+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
e-Safety Thread, LittleGossip.com - Please read in School Administration; Put the request in to EMBC to block it....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Put the request in to EMBC to block it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can someone in embc land can check this? It now falls under hate speech / profanity but if you have local control of filtering you may have turned that category off (and so begins a discussion about why you would turn that category off!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    The following is an extract from an email bulletin sent by CEOP to Think U Know trainers this evening. I hope they will not object to me quoting the part pertaining to Little Gossip here:

We have recently received a number of emails and reports regarding the website Little Gossip.

CEOP are familiar with this site and believe that it is often used as a platform for cyberbullying and the posting of harmful content by users.

We are currently making contact with those parties who run the website and the host company, to question the premise and safeguards on the site and to advise them on how to better protect their users. We are hoping that Little Gossip will respond positively and work constructively with CEOP.

In the meantime, we recommend that young people refrain from using this website as they are likely to witness harmful content or experience cyberbullying. We would also ask that if professionals witness any of the above behaviour that they forward this to CEOP so that we can gather for intelligence purposes. As ever, if anyone feels a crime may have been committed they can inform their local police immediately.

If you are aware of a young person who has been bullied on Little Gossip, we encourage them to see advice and support at http://www.cybermentors.org.uk.

4. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

GrumbleDook (17th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    I was about to post the above, but angrytechnician beat me to it! Ta!

Thank Post
    It has to be one of the most irresponsible sites I've ever heard of! I'm attending an ecrime/esafety seminar on Monday, I'll see if they have any more information. If not, I'm doing the Ambassador training In January so I'm sure there'll be more info on it there!

Thank Post
    As of now (15:57 22-12) The site is down. Hope it stays there - parents and the press have been on the blower today already asking about it. It was in the Evening Standard last night and the Mail today...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well done fellow EduGeekers for kicking ar** on this seems your action has been a catalyst for the site being closed.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's hope it doesn't reappear. Horrible site.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Let's hope it doesn't reappear. Horrible site.
    No argument from me on that!

Thank Post
    Ok this is interesting but its late (plus beer) so I may be wrong.
    The site is up but I seem to have got my school removed. I cant search for my school and links that we had saved no longer work. This may be temporary or just a glitch but today I had used the contact form on LG to request institutional removal on the grounds that we dont have 18+ pupils..
    Ill see what happens tomorrow..

Thank Post
    LittleGossip Website and FaceBook page: "We are removing all schools from our database as part of our efforts to stop minors from using Little Gossip: Share and Discuss Latest University & College Gossip. Once this is done - the web site will go live. Students over 18 years old from universities and colleges and folks in organizations are welcomed to use the site".

Update: they haven't succeeded yet - several schools with College in their name are still there, as are others. Looks like a very amateur operation has been brought to book by the lawyers. No doubt the papers will enjoy this tomorrow.

It's well past beer o' clock and I'm off to bed.
    Last edited by Synesthesia; 22nd December 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Update

Thank Post
    I'd been emailing them all week about "issues" with their website, they had refused to remove our school, but were offereing for me to be able to send them links to threads for them to remove them, but this involved me sitting sifting through all of the posts, the site is blocked by us via websense, but the kids are at home and most parents don't have any filtering.
    Yesterday i was talking with them about legal procedings should a threat posted be carried out, they said they record all email addresses as users post, and that is their only tracking method
    I was able to post a comment using the email notreal@littlegossip.ru and told them to trace that and see how far that helped the authorities with any investigations brought about by what is posted on their site
    I was also able to not tick the I'm over 18 box and still have the message appear
    They said they were "investigating content filtering" but according to their facebook post of 18 dec 2010 this is already in place
    I Personally feel this is set up by some kids who have no idea what they are doing , have no legal clue, or any morals

Thank Post
    Well done fellow EduGeekers
    Akshully.. I think it might have been the Power of Mumsnet[tm] wotdunnit, for instance one mum posted: "I have been going on it and writing positive messages and encouraging people to not write nasty gossipy things."

If this isn't a permanent outage i.e. it comes back, then I would skip the clueless folk who made the site and go to their web-hosting company instead: That's apparently Midphase Hosting who say this violates their AUP: "Distributing hate speech, or any other content that is obscene, abusing, which could be considered libelous and defamatory."
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 23rd December 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    This has come from the ISC (Independent Schools Council) today:

In the end-November ISCnews we warned you about the LittleGossip website. It has been offline for amendment, but is now online again. The over-18 filter they have fitted is a simple click-through box, so it affords no protection from under-18s accessing the site. And despite assurances that schools were to be removed from the site there are still many schools listed there.

We advise you to check the site to see if your school still appears. A particular problem is schools with "College" in their title. If you are listed you could contact the site owners via the contact address on the site and ask for your school to be removed and for any future listing or reference to be blocked. You could remind the owners of their declared policy of restricting use to universities and FE colleges and stress that you are a school.

You may also want to consider whether you should take action with pupils during the holiday period. One possibility would be to alert your parents to the site and ask them to consider discussing cyber-bullying with their children. The key message would be that no-one is immune to being targeted because of the way the site is set up. However you may consider that this is a risky strategy because it could generate further interest in the site.

A possible alternative approach would be for your school to hold a meeting for parents about the risks associated with the internet and new technologies, perhaps using LittleGossip as a case study. You could then explain to parents your strategy for dealing with these risks and communicate to parents how they can support their children at home.

How you wish to react will depend on your own school's particular policy towards IT issues. Some are more liberal or relaxed than others.

16. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

AngryTechnician (27th December 2010)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see that this dreadful website is up and running again. There is some nasty material on there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast