+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, Reporting to Facebook in School Administration; One of our kids has told us that a facebook page (person, not group or business) has been set up ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Reporting to Facebook

One of our kids has told us that a facebook page (person, not group or business) has been set up and is inviting all our students to become friends. The worrying thing is this isn't set up by the school and obviously adding a fake "friend" then gives them access to your info.

Yes, we've had the chat with the girls about security online and dont accept friends you don't know, but is there a way of getting this person removed? I've clicked the "report" button and it says "thanks for reporting" but has anyone got experience on how long this will take, how they get back to you, how I can follow up if they do nothing? As this could either be an innocent joke or quite a serious threat depending on how you look at it.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    We had a similar situation and we told the police who then got involved and it was sorted quite quickly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When we found a group set up on Facebook called "[school] girls are stuck up slags!" we got it removed within about 24-48 hours. This may have been helped along by posting on here and asking as many people as possible to report it, but it does seem to work - get all the girls who have been invited to report it and you should get the critical mass you need to get the job done.

Good luck, I'm having lots of fun with Facebook and students at the moment myself... worst part of the job sometimes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,976 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Block facebook at the school, send a letter round to parents letting them know about it, Talk to whoever is in charge of child protection, request they inform police if you think it's sinister.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Block facebook at the school, send a letter round to parents letting them know about it, Talk to whoever is in charge of child protection, request they inform police if you think it's sinister.
    facebook is already banned here, but it wont stop them adding this person at home. the link was sent to the head by a sixth former, so the head is already aware. we don't know if its sinister or if one of the kids has done it just as a bit of fun.

and now ive just changed network here so cant get to my emails to find the link again or id post it here.....grrrrr

Thank Post
    Got to be honest, If you've blocked facebook then thats all you should be expected to do. It should now lie with the child protection people. This is one of those instances when people try to shift focus because it happens on a computer. If it were a car outside the school the responsibilty wouldn't lie with you and the fact this involves a 'pooter shoulnd't make it your problem!.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    Got to be honest, If you've blocked facebook then thats all you should be expected to do. It should now lie with the child protection people. This is one of those instances when people try to shift focus because it happens on a computer. If it were a car outside the school the responsibilty wouldn't lie with you and the fact this involves a 'pooter shoulnd't make it your problem!.
    so if you saw that car and thought "not my problem" and then found out that the person in that car abducted and raped a 5 year old girl, still not your problem?

this facebook page is a possible way of someone getting access to girls photos here, and our girls are aged from 3 to 18 so quite a broad scope. It's not my "problem" as you say because its a computer, the head has asked our advice on this, as he is concerned of the risk, and asked us if there are ways to stop it. we haven't been ordered to do it, and yes we could quite easily have said no to the request or feigned ignorance, but again, everyone working in a school has at least a moral duty to ensure the safety of the kids. I'm sure parents would be outraged if something bad were to happen as a result of this account and they found out we knew about it but took the line of "its not my problem"

8. Thanks to MK-2 from:

Pyroman (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    so if you saw that car and thought "not my problem" and then found out that the person in that car abducted and raped a 5 year old girl, still not your problem?
    "
    I'd not wash my hands of it, but I'd wonder why it had been reported to me rather than someone trained to deal with the situation properly. Any decent child protection officer should be more than au fais with social networking and how to deal with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    Actuallly he is right - in our situation it was the child protection officer that got involved and called the police. turned out to be a 21 year old man asking our year 5 and 6 girls, and years 7 and 8 from the local high school to join. The police are investigating

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    fair enough, i'll tell the head this should go to the CPO instead

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    As witch says, if you have grounds for the Safeguarding of your pupils, whether that is in school or outside, your school's CPO should immediately follow the school's policy for a Safeguarding incident and follow its procedures to the letter. From what you have said, I'd be going straigght to the police with this one. If it tuns out not to be a problem, fine... if it is a problem, then you have dealt with it promptly.

Kent's Incident response procedure is here: edugeek e-safety resources - response to an incident of concern

rad
    Thank Post
    Report to CEOP

Done

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread