+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, SUMS - Add user query in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Just added a new staff user for the second time. Both times, it created the username and automatically put '01' ...
    Thank Post

SUMS - Add user query

Just added a new staff user for the second time. Both times, it created the username and automatically put '01' at the end of the teachers surname. As a result, their email address is:

[forename inital][Surname]01@kingswood-pri.northants.sch.uk

Prior to SUMS, any staff users we created would just use the inital and surname without a number suffix (providing a user didn't already have the same combination)

My question is why SUMS seems to be adding number suffixes to all staff users? If the username hasn't been used already, what is the need for a number suffix?

Also, and perhaps I'm being rather vain, it doesn't make for a very nice looking email address!!

Is there any way to change this?

Any thoughts?

Andy -

Thank Post
    My question is why SUMS seems to be adding number suffixes to all staff users? If the username hasn't been used already, what is the need for a number suffix?
    Perhaps it's to prepare for the eventuality that a staff member with the same name might turn up at some point in the future? I do agree, it's quite odd. Have you tried logging a call with Synetrix?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at https://portal.embc.uk.com/SchoolsLi...ils/index.aspx (login required) and check your general settings are correct [forename initial][surname]@[domain] rather than [first initial][surname][N]@[domain]. If it is without [N] and still doing it then raise a call with Synetrix as a possible SUMS fault. If it is just a case of it has swapped over for some reason let me know and I'll check if it is something I've done (or haven't done!) or if it is a fault.

Thank Post
    Thanks Tony,

Have checked our site settings, and our email address format is actually set to [username]@[domain].

Not sure if their is a glip between what i am seeing on screen, and what is actually happening when i add staff users.

I've just created another staff user, who has a very obscure, and probably unique surname, and the username has just been created with 01 stuck on the end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy -

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you not still add an alias more to you/your staff's liking? Always handy when you've got teachers called John Smith or Anita Patel to save the 5 digit random number afterwards

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebadee View Post
    Thanks Tony,

Have checked our site settings, and our email address format is actually set to [username]@[domain].

Not sure if their is a glip between what i am seeing on screen, and what is actually happening when i add staff users.

I've just created another staff user, who has a very obscure, and probably unique surname, and the username has just been created with 01 stuck on the end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy -
    Call it in to the Helpdesk if you can ... if nothing else get them to check you are not missing something.

Thank Post
    I created a new user on SUMS this week who ended up with <firstinitial><surname>01@ as their e-mail address.

I'm not at work at the moment so I can't check this, but I think I remember seeing something on the home page FAQs section about all new user e-mail addresses now being created in this format as a default.

Whether this can be overridden or not, I'd be interested to find out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It can be overriden. If you have a look at the video I linked to it shows you how to set your site defaults.

9. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

kaphc (20th November 2009)

Thank Post
    OK ... so on the FAQs it says ...

"New users are now provisioned with a two digit number after the name identifier?
    This is the new format for usernames and is the template for SUM, this cannot be changed. "

But it actually can then - willl check out your video and not believe everything SUMS tells me.

Thank you.

Thank Post
    Since when was SUMS hosted on a Vtech? This is slow!

Thank Post
    Looks like it's working now, users don't have 01, and neither do their emails, which I could never get to change properly, still really need an option to select which alias is the default for From:

Thank Post
    Except now it won't let me change usernames, sigh, and no option to delete users, only disable, I forget how long before they're deleted

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread