+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, Internet Safety Assemblies in School Administration; I thought I'd share the content I used on Safer Internet Day yesterday with Years 1 - 6. The background: ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts

Internet Safety Assemblies

I thought I'd share the content I used on Safer Internet Day yesterday with Years 1 - 6.

The background:
    I had chats with the class teachers in advance. There was concern in Year 2 that they were collecting friends on Club Penguin and one pupil had recently had her Moshi Monsters account trashed by someone guessing her password.

There had just been a problem in Year 6 with bullying by text... this year group has long been too grown up for its age and pushed every boundary throughout their time in school. I wasn't going for a gentle touch.

Years 1 & 2 (together)

Theme: What is a friend? 30 mins

Opened with a discussion about what websites the children used. Started with "Who uses Club Penguin/CBBC/Moshi Monsters?" Hands up and then let them suggest and talk about what they liked to do on the internet.

So when you're playing games on Club penguin, who are you playing against? The answer will be penguins.

We then started talking about friends
    • Who has a best friend? Would you have them round to tea? Would you tell them secrets?...
    • Are you friends with people in your class?...Probably... Would you have them round to tea, Do they know exactly where you live, etc?
    • Are you friends with people from other classes? ... Maybe... Would you...?
    • Are you friends with the people who live on your road?... maybe... All of them? Would you...?
    • Are you friends with a stranger you saw in the supermarket?... No... Why not? Would you?
    • Are you friends with someone you meet on the internet?

The last question starts confusion..

Then show them CEOP's Lee & Kim (Download from Thinkuknow teachers' Resources or view on Teachertube or Youtube
    Be warned, the song at the end is awful, but the children like it!
    Discuss the animals after watching the film. Were Lee & Kim really playing against animals? Why was the tiger rude? Was the bear cuddly? Were they friends or strangers?

So when you're playing games on Club Penguin, who are you playing against? The answer should have changed to 'other people'

Finish off by recapping Sid's 4 rules and what they mean... emphasise that they won't get into trouble for asking for help when they are not happy with what's happening on the computer... and emphasise that they should ask for help to drop buddies who they don't actually know.

Years 3 & 4 (together)

Theme: What is a friend? 30 mins

The preamble to the film was almost identical to Years 1 and 2, but taking the lead from what websites they talked about. The discussion about friends and what you'd do with different categories delved more into what you'd share with friends.

Then show them CEOP's "Know your friends with Josh and Sue" (Download from Thinkuknow teachers' Resources or view on Teachertube or Youtube
    This one's worth watching twice. Just watch the first time. the second time go through and discuss the Red Crosses and Green ticks.

We then discussed how we knew we were actually talking to our friends online or by text. Can you be sure that the msn/text number/club penguin account is being used by its owner and not by their friend/brother/dad/a stranger because they've forgotten to log off or their password is known? The answer is no!

Finish off by discussing where to go for help... emphasise that they won't get into trouble for asking for help when they are not happy with what's happening on the computer... and emphasise that they should ask for help to drop buddies who they don't actually know.

Years 5 & 6 (together)

Theme: Messages. 60 mins

I was rather going for the jugular with this group at the school's request. They wanted me to shock a rather cocky year group. By half way through Y6 were squirming and Y5 were interested; it was fascinating!

Opener: Bebo - Bullying don't do it. Aka Patty's Story
    Stop before the titles and discuss according to the reaction. I got horrified silence, but laughter isn't uncommon. How did Patty feel? What was Lindsay doing?
    Ask the children to imagine they're Patty and play the whole video from beginning to end. Afterwards discuss the message of "If you wouldn't say it to their face, don't say it all"
    Go in for the kill by pointing out that everything that you post online using the internet, text or phone can be tracked and that everything is posted stays online due due to caching, even if you delete it. (I may have been a little liberal with this. I didn't actually say that text content could never be deleted, but I didn't exactly separate it either )

Part 2: Digizen - Let's fight it together Aka Joe's Story
    A bit of a shocker this one; you honestly think Joe's going to end it. It finishes with Mum and Joe seeing the HT and the police arriving at the school.
    Discuss content with pupils. How Joe felt? Did he do anything wrong? I got asked "is it true that the police can come?"
    Go in for blow number 2, pointing out that sending threatening messages by text, on the internet, by email or on paper is against the law. Cue grim looking Year 6 (who may not have been sending threatening text messages, only nasty ones, but I wasn't going to point that out)

Part 3 Teachers' TV - Inadvertent bullying by text Download from TES Resources
    Watch the video and discuss how the misunderstanding occurred and why. Did the girl who got upset know her friends were sat next to each other? Did she realise they were teasing?
    Point out how easy it is to misunderstand the meaning and someone's mood when they are not facing you.

Part 4 BBC newsround Extra - Whose side are you on?
    This one looks at bullying from the point of view of everyone else rather than the bully or the bullied... what should they be doing to help when they think there's a problem?

Again, go back to the message of you won't get in trouble for talking to an adult when you're uncomfortable about something that's happening to you either online or offline.

Round off by reminding them of the key messages from the 4 films, pushing the you can't delete/police bit hard if necessary.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 10th December 2013 at 07:03 AM.

2. 4 Thanks to elsiegee40:

GrumbleDook (8th February 2012), jdoyle (8th February 2012), john (8th February 2012), Netman (8th February 2012)

Thank Post
    That's great - thanks... very similar here - have recently done years 3 to 6 and am thinking we might have to cover years 1 and 2 as well. I always start with the 'who has a computer at home/who has their own computer/who's allowed to use it in their bedroom' questions and the amount of hands up to the last two, even in the lower year groups is fascinating (about 50% have their own device and 30-40% are allowed to use it in their rooms alone).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    With Years 1 and 2, there really is more of a "Stranger danger" message than anything else. They're terribly innocent compared with the top of the school. Most, but not all, do little other than play Cbeebies games.

When talking about websites, they talked about google and some of them mentioned facebook and ebay (one was a teacher's daughter) A little gentle probing teased out that they'd seen Mum or Dad use facebook and the eBay user had sat on Dad's lap when they were looking for something for her doll's house.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread