+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC and LP+ in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Howdy folks, Just wondering if there's anything news-wise regarding the forward movement of EMBC and LP+. I've been told a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries

EMBC and LP+

Howdy folks,

Just wondering if there's anything news-wise regarding the forward movement of EMBC and LP+. I've been told a couple of times that "things are being looked into" but until then, there's still a hell of a lot of primary schools battling with more username and password combinations that can be remembered by most sane adults, let alone primary age children.

Most schools are still baffled by LP+ anyway, and frankly I'm not entirely sure why they both exist with their roles crossing over at more than one point. So, if there's any information that is due to alleviate this, I and many folks would appreciate it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where to start ... ok ... the simple thing first.

Single sign on between EMBC and Enable. EMBC have SSO working for a number of systems now via Shibboleth ... LP+ are in the process of enabling the test systems and I hope to give news about where we are at the IT Managers' meeting on the 14th. LP+ have had to wait for the LA to sign a few things off before they could continue with this as the priority is getting work done with schools using the platform rather than the added extras. So yes ... some red tape has held this up and I do apologies for that, but would rather than things working in *all* areas, not just LP+, EMBC, or other stuff that is going on (James and co can fill you in after the meeting).

Yes, EMBC and LP+ run sharepoint systems ... but what is presently available from Synetrix for Northants is not a Learning Platform though they do have a variety of things in development. Folk using Leeds Learning Network are using some of it at the moment. Also, Synetrix do not have the educational consultants to work with the school on the use of Learning Platforms ... and before folk say that this should be the job of the LA, the LA do not have the staff for it which is why we have a solution from a company that can provide that expertise and capacity. It is not simply about a technical solution ... but involves helping schools make significant educational changes.

We presently have schools getting ready to pilot the reporting web-parts in Enable and this will be shown at the next meeting too.

Enable is also there as a common, collaborative solution to allow schools to access things like diploma materials, functional skills, etc ... areas are growing for School Improvement, ASTs, RQTs, Heads, Bursars / Business Managers ... without forcing schools to frop existing, embeded VLEs or other projects they are working on. The only reason the ICT Support area isn't on there anymore is that too many people said that they were not getting accounts from the schools they support and I didn't want to exclude your lot or any of the other 3rd party support providers ... so we now have a site on Ning.com. If you would like access PM me you work email and let James and Graham know I am giving you access. If I could get all of you to the IT Managers' meetign I would do ... but not sure if your bosses would allow that.

If you want to stand me a pint of coke and a bar of chocolate I can try to explain what I can about the procurement of various things ... the Coke to keep me awake and the chocolate to relieve the stress. A few people have heard me rant about some of this before (thanks to Kim for saving my sanity on a few occasions!) but I am trying to keep people in the loop a bit more. Not all communication will be via EduGeek and is likely to be firstly by official channels (Schools Factsheet, ICT in Schools section on NCC website, IT Managers' Network Meetings).

If you (or others) have queries

Thank Post
    Always a pleasure.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 817 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic, some great information.
    The biggest trouble I'm having is only having exposure to EMBC and LP+ through dealing with them on behalf of schools, and haven't really taken the time to look into it myself (ala this thread) further.

What appears to be a bit of an issue from the schools POV is one of two things; the school gets information about these subjects in their bursars inbox and either a) they don't understand it, therefore file it away and forget about it/hand it to me to sort out or b) they don't have the time to try and read or understand it and it gets filed in their email inbox until the end of time

This is obviously adding to the lack of understanding about the differences and functions of each, and I'd like to be able to explain them a bit better. Although I'm aware of LP+'s intention and function, schools appear to be a little confuddled over things like email for both EMBC/LP+ and of course the different signons for each.

I've only got one school that is really making headway with LP+, making full use of the collaborative resources and what not, and it works really well, it's just taken a hell of a lot of work and me/them complaining about LP+ Connect not working half sharp at the time

All I had heard previously was literally rumours of a SSO and as a result didn't want to go shouting that about as gospel truth - it will be good to be able to mention that as something that may happen within the not too distant future as well as keep the schools in the loop, even if it is just a nudge towards their email inbox to read the information they've been sent

I'll probably mention my intention to keep in the loop a bit to James but I'd rather leave managerial type stuff to them - don't want to tread on anyone's toes! Just really needed to see where things are heading.

As usual, thanks for taking the time to explain - much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yep, I know stuff gets 'filed' away ... which is why I try and make as much of an effort as possible to share stuff directy with those providing support to schools (in-house or external) but getting hold of the right people is really hard at times. Always open to suggestions.

Thank Post
    Hi
    1st time posting on here, so I hope it isn't totally irrelevant...

Is it possible to have our EMBC emails directed to our shiny, new LP+ accounts? The idea being to phase out the EMBC addresses over time?
    If so, who do I need to get hold of? .ICT? Synetrix?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Hi

Is it possible to have our EMBC emails directed to our shiny, new LP+ accounts? The idea being to phase out the EMBC addresses over time?
    Cheers
    A couple of options there for you (will also PM you too to sort out which school you are from).

You can use the existing LP+ based email addresses of user@school.lpplus.net. Some schools are doing this for students and using .sch.uk (hosted with EMBC or hosted internally) for staff.

Within EMBC's filters (EMF/WebRoot) you can point the destination mail server to be what you want. This is how schools with internally hosted mail servers get their mail in. All MX records point to the mail relay / filter and then it passes on to your box. If you wish to use your .sch.uk domain then you can point the mail to LP+'s servers. LP+ can then set up mail aliases for you (this involves a chunk of work by the LP+ support desk so will have to check if there is a charge on this as it is now out of what we have paid for them to provide) and it means mail you send go from the correct address too.

We do have a case study of doing this for a school already so that should be fine to go through with you.

Migration of mailboxes is not possible right now (costs from both Synetrix and LP+) but you can do a chunk of it yourself for staff via PST files. I am pretty sure that one school has posted a script used to move from one hosted exchange system to Live@Edu ... it should work in this case too.

.ICT don't have anything to do with EMBC or LP+ in this context. They are just a support provider for Northants schools, but they do run the SLAs for SIMS support but I can talk you through that too (as can a few other members on here)

Thank Post
    Hi

Cheers
    We're in Cumbria but use LP+ too. We don't use name@school.lpplus.org - LP+ set up email addresses for us - name@schoolname.org and setup the MX records.

We then redirected our old mail (name@school.cumbria.sch.uk provided by CLEO) to our new LP+ accounts. It seems to work well for us. It's the same for staff and students here.

All mail is sent from LP+ exchange servers so even if folks send to old address any replies they get are from new addresses if that makes sense. We are also encouraging staff to give out only their new address.

On another note I'd be interested to meet any Northants folks that are going to the Birmingham LP+ conference on Thursday to compare notes as whenever something doesn't work as LP+ plan they will often say "well it works in Northants"
    Last edited by jcollings; 3rd November 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    jcollings - that sounds like what I had in mind. I'll be at the conference on Thursday - seek me out if you can - I'm sure that not everything works over our way
    cheers

Chris Dicken

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I'll be there too. Catch you both on Thursday.

Thank Post
    jcollings - that sounds like what I had in mind. I'll be at the conference on Thursday - seek me out if you can - I'm sure that not everything works over our way
    cheers

Chris Dicken
    What conference is that then??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    What conference is that then??
    This one
    Learning Possibilities

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread