Petition: Introduce law requiring adults working with children to report abuse
I signed this a while ago but forgot to post it here, but I think it's probably something many of us would support. Here's the basics:
- Currently there is no legal duty to report alleged or suspected abuse of children.
- Creating a legal duty has already been urged by many children's and abuse victims charities, some of whom have started this petition.
- It was also a key recommendation by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary in their report on the Jimmy Savile enquiry.
- Argentina, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Spain, Sweden, USA, and the Republic of Ireland already have mandatory reporting enshrined in law.
- Despite the clear case in favour, and the repeated examples of cover-ups in abuse cases, the Government currently has no plans to introduce such a law in the UK.
Want that to change? Read the full rationale behind the move and sign the petition here: Change.org: Introduce law requiring adults working with children to report alleged abuse - NAPAC, Survivors UK, Respond, IID + The Survivors Trust