+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Unblocking Youtube in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I've been asked to unblock Youtube for a lesson but unblocking YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. allows the text and graphics ...
    Thank Post

Unblocking Youtube

I've been asked to unblock Youtube for a lesson but unblocking YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. allows the text and graphics through but not the videos. What else do I need to unblock?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    I've been asked to unblock Youtube for a lesson but unblocking YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. allows the text and graphics through but not the videos. What else do I need to unblock?
    You need to unblock .flv files as well.

What type of web filter are you using?

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Easier to give them Level 1 filtering and get them to login to the portal perhaps?

EIS 27-Apr-2009
    An embc decision has been made that means from 1st May 2009 You Tube will be available to all users with Level 1 filtering.
    Then its not open for the kids to access.

Thank Post

Smile

Ask the staff what video they require from You Tube, then go to google, type in the title of the video, then copy the URL of the you tube link without clicking on the link. (Under each search result in google, there is a URL), then go to Zamzar - Free online file conversion which will download it for you into any format you like. If you don't have much space on your servers, upload it to a storage site i.e. YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement and give the staff the link to it.
    Sorted :-)

P.s. This all works even when the smart filter is in place
    Last edited by oalcock; 30th September 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Smart Filter Compatability

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    Ask the staff what video they require from You Tube, then go to google, type in the title of the video, then copy the URL of the you tube link without clicking on the link. (Under each search result in google, there is a URL), then go to Zamzar - Free online file conversion which will download it for you into any format you like. If you don't have much space on your servers, upload it to a storage site i.e. YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement and give the staff the link to it.

Is this a cunning trap???!

I went to that site and it hurled popups at me and refused to let me navigate away from it...be careful folks!

I always thought that copying material from YouTube was against their T&C hence illegal!

Thank Post
    I have been using ZamZar now for 7 months, and I mean proper using it, like once a week. I like it; but its up to yourself if you want to use it or not. I haven't got any junk mail from it or viruses, I just recon its sound for downloading videos.
    If you want to go into how downloading from you tube is illegal, if you research into the copyright laws into more depth, you will find it is for personal home use anyway and not for enterprise use.
    Maybe try a better pop up blocker? Or try turning pop up blocker on? as I have just gone onto the site now and not 1 pop up has come up.

Thank Post
    Have you tried just adding 'youtube' to the keywords filter, local allow list in Netsweeper?

8. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Jobos (30th September 2009)

Thank Post
    I have been using ZamZar now for 7 months, and I mean proper using it, like once a week. I like it; but its up to yourself if you want to use it or not. I haven't got any junk mail from it or viruses, I just recon its sound for downloading videos.
    If you want to go into how downloading from you tube is illegal, if you research into the copyright laws into more depth, you will find it is for personal home use anyway and not for enterprise use.
    Maybe try a better pop up blocker? Or try turning pop up blocker on? as I have just gone onto the site now and not 1 pop up has come up.

I simply gave a warning for those who want to use that website. I said be careful...I didnt say do not use it. Your own personal experience of a website does not mean that others will have the same experience...differing versions of java/flash/anti-virus etc will yield varying results.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As sparkeh said, level 1 filtering (aimed at use by adults) now allows access to YouTube. If you are using Local Control of Filtering you will need to add it to your white list and not restrict any extension.

Have you tried giving your 1st line a call about it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    As sparkeh said, level 1 filtering (aimed at use by adults) now allows access to YouTube. If you are using Local Control of Filtering you will need to add it to your white list and not restrict any extension.

Have you tried giving your 1st line a call about it?
    Thanks for the info. I've called 1st line about it is it should be a simple task

Would giving the user level 1 filtering work when they are going through our proxy?
    Last edited by Jobos; 30th September 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Have you tried just adding 'youtube' to the keywords filter, local allow list in Netsweeper?
    In the case of netsweeper less is more. You were right... 'youtube' worked but 'www.youtube.com' and '*.youtube.com' failed!

13. Thanks to Jobos from:

Edu-IT (30th September 2009)

Thank Post

I favour Download Youtube Video. Just add 'Kiss'! Keep It Super Simple. - KissYouTube

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    If you're just working at a domain blocking/unblocking level, most of the visual content on youtube.com comes from ytimg.com. The videos (.flv files if you have file blocking enabled) do come from youtube.com but from various subdomains so only unblocking YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. will also stop videos playing...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTSM View Post
    I simply gave a warning for those who want to use that website. I said be careful...I didnt say do not use it. Your own personal experience of a website does not mean that others will have the same experience...differing versions of java/flash/anti-virus etc will yield varying results.
    ZamZar is a usefull and pretty good website. I use this all times and out teachers use this but we never encounter any problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast