+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Filtering Service in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Our LA host our VLE outside of EMBC so we're in a similar boat to you there. To be honest, ...

Thank Post
    Our LA host our VLE outside of EMBC so we're in a similar boat to you there.

To be honest, our staff don't use the VLE enough yet for it to have crippled plans but it did however stop us running our Midyis and Yellis online tests which really wound the staff up and it's not the first time this week....

What winds me up is that it took them over 24hrs to work out they (again) had servers in their rotation that shouldn't be there. We've experienced this type of slack systems management with Exchange boxes, Squids, and now this.

Thank Post
    ...all of which re-inforces the viewpoint in the south-east corner of our region at least, that schools that have the technical staff on-site to manage their own connection should be left alone to get on with it.

We did ask for that once - a plain vanilla internet feed from EMBC that we could filter and manage ourselves to BECTA standards, using services that suited our schools individual requirements.

They said no, because the RBC was there to do that for us and that represented "best value" (this term comes up a lot in our region). Surely it must also have represented "fitness for purpose" at some stage, but we can't remember that far back.

Thank Post
    We did ask for that once - a plain vanilla internet feed from EMBC that we could filter and manage ourselves to BECTA standards, using services that suited our schools individual requirements.
    There's nothing stopping you doing that to an extent...

Declare a site wide filtering policy at level1 which allows pretty much everything, employ your own squids/etc and hey presto off you go.

We're in the midst of employing our own squid server internally to give us whitelist access without needing the kids to log into EMBC to find their set to "allow only".

Thank Post
    Yeah, we kind of do that with our own ISA boxes at the moment - but even so there is always this level of EMBC-ness that is lurking in the background, getting in the way when you don't want it to.

Like today with the filtering service issues - if schools were allowed to run their own in-house with the EMBC offering disabled, this wouldn't have been the issue it was for many.

But that's not in the spirit of a centrally-manged service. Or BSF.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are still getting the redirect problem - anyone else seeing this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess Im not the only one:

Quote Originally Posted by T2S
    02/10/2008 10.17
    Some end users are reporting they are still affected by the URL page redirection issue. Initial investigations by our technical teams show the previous errors found on the policy servers are not present, we are still exploring this and other avenues, as well as working with the affected end users to establish if any other local conditions could be a contributing factor.

We appreciate your continued patience while we fully investigate this issue.

Thank Post
    We aren't getting the redirect issue this morning, but our bursar and head are upset that their email retrieval isn't working like it did yesterday!

We had issues all week with redirect etc., but I have to say that EMBC have been great with us in the past few months- they have given us a bucket load of technical support concerning port opening and VLE setup etc. So it's not all bad (I suppose).

I still can't get them to send me a password for WAT though, and that ticks me off. We too have thought about going it alone, but have never (yet) made the plunge...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, Paul is sorted for WAT now (oooh ... the power!!!) but a quick update for Northants members only!

If you are having problems with access on the admin network (172.x.x.x rnage) to northants-ecl email accounts work is going on. For those that don't understand the structure ... the admin network travels via a VLAN through the EMBC and enters the NCC Corporate firewall where traffic for NCC resources go to the NCC Corporate network and EMBC / Internet stuff gets router out back to the EMBC having undergone NAT to a curriculum address (10.x.x.x). This means when there is a fault we have to deal with up to 5 different companies to identify where the fault lies. That means it takes longer to fix. This is not good and so we already have plans to do the routing / NAT within the EMBC so we remove a chunk of the issues. It takes it down to 3 companies (the email provider, Synetrix and Affiniti). I'll let people know when this is planned (information also going on to the schools fact sheet) but it'll be half-term at the earliest.

The redirect ... work is still going on but if there are any more Northants members with ISA (or other proxies) onsite can they drop me a PM?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Ok, Paul is sorted for WAT now (oooh ... the power!!!) but a quick update for Northants members only!

If you are having problems with access on the admin network (172.x.x.x rnage) to northants-ecl email accounts work is going on. For those that don't understand the structure ... the admin network travels via a VLAN through the EMBC and enters the NCC Corporate firewall where traffic for NCC resources go to the NCC Corporate network and EMBC / Internet stuff gets router out back to the EMBC having undergone NAT to a curriculum address (10.x.x.x). This means when there is a fault we have to deal with up to 5 different companies to identify where the fault lies. That means it takes longer to fix. This is not good and so we already have plans to do the routing / NAT within the EMBC so we remove a chunk of the issues. It takes it down to 3 companies (the email provider, Synetrix and Affiniti). I'll let people know when this is planned (information also going on to the schools fact sheet) but it'll be half-term at the earliest.

The redirect ... work is still going on but if there are any more Northants members with ISA (or other proxies) onsite can they drop me a PM?
    Bah!

Humbug!

WAT still isn't working for me

Paul

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    There's nothing stopping you doing that to an extent...

Declare a site wide filtering policy at level1 which allows pretty much everything, employ your own squids/etc and hey presto off you go.

We're in the midst of employing our own squid server internally to give us whitelist access without needing the kids to log into EMBC to find their set to "allow only".

We found that E2BN didn't filter a lot of the sites we felt were unsuitable, so I found an old box (PIII 750, 256Mb RAM) and set up a Censornet (CensorNet - The Open Source Internet Protection Solution). It is basically a tweaked squid/Dansguardian, with LDAP importing facilities so you can add all your students at once.
    The ICT co-ordinator/teacher loves it, it helps keep the kids "on task" and if theres' a site that the RBC don't filter, we can add it in a matter of seconds.

Another one to look, IMHO, is Untangle, this provides loads of services and can be run either standalone or on a spare Windoze XP machine.
    Last edited by ilisle; 2nd October 2008 at 12:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Bah!

Humbug!

WAT still isn't working for me

Paul
    You can borrow mine if you like? Terrorise my users?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WAT is working .. Access to EMF and NetSweeper wasn't ... now being sorted.

Sheesh ... network managers can't even explain their problems right!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12