+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, e-safety responsibility and pay in School Administration; Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on the role of e-safety officer/co-ordinator the school i work at just ...
    Thank Post

e-safety responsibility and pay

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on the role of

e-safety officer/co-ordinator

the school i work at just created this role to have an individual improve our overall e-safety and i took on this role in addition to my Network Manager duties (attend all training, policy creation, logging of incidents and staff/parent tutorial sessions etc)

Just wondering how other schools grade this role either for teachers or support staff. I know the child protection officer role carries a significant bonus on wage but i have been informed i will recieve nothing (not even extra time) to perform the role of e-safe officer as its 'network safety' and therefore my responsibility anyway?

any information on this role in your workplace would be appriciated.

Thank Post
    I have just gone through the exact same thing. Apparently I am the schools e-safety office, doing tons of extra work but I will be getting nothing at all for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I get no extra pay, however my responsibility lies in training and investigation under direction from the HT. Esafety concerns are dealt with by our HT, like child protection. Although I inevitably get involved, being a CEOP ambassador, but the actual legally responsible person is the HT and she is the one in charge of making sure procedures are followed and the correct agencies are involved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Landi View Post
    <snip> I know the child protection officer role carries a significant bonus on wage but i have been informed i will recieve nothing (not even extra time) to perform the role of e-safe officer as its 'network safety' and therefore my responsibility anyway</snip>
    Not sure about that - I know our designated child protection officers don't get any TLR or wage increase for it. They are members of SLT in the main so are paid for it as part of their SLT duties (but not a higher rate than other SLT). The ones who aren't are are our Learning mentors and they don't get any cash for it.

Thank Post
    Interesting! Always good to get a feel for what's going on.

Seems most people are in the same boat. I am aware of one school that pays 7k extra for esafe duties to its network manager but that sounds more like the exception rather then the rule.
    Thanks to everyone so far for sharing the information!

Thank Post
    To be honest, I feel e-safety is party of my role running the network anyway... Safeguarding is a role of every member of school staff.

If I were expected to be top-of-the-pile... the person that decides whether or not the agencies get called in... I'd expect to be paid more. Otherwise it's just part of an ever-changing job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    A teacher would get a TLR for that which is an extra couple of grand on top of there salary - why should a support staff not get the same?

Thank Post
    In my case, I work in a private school... No pay scales and point increments!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    While network e-safety maybe your role I would argue that there is a big difference between network e-safety and total "e-safety".

In terms of child protection and esignated child protection officer. If they are slt you would not expect them to get extra if it was a role undertaken by someone else other than SLT (which it can be) you would expect them to be a grade associated with that role.

Is parent/staff training of e-safety a network managers role if not then argument goes out of window that part of your existing duties...

If part of LA you can ask the job to be reviewed in which a panel made of LA, HR, school etc looks at if you are on the right pay scale. If going down this route and part of union get there advice on filling the forms in etc.

Russ
    Russell

Thank Post
    But Russ we all, as school staff, have a safeguarding duty/role which includes ensuring the safety of young people in school and giving them the means to stay safe outside school. Schools also have community cohesion roles and that applies to all staff too.

As IT professionals, our part in this inevitably is e-safety and training parents is part of helping young people to stay safe outside school.

Maybe it's the primary school in me that doesn't get too hung up on job titles and specific duties... There aren't enough staff; we cover everything. I still think that unless you are the designated CPO (and it's pretty unusal for someone not on SLT to have that role) e-safety is simply part of the job, not an extra part of the job requiring more money.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    But Russ we all, as school staff, have a safeguarding duty/role which includes ensuring the safety of young people in school and giving them the means to stay safe outside school. Schools also have community cohesion roles and that applies to all staff too.

As IT professionals, our part in this inevitably is e-safety and training parents is part of helping young people to stay safe outside school.

Maybe it's the primary school in me that doesn't get too hung up on job titles and specific duties... There aren't enough staff; we cover everything. I still think that unless you are the designated CPO (and it's pretty unusal for someone not on SLT to have that role) e-safety is simply part of the job, not an extra part of the job requiring more money.
    Well two things to clarify yes we all have our duty of care and not saying that.

In terms of making sure that young people are trained and taught e-safety that duty of care is to school and they delegate that to whoever and you would/should be compensated for it. I suppose it is degree on your involvement if person in charge asks you to run a session as you have a skill on a subject that is different that them asking you organise and co-ordinate training & create policies on e-safety that is certainly in my mind an extra role.

As for CPO not being SLT it is more common than you think and in fact becoming quite common..

Russ
    Russ

Thank Post
    I am the e-safety officer here as part of my role as Network Manager - no additional pay, although I also don't think it deserves one as it's not a lot of extra work other than the odd student assembly, newsletter item or parents e-safety meeting. Our designated Child Protection Officer is the Headteacher but a lot of the work is carried out by the Heads of Year or Student Support Managers before either of us get involved. I am not saying, it is not worthy of additonal numeration as each school is different and the increased workload will differ in all establishments.

13. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

elsiegee40 (3rd April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I am the e-safety officer here as part of my role as Network Manager - no additional pay, although I also don't think it deserves one as it's not a lot of extra work other than the odd student assembly, newsletter item or parents e-safety meeting. Our designated Child Protection Officer is the Headteacher but a lot of the work is carried out by the Heads of Year or Student Support Managers before either of us get involved. I am not saying, it is not worthy of additonal numeration as each school is different and the increased workload will differ in all establishments.
    I would say yes it is part of our job

but i could say a normal IT teacher has the same responsibility about promoting e-safety in lessons.

but if a teacher got given the role of E-safety officer throughout the school a TLR would come with it (along with a couple of hours a week to do the extra work) so a teacher would get an extra wedge of money on top whereas support staff just get told to do it!.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I would say yes it is part of our job

but i could say a normal IT teacher has the same responsibility about promoting e-safety in lessons.

but if a teacher got given the role of E-safety officer throughout the school a TLR would come with it (along with a couple of hours a week to do the extra work) so a teacher would get an extra wedge of money on top whereas support staff just get told to do it!.
    I totally agree but isn't it just the same sh1t, different story with regards to the differences between teaching and non teaching staff!?!
    Last edited by bodminman; 3rd April 2011 at 10:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread