+ Post New Thread
East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC) Thread, EMBC Admin accounts in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Folks, I don't know why I'm telling you this (I don't know who should - either EMBC or County - ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

EMBC Admin accounts

Folks, I don't know why I'm telling you this (I don't know who should - either EMBC or County - maybe Tony Sheppard can shed some light!)

If you're trying to log in to your EMBC administrator account with your NHS ID number, you'll find it'll fail. Apparently according to EMBC, County have instructed them to lock access to all of those accounts so changes can be tracked appropriately. That's fair enough, however at 2 schools of mine this has affected neither have been told. I know we haven't been told at my school of employement.

Communication is key. Always. As said, it's fully understandable that changes should be trackable but some things just should not be done *under any circumstances* without notifying the schools beforehand.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Additional information. EMBC may be misinforming/mistaken (??) - as another one of my schools can get in absolutely fine on that account.
    What on earth is going on over there?

* later edit. Member of staff at EMBC wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about. It's rather clear he was trying to relay that they would rather people didn't use the NHS accounts for change management purposes. I'm guessing they're taking on new staff with the changes going on.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 26th September 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The accounts were legacy accounts under the Fujitsu contract either created then or created by NCC staff prior to the move to make sure that schools had some level of access. This was explained to ICT Co-ordinators and the main IT Support company (at the time) with the explanation that each user should have their own account for doing things. This was a number of years back. It has been the case that these accounts have been removed over the years by schools (the user reconciliation did a chunk of this when schools did it or manual removals) or have not been used, and I can understand the desk saying that they are dead accounts.

I take it that you mean the staff at the EMBC service desk and yes, people may have gotten the wrong end of the stick as staff change around.

The conversation about using named accounts rather than the generic account goes back to 2008.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough. Struck a few chords (not just with me, obviously!) this morning when one of my schools was told this (with me listening). Not a problem, assuming there were other admin accounts! Thankfully that's easy enough to solve, everyone was helpful enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always happy to clear things up.

6. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

synaesthesia (26th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread