+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, old Proxy returning to haunt me :( in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Please accept my apoliges for my ignorance! Have removed old embc proxy settings from IE but on restart of the ...

Thank Post

old Proxy returning to haunt me :(

Please accept my apoliges for my ignorance!
    Have removed old embc proxy settings from IE but on restart of the pc they are back again! Must be missing something basic as usual. :$
    thanks for any help

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you give a bit more info on your setup?Do you usually input proxy details manually?Sounds like there is something setting the proxy on boot (eg DHCP, gpo, startup script etc).

Thank Post
    We're having the same problem on our networked machines. RM CC4.
    Have contacted RM and they have sent a script to run - but it has only worked on a handful of machines or for certain users. It is causing issues for pupils rather than staff. We're still looking for a solution...

Thank Post
    Thx Sparkeh. This particular school is very small. No network so to speak off (no server ). Just two office machines and half a dozen class pcs. They are all xp machines. They use to run through EMBC (hence posting here) but have moved over to schoolsbroadband.
    I've removed the proxy settings in IE and changed the home page but on restart it reverts back to embc settings. Theres an entry in the reg that I've even deleted under desperation but on restart that comes back. There must be a script somewhere running that brings them back (?) but I'm not sure where to check for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, I've had this at one of mine - I think SB might have actually missed something relevant to RM systems. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where it is, but hunt around your GPO's directly for proxy settings, I bet they're still there The proxy settings in the management console are effectively copied elsewhere in group policy and removal of that alone doesn't always do the trick. On CC4 I *think* you can click the box twice so there's a red cross in it which overrides any other settings, but not in CC3.

If you find it please let someone at support@talk-straight.com know straight away so they can write it up into their procedures for RM CC networks.

Thank Post
    did you search the entry in regedit? it may give you a clue of where the setting is being copy from.
    @percy run the RSoP (How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003) on a client machine of the CC4 network, it may give you a hint of which policy is given the proxy setting

good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Ah, I've had this at one of mine - I think SB might have actually missed something relevant to RM systems. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where it is, but hunt around your GPO's directly for proxy settings, I bet they're still there The proxy settings in the management console are effectively copied elsewhere in group policy and removal of that alone doesn't always do the trick. On CC4 I *think* you can click the box twice so there's a red cross in it which overrides any other settings, but not in CC3.

If you find it please let someone at support@talk-straight.com know straight away so they can write it up into their procedures for RM CC networks.
    Hi folks,

I know it needs to be taken out of Group Policy which our engineers do as standard on site. I believe we've found the issue on CC4. The guys in the office will be able to help so do send them an email or give them a call on 0 11 33 222 333

Thanks

Dave

8. 2 Thanks to SchoolsBroadband:

kmount (18th November 2012), synaesthesia (18th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar issue on a vanilla network.

It turned out that the old proxy was still appearing in a second setting in DHCP

With a nervous hand I deleted that second setting and haven't seen the old proxy setting being picked up since. However, sometimes our current proxy fails to pick up cleanly on Windows 7 clients. That said once I go on and reset it locally again it seems ok again.

Thank Post
    Dont know much about CC4 GP but what caught me out badly once was a rogue install.ins that lived in a program files\internet explorer subfolder on the client PC. It used to be delivered via an adm on our original Windows Server 2000 deployment. 3 or 4 server migrations later we changed the name of the proxy server and found that Internet Explorer wouldn't let go of the old proxy name. A previous version of Internet Explorer had been setup using IEAK hence the custom install.ins. Took me a while to track that one down.

It was a version of the ins that did not live anywhere else such as the SYSVOL or within the default profile yet when you deleted a users profile from the local PC, it was this .ins that was copied back, not the ones located in the SYSVOL on the server which may have been a behaviour of the IEAK customisation

Find the install.ins in the above folder on local PC and edit with notepad to check what proxy setting it holds. Rename proxy server if required and save. If you delete the file it will reappear on reboot with original setting.

Whilst I was getting to the end of my problem, I came across this which was very useful. http://blogs.technet.com/b/perfguru/...up-policy.aspx

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Mungo; 18th November 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Forgot some bits, like a resolution.

Thank Post
    Unfortunatley this particular school that Im having the proxy problem doesn't have a server network. They run RM Schoolshare on the class pcs and have just to peer to peer admin machines. I found the proxy setting in the regedit, changed them then restarted the machines. Blimin' proxy came back again! As a temp measure the admin machines are now using Firefox which doesn't pick up the script that the embc engineer put on. Will keep trying to find a proper solution. :$

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, schoolshare - lovely! Why didn't you say?

I recall a setting that needs to be changed on the schoolsharemaster (usually SSMASTER) for proxies - the clients pick up the setting from there. I think it's the "Set Up Schoolshare" program that should be there on the manager login on that machine.

Fairly sure there would be something on rm support site about it. My memory is hazy on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ahh yes SchoolShare *fond memories*
    @synaesthesia has it right, the ssmaster has a service on it that sets DHCP and proxy info for clients.

Thank Post
    thx but been there and done that. Was the first thing I did but on reboot the client pcs still pick up the old proxys. Back in the day, when EMBC sent out an engineer (may have been a LEA tech) when the schools moved over to EMBC, a script was loaded to change the proxy by said LEA techie. I think thats the issue but can't find the script.

Thank Post
    Just to let you know I finally found the script so the old proxy has been exorcised! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread