+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, Windows Updates - Does it still work for you? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); We've switched over from EMBC to emPSN last week, and since then whenever we try and update our PC's by ...
    Thank Post

Windows Updates - Does it still work for you?

We've switched over from EMBC to emPSN last week, and since then whenever we try and update our PC's by checking online using Windows Update, it fails with an error code of 80244004.

The school accross the road from us is also having the same problem when trying to check online.

We have Local Control of Filtering, and I have added the Microsoft Update servers into our Allow list on the new Netsweeper (on advice of the Capita helpdesk...), and this has made no difference.

What I would like to know is... Has anyone else on the new emPSN tried to update Windows over the Internet since the switchover, and does it work for you??

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Not working here! All desktops use wsus but the servers are updated manually using windows updates and I get the same error.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I would recommend you setup WSUS. Updates will be pushed and deployed considerably quicker.

Thank Post
    Have you raised a call with KCOM about this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Have you raised a call with KCOM about this?
    Not at this moment in time. My colleague raised the issue with the Capita helpdesk when on an unrelated call, and the lady said 'put the settings in Netsweeper, (you need to speak to KCOM about firewall changes...)' which I did on Friday afternoon, and I gave it the weekend to catchup.

We wanted to check with other schools first to see if they where having the same problem, because at the moment our authorities eLearning Team are saying '...everything's working, it must be YOUR fault...'

If other schools are having the same issue, then we will have to raise a call with KCOM about a potential Firewall issue.

Thank Post
    Hi

Aplogies if you already tried this but have had a few machines with old settings in for the Proxy server for BIT's\Windows update services.

XP - Server 2003 type "proxycfg" at command prompt and if you see the old proxy just type "proxycfg -u" which should import the correct setting from Internet Explorer

Windows 7 - Server 2008 type "Netsh winhttp show proxy" to check and "Netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie" to import from Internet Explorer

N.B If you are using WSUS then you should have no Proxy settings for the BIT's\Windows update and should say Direct which is the default.

Brent

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Hi

Aplogies if you already tried this but have had a few machines with old settings in for the Proxy server for BIT's\Windows update services.

XP - Server 2003 type "proxycfg" at command prompt and if you see the old proxy just type "proxycfg -u" which should import the correct setting from Internet Explorer

Windows 7 - Server 2008 type "Netsh winhttp show proxy" to check and "Netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie" to import from Internet Explorer

N.B If you are using WSUS then you should have no Proxy settings for the BIT's\Windows update and should say Direct which is the default.

Brent
    Thanks, I've just checked and my PC is set to Direct. We do have a WSUS server, but since the switchover is has been unable to synch with MS for updates (it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled me thinks as it was a bit iffy before the switchover...)

We usually update our servers using online updates, and any PC's that we rebuild we check online for all updates prior to taking images etc. But since the EMBC switchover it's stopped working. I think we will need to raise a call with KCOM. Will let you know how we get on...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    WSUS here but we are having an issue with XP Pro clients. They persistently install KB931125 which is listed as a Root Certificate sometimes April 2012 and other times listed as August 2010.

In History they list as cleanly installed for the particular date. Then next time comes shutdown and they install again?

Thank Post
    We do have a WSUS server, but since the switchover is has been unable to synch with MS for updates (it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled me thinks as it was a bit iffy before the switchover...)
    Sounds like you just need to add the new proxy settings within WSUS itself. If you look in options you will find a Configure Proxy Settings or if not there might be under sychronization settings.
    Hopefully if this works, stops you having to re-install WSUS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread