+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, embc changing dns to new provider in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by Edu-IT So, it's begun! Anyone else nervous for tomorrow? Well I'm not going to lie I am ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    So, it's begun! Anyone else nervous for tomorrow?
    Well I'm not going to lie I am a little. Despite us continuosuly emailing and calling every school that are using our service in EMBC I'm worried some still haven't done anything. Still we're here to help and ready and waiting to make everything work. Just give us a call if you've lost your emai / DNS and we'll pressure EMBC / Capita to get it sorted straight away.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Anyone found the OH relay to be blocked now after last night?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, it's begun! Anyone else nervous for tomorrow?
    I was nervous until about lunchtime yesterday, when everything was up and running and transferred, big relief

Lesson for next time, don't rely on your current provider to get things sorted for you in a timely manner and migrate well in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think even with the wealth of information put together by the Schools Broadband Working Group in Northants there was still a fair bit of information missing but that was only apparent when "The Time" came around. EMBC didn't do a huge amount to help (in my personal opinion and experience) but thankfully the guys at our new provider have been very good and very patient, despite being extremely busy with everything going on! I think the majority of us will have extensive notes on what to do next time round though (this is likely to be a more common occurrence now we're on our own of course!)

Thank Post
    I've just been contacted by a school who haven't sorted out their email :$ I think they just expected it to suddenly appear as if by magic even though they knew they wouldn't be using EMBC. Ho Hum

Thank Post
    Anyone found the OH relay to be blocked now after last night?
    Yep it appears to be a DNS problem, it can't resolve relay.inthehive.net or any other inthehive.net subdomain. Have reported it to the OH helpdesk who were very pleasant and helpful but didn't seem to take on board that it's a DNS problem. No outbound email though until they've fixed it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    I've just been contacted by a school who haven't sorted out their email :$ I think they just expected it to suddenly appear as if by magic even though they knew they wouldn't be using EMBC. Ho Hum
    Bet they're loving that.

"Can we get them back?"

No.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Yep it appears to be a DNS problem, it can't resolve relay.inthehive.net or any other inthehive.net subdomain. Have reported it to the OH helpdesk who were very pleasant and helpful but didn't seem to take on board that it's a DNS problem. No outbound email though until they've fixed it.
    Yep, same problem here, no outbound mail. I looked at MailMarshall and the last outbound email to reach MailMarshall was at around 7:30 last night. I just logged a call with Capita and the lady on the helpdesk claimed it was a DNS issue with KCOM. She said they're looking into it.

Thank Post
    What is happening with regards to static IP addresses and that, will KCOM transfer all those with them?

I've just had a thought also. Our new MailMarshal service has been pointed at the internal IP address of our server by Capita. I assume after the switchover that will still continue to work, as Capita servers must be on the same 'network' and able to see our internal IP?

@TonySheppardNCC @GrumbleDook
    Apologies for the delayed response, I've been out of the office.

All incoming Firewall rules should have been transferred 'as is' as KCOM. The MX Records will point at whatever service you chose (eg MailMarshal within the OH service) and then the pointer from MM will go to the specified service (eg OHMail, in-house server, etc). You have kept your existing emPSN WAN IPs so there would be no change there either.

If you have taken services from a mixture of different framework suppliers, or are mixing in-house and framework services, then you will have to go through and check that the various services are then sending traffic to the right place.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I think even with the wealth of information put together by the Schools Broadband Working Group in Northants there was still a fair bit of information missing but that was only apparent when "The Time" came around. EMBC didn't do a huge amount to help (in my personal opinion and experience) but thankfully the guys at our new provider have been very good and very patient, despite being extremely busy with everything going on! I think the majority of us will have extensive notes on what to do next time round though (this is likely to be a more common occurrence now we're on our own of course!)
    The information in the toolit was pretty agnostic and it was intentionally left for suppliers or schools to come up with options / case studies / FAQs to fill in the gaps. Because of the position of NCC staff it would have been difficult to write 'exit' or 'transition' instructions for services we do not manage and/or have not be part of a procurement to deal with.

I would say that it is likely that the movement of some or all services, and the connectivity to/from them, will be a pretty common occurence in the future, but this will partly stem from a desire to change because of schools feeling they are not getting what they want and partly from believing that the grass is greener elsewhere.

It is also likely that the cost of change will be missed and it should be a factor when considering options in the future. There is sometimes little benefit to be gained by saving £2000 only for the man hours to cost more than this to do the change. The other consideration is that a change should bring an impact on education (a positive one that is) and quantifying that can sometimes be difficult.

If people are writing up their experiences and would like to share them then I would ask that all comments are kept constructive and not delving into 'blame management'. Lessons Learnt are an invaluable addition at the end of any project to help with future projects or even the management of steady state services.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo_C View Post
    Yep, same problem here, no outbound mail. I looked at MailMarshall and the last outbound email to reach MailMarshall was at around 7:30 last night. I just logged a call with Capita and the lady on the helpdesk claimed it was a DNS issue with KCOM. She said they're looking into it.
    Just called them back to chase this up. Spoke to someone else who transferred me to KCOM. They said they'll look into it.

Is anyone else having the same problems, surely it's not just the three of us that have mentioned it in this thread?

Thank Post
    Yes both of my schools are having the same problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo_C View Post
    Just called them back to chase this up. Spoke to someone else who transferred me to KCOM. They said they'll look into it.

Is anyone else having the same problems, surely it's not just the three of us that have mentioned it in this thread?
    Starting to get a bit annoyed now, nobody seems to know who is doing what! I've logged it with KCOM and Capita but no updates on either, really, other than they're working on it. I kind of thought they'd have a little more information available by now since they've been working on this since about 9am this morning.

Thank Post
    Starting to get a bit annoyed now, nobody seems to know who is doing what! I've logged it with KCOM and Capita but no updates on either, really, other than they're working on it. I kind of thought they'd have a little more information available by now since they've been working on this since about 9am this morning.
    Yeah I got the impression that neither really knew who was doing what. The Capita support seemed OK but with KCOM I spent ages explaining that my Exchange server couldn't ping or telnet the openhive relay and that it seems like it could be a DNS issue and the lady told me she didn't really know what any of that meant and asked me for the username of the email address that couldn't send! I then explained that we'd got our own server and it was affecting everyone and she still seemed confused.

I'm wondering how many people have actually noticed it's happening, with it being half term. I only noticed because a colleague happened to try to email his personal email address. Luckily there's been hardly anyone using email all day.

I'm assuming seeing as all the emails are sat on my Exchange server that when it does get fixed they'll all go through.

Thank Post
    They should start to send, yes, although at which point they fail and get removed I'm not entirely sure. Probably depends on your setup.

We're not on half term here, and it's just stupid now. Surely it can't be that difficult to fix? I know those who chose the RM offering (supplied by KCOM directly) aren't having this issue... what a suprise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast