+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, Grooveshark in School Administration; I've had passed on to me that some primary schools have been having a problem with GrooveShark, where pupils have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Grooveshark

I've had passed on to me that some primary schools have been having a problem with GrooveShark, where pupils have been registering for accounts and listening to music. Whilst his is pretty ok, and generally it should be a classroom management issue to deal with the disruption in class, the service does have songs with explicit lyrics in, cover art which can be a tad on the adult side (usually blocked within our area at least), and you are meant to be 13+ to sign up for it ...

and then you have the links in to twitter and facebook too ...

I'm not too fussed about it for secondary schools, but I am erring on the side of caution with advice to primary schools ... and I am not one for blocking things unless needed.

Have others come across it and how has it been dealt with by them?

Thank Post
    The Dorset CC asked us to limit its use as it was using tonnes of bandwidth. I now don't allow rich media to work on any website that hasn't been pre approved.

Thank Post
    Fortunately not seen it in use in any of my schools (though it doesn't appear to be blocked).

I do use it a fair bit at home (have an old wireless PDA hooked up to a speaker in the kitchen) as most of the similar services need services that don't seem to work with mobile browsers (unless you pay) and someone's written a WinMo application. Does anyone know how legal it is? A search for song X seems to bring up a plethora of results, suggesting to me that it's similar to YouTube in that there's little policing of content.

Thank Post
    You can't get any Beatles songs on it, so it must be legit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information