+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, School domains - who do I talk to? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I am helping out a Northamptonshire school set up their emails. However, they have not been allocated a .northants.sch.uk domain. ...
    Thank Post

School domains - who do I talk to?

I am helping out a Northamptonshire school set up their emails. However, they have not been allocated a .northants.sch.uk domain. Can anyone point me in the right direction as who I need to speak to to get one set up for them?

Thank Post
    Here Contact Us - Northamptonshire County Council would be my first guess. They can probably point you in the right direction.

3. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

docboggle (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

5. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by docboggle View Post
    I am helping out a Northamptonshire school set up their emails. However, they have not been allocated a .northants.sch.uk domain. Can anyone point me in the right direction as who I need to speak to to get one set up for them?
    Back in the office today.
    Dropping you a PM with my direct number shortly.

Thank Post
    Norm is to contact Nominet. They need a letter headed fax from the school.

8. Thanks to matt40k from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Summary of the process.

Contact Nominet with your School name, postcode and DCSF number. They will tell you what the domain name is, who holds the tags and then try to charge you for changing things.

1 - If your tag is with Nominet (ie never issued to anyone such as you ISP or other web host) the you should be able to get it released with no charge to the ISP of your choice. This will take a letter-headed paper to be faxed through to Nominet (they will give you the fax number on the line and the contact person for it to go to) and this will set you up with an online account where you can make the changes yourself.

2 - If your tag is with another provider (eg if you previously had your website with company x they may hold the tag still) and you should contact them about releasing it to your new tag holders. They may charge for this as it does require some administration. Contact your new tag holder and inform them of who the outgoing holder is and they should pick it up, put entries into their DNS and so on. If your existing tag holder is not helpful then you can get Nominet to force a change (chargeable) to your new tag holder.

3 - It is possible to have your tags with company X and DNS with company Y. An example would be using a .org domain with an RBC (who use nominet ... and so only deal with .uk domains) then you can have Network Solutions with the tags and pointing to the RBC's DNS setup. Or you can just use Network Solutions' DNS I suppose.

For Northants ... please drop me a PM or email as we have a few schools who need this and we are trying to help where we can.

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone, especially GrumbleDook (who now has all of my details, so there is no escape!)

I am facing Option 1 of GrumbleDook's post, and was advised by Nominet that it will incur £10+VAT charge. Will try to sweet talk them though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by docboggle View Post
    I am facing Option 1 of GrumbleDook's post, and was advised by Nominet that it will incur £10+VAT charge. Will try to sweet talk them though
    I though this was completely paid for by the DCSF (or someone)?

Thank Post
    If you need nominet to force a change of tagging then you have to pay them for it.

Fax the forms pay the money job done.

Ben

Thank Post
    When we wanted to move from our LEA's provider BT to a 3rd party host the LEA wanted a change request fee of approx £1000 to do it so we took the nominet option.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I though this was completely paid for by the DCSF (or someone)?
    The domain is funded by DCSF but administrative changes are not, and this is an administrative change.

A few years back Nominet said that they had done their work, sent info out to schools and schools had to respond by a particular date to take control of their domain (ie pass the tags to someone). It's only fair that if a school hasn't done it when there was a fair chance to do so that the schools coughs up some cash to get someone to do the work.

Previously I've been able to sweet talk into getting it for gratis, but forced changes always cost! This is not a forced change so I wish docboggle some luck with being a smooth talking bar steward.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

matt40k (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Once upon a time, which wasn't all that long ago, you didn't have "tags" or charges for any of this. Consequently it took me cumulative days of increasingly irritating faffing about with Nominet to get them to change the NS records for a co.uk domain, and of course to do that without sending me a bill.

Despite the above comment about Nominet holding unassigned tags, no one, but no one, in that organisation appeared to have the capacity to cope with the idea that *.uk domains that preceded Nominet's existence would not have tag holders - I wasn't an ISP and they couldn't cope.

I'm still a bit gob-smacked by this rather special UK arrangement that insists an ISP "holds" the "tag" rather than the organisation.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 24th April 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A little bit off topic, but if i wanted to get another .sch.uk domain for our school am i able to do so?

The reason i ask, and it sounds so stupid i know but at the moment we are getting the excuse from staff that they dont use there school email as they cannot remember the email address.

our current domain is bhtc.sandwell.sch.uk am i able to get another domain name for example bhtc.sch.uk ? or would i have to just get a normal .co.uk

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    A little bit off topic, but if i wanted to get another .sch.uk domain for our school am i able to do so?

The reason i ask, and it sounds so stupid i know but at the moment we are getting the excuse from staff that they dont use there school email as they cannot remember the email address.

our current domain is bhtc.sandwell.sch.uk am i able to get another domain name for example bhtc.sch.uk ? or would i have to just get a normal .co.uk

James.
    It's not a proper answer to your question, more of a way around that works for me.
    I had the same claim (grr!) and ended up going to 123-reg.co.uk and buying schoolname.co.uk and setting up forwarding of all email @schoolname.co.uk to samename@schoolname.la.sch.uk
    Works perfectly for us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah were not the only one then

Yeah thats what i was going to do, pain setting up forwarders etc but hey if it shuts them up who cares!

just thought i would ask about the sch.uk though.

Ta

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast