+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
e-Safety Thread, Pokens!!!! What do you think in School Administration; What is a Poken? A Poken is the new social networking accessory that contains all your contact information. Put your ...
    Thank Post

Pokens!!!! What do you think

What is a Poken? A Poken is the new social networking accessory that contains all your contact information. Put your photo, name, email, social networking IDs, screen names in your Poken. When you meet other Poken owners, just touch Pokens to connect: swap your information for theirs, go home, plug it into your computer's USB port, and check in on your new friend in their Facebook, Myspace, LinkedIn or one of dozens of other social networking accounts. Already know your friends' accounts? Perfect. Poken keeps track of when they open or close new social networking accounts so you'll never lose touch. Your Social Business Card - Poken

Let me know what you think

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Is this your idea or something?

I think it's a great idea that in it's current form would be really appealing for kids/kids at heart, and if a 'pro' version was released (i.e. a more professional looking version) could have fantastic potential for businesses to replace business cards.

Admittedly I've not read through the whole site, but are they hardware encrypted so that if somebody were to get hold of yours they couldnt access all of your accounts and details? Because that could be a major flaw if not...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    I await the kids abusing them with interest

Thank Post
    You've got to be poken joking!

What's wrong with sending whatever details you want to give out by email? Can you not do this via smartphone? (I've never had cause to do it, but my old Visor from years back could beam out business details, so I guess my new phone can - just never had cause to).

That said, "tha kidz" might have a use for this sort of thing - as an old dinosaur who refuses to join any social network () I don't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post

I think it's a great idea that in it's current form would be really appealing for kids/kids at heart, and if a 'pro' version was released (i.e. a more professional looking version) could have fantastic potential for businesses to replace business cards.

Admittedly I've not read through the whole site, but are they hardware encrypted so that if somebody were to get hold of yours they couldnt access all of your accounts and details? Because that could be a major flaw if not...
    wish it was my idea mate, have been told to look into them and trying to get some feedback, from what i can tell they can be used for business as well, all you need to do is put your business website on and email address and email,

all you need to do is touch pokens and the data tranfers straight over, what a great idea

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post

to be honest i havnt looked into how secure they are at the moment, but im still reading up on them, if there secure then personally i think there a great idea, will keep you posted on that tho

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    You've got to be poken joking!

What's wrong with sending whatever details you want to give out by email? Can you not do this via smartphone? (I've never had cause to do it, but my old Visor from years back could beam out business details, so I guess my new phone can - just never had cause to).

That said, "tha kidz" might have a use for this sort of thing - as an old dinosaur who refuses to join any social network () I don't.
    An old dinosaur who missed out the ever-so-useful method for exchanging contact details which I, and many others, still use?

Illegible scribblings on bits of paper - the best bit is you can fake details more easily if you don't actually want to communicate with the person ever again.

Thank Post
    have just found out that if your poken gets stolen they are password protected, you have to register your poken on the website and input your business details if for that reason or even your facebook or myspace ect details in, once the pokens touch they transfer data

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So all you need in order to extract all of the data from one, is another one you know the password of?

I think password protecting them is a little pointless.

Thank Post
    but they wont send logins to each other just email adresses and links to social networking sites that they are on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2005 View Post
    but they wont send logins to each other just email adresses and links to social networking sites that they are on
    Yep and those carefully guarded secrets from the students are let loose because a little darling manages to touch the teacher's one and get all his social networking details and private email address. I'd be recommending school staff DON'T bring them to school... or even own one.

Thank Post
    keep your pokens safe people lol thats all i can say to that one

Thank Post
    Hmm... I'm not really too sure about this. I'd rather not have all of my accounts in one place, some of them are for work and others are personal... they need to stay separate (and I wouldn't buy 2). So I'll be sticking with good old e-mail/MSN and trusty pieces of paper.

I can see it being a fad with the kids at school though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Hmm... I'm not really too sure about this. I'd rather not have all of my accounts in one place, some of them are for work and others are personal... they need to stay separate (and I wouldn't buy 2). So I'll be sticking with good old e-mail/MSN and trusty pieces of paper.

I can see it being a fad with the kids at school though.
    There are two scenarios that worry me a lot:

Teacher A leaves his Poken on his desk. Student B touches it with his Poken and obtains email addresses, mobile number, telephone number, skype, facebook, etc about Teacher A and either uses it to make Teacher A's life a misery or spreads the information to the rest of the school.

Alternatively Student B's Poken is touched by the Poken belonging to either School Bully C or Child Abuser D. C or D have enough information in one go to make anyone shudder.

The more I think about it, these devices are insane! A Safeguarding nightmare!

EDIT

It would seem that no data is actually stored on the Poken which is good. They exchange tags and you get the other user's information via the website. But there doesn't seem to be any way of locking the poken so that it can only exchange information with your permission.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th July 2010 at 10:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    There are two scenarios that worry me a lot:

Teacher A leaves his Poken on his desk. Student B touches it with his Poken and obtains email addresses, mobile number, telephone number, skype, facebook, etc about Teacher A and either uses it to make Teacher A's life a misery or spreads the information to the rest of the school.

Alternatively Student B's Poken is touched by the Poken belonging to either School Bully C or Child Abuser D. C or D have enough information in one go to make anyone shudder.

The more I think about it, these devices are insane! A Safeguarding nightmare!

EDIT

It would seem that no data is actually stored on the Poken which is good. They exchange tags and you get the other user's information via the website. But there doesn't seem to be any way of locking the poken so that it can only exchange information with your permission.
    Not storing data on the poken is pretty much irrelevant, when that tag gives you access to all of the information anyway. I suspect there's some way to lock down the default information provided to someone else via the hub, but how many people will really do that?

Scenario c) school bully or malicious prankster steals someone else's poken, and goes around handing out their contact details to absolutely everyone that they can, endangering the original owner.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information