+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, embc changing dns to new provider in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Anyone else asked embc to do this yet? Requested it a couple of days ago and not a peep out ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

embc changing dns to new provider

Anyone else asked embc to do this yet?
    Requested it a couple of days ago and not a peep out of them - its not that difficult to change TAG and name servers right?

(guess all the resources are going into servicing the people who are staying with them :/ )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I can't comment on that but TBH you don't want them to change the name servers over yet.

You want them to transfer the tag to new provider provide you with a DNS zone, make the changes to it and then put on your new nameservers. Then with new provider change the nameserver records with nominet.

As they may change them over to a dns server which doesnt have a full record.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I can't comment on that but TBH you don't want them to change the name servers over yet.

You want them to transfer the tag to new provider provide you with a DNS zone, make the changes to it and then put on your new nameservers. Then with new provider change the nameserver records with nominet.
    Everything is ready to go. The new provider has the zone setup, email is all setup, a copy of the website has been moved over, just waiting for embc to makes their change.
    I know that the new provider can do the ns bit but I guess we are a bit stuck until the tag is done?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Everything is ready to go. The new provider has the zone setup, email is all setup, a copy of the website has been moved over, just waiting for embc to makes their change.
    I know that the new provider can do the ns bit but I guess we are a bit stuck until the tag is done?
    Ah ok - have EMBC given you a copy of the zone they have? I just know when i did it there was some old records I didn't know existed (point to various odd bits) so is worth double checking that.

And No you are right as long as its a uk domain with a tag its easy. .Com's are a pita

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Ah ok - have EMBC given you a copy of the zone they have? I just know when i did it there was some old records I didn't know existed (point to various odd bits) so is worth double checking that.

And No you are right as long as its a uk domain with a tag its easy. .Com's are a pita
    Yeah they gave a copy
    Was hoping to get this done before start of term next week, fingers crossed :S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They're inundated currently and response times are not quick. Something they perhaps should have been better prepared for, although my views on this are already well known and I've past caring We had to shout REALLY loud to get a couple of my schools done.

7. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

sparkeh (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Think I made the right choice a few weeks ago to move the domain away to somewhere completely separate, by the sounds of it. Good luck Sparkeh.

Thank Post
    As a last resort if EMBC are not doing as they should in a reasonable time frame you can ask Nominet to force the change but as I saw that really is the last resort they charge 10 + vat to do this

Change registrar | Nominet

Thank Post
    Changes of DNS are progressing and are being monitored by LAs. Most people are simply asking for a copy of the zone file and asking for the tag to be released. Some are asking for a more managed change such as mentioned above (copy of zone file, replicate DNS with new DNS host, ask for Name Servers to be changed to new Name Servers, ask for TAG to be released to new Registrar, request embc to close down the zone file, set destination on MailMarshall to your new mail server address, change MX records to your new server address, ask embc to remove account on MailMarshall).

Some of the above will vary as to the order depending on how and if you are moving mail services, moving connections, etc ... so there is no single perfect example of how to do it and it is expected that if you are taking on separate services that you are capable of organising migrating of services (which most here are).

DNS hosting (which is different to DNS resolution) is a core service that needs to be considered and planned carefully.

Although it is too late to mention this for this migration, you can be sure that schools will migrate again in the future. Those schools who have moved most smoothly specified the date of most of the above actions when making calls to the desk, they made the calls several weeks in advance and kept the desk informed of any changes to their project plan.

For some schools this wasn't needed as they had very simple setups or have simply opted to drop their .sch.uk domain. I will shortly be sharing a paper about the role of .sch.uk domains in schools and part of it is a recommendation that schools still take control and ownership of this domain.

Thank Post
    We're waiting on EMBC too. Their sluggishness is matched only by the shoe-dragging that's going on at RM at the moment.

Thank Post
    What is happening with regards to static IP addresses and that, will KCOM transfer all those with them?

I've just had a thought also. Our new MailMarshal service has been pointed at the internal IP address of our server by Capita. I assume after the switchover that will still continue to work, as Capita servers must be on the same 'network' and able to see our internal IP?

@TonySheppardNCC @GrumbleDook

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, it took over a week but the change has been made and are propagating.
    I thought that a week and a half was plenty of notice to make a simple change like releasing the tag and changing name servers but hey-ho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Well, it took over a week but the change has been made and are propagating.
    I thought that a week and a half was plenty of notice to make a simple change like releasing the tag and changing name servers but hey-ho.
    How silly do you feel now! :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    How silly do you feel now! :P
    Hehe... yeah...
    Well everything has moved over now so I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Thank Post
    So, it's begun! Anyone else nervous for tomorrow?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast