+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, Been asked to do a Small talk on CEOP and E-Safety in School Administration; Hi Guys, Been asked as part of the Child Protection talk on the training days to cover 10 minsates on ...

Thank Post

Been asked to do a Small talk on CEOP and E-Safety

Hi Guys,

Been asked as part of the Child Protection talk on the training days to cover 10 minsates on CEOP, Thinkyouknow and genral e-safety.

Had a few ideas ie cover what CEOP does and a bit about the training also will cover facebook how to block pictures set privacy etc (as I know some of our staff have got thier holiday snaps avalable to all unsundry.

Any ideas what else I could cover or how to present to them?

THought I would run one of the videos not sure which one going to review them?

Also thought I would do a quick quiz\poll on what they know about online etiqutte and language. (I only found out what INTER means recently if your not sure look it up on the urban dictonary). Any others could use? TILF I will put up for a laugh

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    In 10 minutes you will barely get through Facebook privacy unless you forbid all questions from the audience. With such a small amount of time I would stick to the things you've already suggested about Facebook and a quick run through of what's on Thinkuknow (which is run by CEOP so covers your brief) including how to get a login for the online teacher resources.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10 minutes is not enough time, 20 mins minimum just to cover the basics, half hour to allow for a few questions, 45 mins+ to go more in depth

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Take it from the angle of e-Safety is "Safeguarding children - protecting you"... remind them how everything on the internet is in the public domain and that if they wouldn't say it face-to-face, don't say it all. With staff at my school (I have an hour), taking it from the angle of covering their own backs seems to have most effect.

Get them to check their own public face using 123people.com... what they find there is what the world can see about them. Remind them that employers, and unfortunately parents, are increasingly checking out school staff on the internet. Casual postings can be career-ending.

If you can swing a little more time, use one of the CEOP Videos. "Where's Klaus" is the shortest, only a couple of minutes to make it's point. Personally there are others I prefer. I use "Jigsaw" at our school as the children are much the age of ours.

Don't spend too long on facebook privacy setting detail... point them at the document in my signature block - stick a copy on your school website, in a shared area and/or email it to all of them!

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

pickman (5th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I think an hour is enough, I usually take 30 mins. As you said Elsiegee40, outlining the details and putting the detailed information on a shared area is better or it could turn into 'Death... by powerpoint!'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Take elsigees advice, or even pm her for a bit more help - what she doesnt know about esafety ain't worth knowing

Thank Post
    Hi Elsiegee40, i particularly liked your advice. Are there are particular resources you use to grab the staff's attention or activities?
    I've been asked to do a 30-45 min slot at my school's staff training day.
    Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new member so cannot PM members.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakila View Post
    Hi Elsiegee40, i particularly liked your advice. Are there are particular resources you use to grab the staff's attention or activities?
    I've been asked to do a 30-45 min slot at my school's staff training day.
    Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a new member so cannot PM members.
    PM sent

Loads of resources here of course: edugeek | e-safety forum | e-safety resources
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 29th August 2011 at 07:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Have you thought of using this video @pickman ?
    Youtube - How to lose your Job in 7 minutes
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 29th August 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Oh I LIKE that one. I shall try and get the teachers to look at it next term

Tell you what, elsie, we should lobby edugod for jobs - you can be the esafety consultant and I'll be the recruitment person (I can help with interview techniques and other stuff too)
    What do you think?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread