just want other people i.e. the "authorities", to do for you?

[If anyone's got some better recent numbers then please share. Not that you'll find anything meaningful re. this thread's specific and relatively new first offence until another decade or two has passed.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I did jury service on an "interesting" predatory paedophile case. Another one had recently been too much national "news" for much too long, so I expected to be amongst a hysterical lynch mob but everyone appeared to be extremely objective i.e. when making decisions that would definitely affect a real person, they seemed to take it very, very seriously indeed. It took years for my natural cynicism about the Great British public to recover.
    My experience was the opposite: I was none-too-convinced that the accused was guilty of more than stupidity, but everyone else was all for castrating him.

Many of the same people wanted to let a cocaine smuggler walk as "his shoes were well polished".

Thank Post
    My experience was the opposite: I was none-too-convinced that the accused was guilty of more than stupidity, but everyone else was all for castrating him.
    Maybe I just got lucky with my definitely random walks-of-life lot then.

Many of the same people wanted to let a cocaine smuggler walk as "his shoes were well polished".
    OTOH I think you got unlucky.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast