+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
e-Safety Thread, e-Safety implications of the new Facebook Timeline in School Administration; Originally Posted by enjay The links to Spotify etc are worrying if those are public. Spotify now requires a ***book ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The links to Spotify etc are worrying if those are public.
    Spotify now requires a ***book account. Goodbye spotify.

no ***book, no spotify

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    The links with external websites are controlled (in theory) by the Instant Personalisation - Privacy Setting, so you should be able to knock this one on the head. (see page 6 of the guide in my signature below for how to get to it)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    When you say cover images are public, does that mean that people can now see what photo albums I have published? Currently, only my friends can see them.
    No, just the single photo you select as the cover image for your Timeline.

I don't use Spotify so can't comment on what the default visibility is for those.

Thank Post
    OK, so something that passed me by until now (partly because I've been focusing on the timeline preview) is the new class of Apps that will be launching alongside it. Spotify is the one that everyone is talking about, but there will be others too.

These new apps work a lot like the old ones, but with an important difference - once authorised, they share your activity to the ticker and timeline without any further prompting. This won't just be apps you use on Facebook, or things like Spotofy where you sign in with your Facebook account, but also regular websites (The Guardian and digg are among the sites that will have this at launch). So everything you read on the Guardian goes straight to the ticker.

Now of course this will only start happening if you authorise it to, but you only have to do that once ever. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some interesting incidents cropping up soon of people forgetting that they did it, then stuff showing up in the ticker 2 months later that they didn't really want to share ("oh, so you're looking at an articles on the about CV writing, Bob? Looking to move on soon?". Techcrunch also points out that the explanation of exactly what you're authorising is literally small print:

I think we all know how many people will just hit that blue button without really reading the message.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 26th September 2011 at 09:26 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

elsiegee40 (26th September 2011), LosOjos (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm a bit bothered by the Mobile settings within account settings.

There are two check boxes: 'Share my phone number with my friends' and 'Allow friends to text me from Facebook' which are checked when you go into this screen.

You can uncheck them, but this isn't saved, so your mobile is shared whether you want it to be or not. Can someone else have a play and confirm this please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I can see your mobile number is only published via the above if you register your mobile to receive texts, etc. If you don't have it registered then the number should not be available to others via that setting ... although it might be available via your contact details, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    No, just the single photo you select as the cover image for your Timeline.
    Sorry, I knew that. What I meant was that the album name and cover image are now public, where previously only my friends could see them. This is still a safety risk - let's say I have an album of photos from a concert or football match I went to, or an event at my church, sports club etc and the album name says what they're from (as, let's face it, many album names do); seeing that album name would give people wanting to befriend me further information about me, along the lines of "hey, I see you support West Ham, too, let's go to their next game together" or "do you want to come round my house and listen to Chilli Peppers together?".

Along similar lines, if you add photos to a group page, does that also appear in your public timeline?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    From what I can see your mobile number is only published via the above if you register your mobile to receive texts, etc. If you don't have it registered then the number should not be available to others via that setting ... although it might be available via your contact details, etc.
    If someone logs into your facebook account from an unrecognised devised, facebook can send you a text with a code that will enable the login. This is to help prevent account hacking.

If you have handed over your mobile number for that and then made your mobile number "only me", you did not not necessarily intend that all your facebook friends could see it.

The check boxes in the Account Settings imply that you can stop them. However, although you can uncheck the boxes, there is no save button, so as soon as you leave the screen facebook helpfully shares your mobile number again.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I knew that. What I meant was that the album name and cover image are now public, where previously only my friends could see them.
    None of my album names are visible except for the new album called "Cover Photos" that contains the single cover image for Timeline (later it will have more, unless I delete the old ones). All my other albums are completely invisible to public view.

As for group photos, they will appear in the timeline with the same visibility as the group. If the group is public, the photos are public; if the group is closed, only those in the group will see it on the timeline.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The check boxes in the Account Settings imply that you can stop them. However, although you can uncheck the boxes, there is no save button, so as soon as you leave the screen facebook helpfully shares your mobile number again.
    Can you remove the phone, then untick the boxes when you add re-add it?

Thank Post
    According to geek.com facebook collects hundreds of pages of data per user. You can request the information stores on you by submitting a personal data request facebook personal data requests. Europe vs Facebook has shared the data it received in response to a request: example of data

There is data such as messages you have deleted, logging which events you decided not to attend as well as those you did, the last location you accessed Facebook from, a list of every single machine you ever logged into Facebook from, who has poked you, and there’s even fields for political and religious views even though they were empty.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 28th September 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    a list of every single machine you ever logged into Facebook from
    On similar note, I've noticed that the latest Android app runs the location finder thing (the accurate one that Maps and Places uses, rather than coarse one) every time I open Facebook, which it used not to do.

Thank Post
    I've probably lost my job as a result of that Bl**dy timeline changing my privacy settings. A status and replies that should've been private were available to ANYONE, not just those who were friends or even friends of friends. Needless to say I no longer use FB under my real name. no friends from the staff at school I work at. Lesson learned! new job incoming. need to know how to write the new required trendy CV now any help out there would be much appreciated

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12