+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Netsweeper URLs in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I am trying to unblock part of a site in Netsweeper with EMBC. Say the site is Example Web Page ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Netsweeper URLs

I am trying to unblock part of a site in Netsweeper with EMBC.

Say the site is Example Web Page and I want to unblock a page at www.example.com/foo - I enter http://www.example.com/foo in the Netsweeper allow list, and that page is accessible but anything past that page, eg www.example.com/foo/images is still blocked.

This is a problem as the page to unblock needs the images from the images folder so ends up not displaying correctly.

Is there anyway to unblock websites past a certain point, eg like using a wildcard: www.example.com/foo/* in the way you can wildcard in the other direction - eg http://*.example.com?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts

Exclamation

When i was an EMBC user netsweeper was a real pain.
    i think we figured out that the allow list was overriding the deny list.

thus, if anything in the allow list lies within an explicity denied url/keyword then it is allowed. odd but i'm sure that's the case.

i'm sure it was that way round and not vice versa (can't think straight time to go home) but basically if you deny proxy.org but then allow ox, then you've bypassed your own restriction.

you should do some tests yourself to make sure and also check your allow/deny lists thoroughly as there definitely was a flaw and it's unlikely to have been fixed. i think when we raised it they got confused and or decided to call canada or some such excuse!

actually re-reading both our posts. i think that is what you want. you can block example.com and unblock example.com/foo and anything that contains example.com/foo will be allowed. there's no reason for the * if it still works the way it did.

in our case it was an effect we didn't want as per above example, because if we put bbc / ocr in the allow list for whatever reason if a dodgy site used ocr as part of it's url it wouldn't be blocked!!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th January 2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: rethink / re-read

Thank Post
    Seems the wild card for netsweeper is putting http:// at the front, thats what the monkey at the other end of the phone told me anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for you replies but still can't seem to do what I want.
    In the end I unblocked the entire site as it was needed for a lesson.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts

Exclamation

It's easier and better to get your own filtering in house. There's plenty of options, and even some free ones.
    I had no end of trouble with netsweeper, and the support team, starting with them resetting our account multiple times and along with it out entire list of allow / deny urls. only to be told they had no backups!!

Thank Post
    *Tom Wakes Up*

Did someone mention ....filtering...?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread