+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
e-Safety Thread, Pokens!!!! What do you think in School Administration; maybe you guys should read up about it and see what the potential damages actually are, im going to as ...
    Thank Post
    maybe you guys should read up about it and see what the potential damages actually are, im going to as well

Thank Post
    In a school there are obvious pitfalls

But in other environments, I quite like the idea. Of course they are completely pointless until they reach a point where more then 0.1% of people have them.

You - "Lets touch pokens"
    Everyone else - "WTF are you about? Sounds disgusting"

Thank Post
    not to mention, how sensitive are they for transmitting the data, and is there any encryption on the tags it transfers, so it can only be transferred to pokens (and legitimate ones) not just some guy with an rf scanner.

I think these are a trully horrible idea in a school environment, kids don't need more ways for random people to get eachothers contact details.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo2005 View Post
    maybe you guys should read up about it and see what the potential damages actually are, im going to as well
    I am and I have posted a question on their forum Safeguarding Concerns ... I am awaiting an answer for interest. I would like to be proved wrong, but somehow I doubt it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems like a good idea aimed at the children, provided they have the ability to lock out who gets the info via the website, or if it is tagged, what info is given out. I am lookin at the website and will give a phone call too them and pose these questions no behalf of all of us if that is ok?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just asked on the phone...answers are as follows

All details are given out, no chance of passwording any details or safeguarding as it is aimed at businesses not for education.
    And it has a maximum tag range of 2m, however they have to be held towards each other (not just swiped whilst it was in a radius).

For education = bad
    For business = not so bad

Thank Post
    I find it fascinating that my concern on their forum has been responded to within minutes of me saying I had posted it on this thread... ... makes me question who the original poster is.

This is the answer:
    We appreciate your concerns and always welcome comments and feedback.
    While in no way do we want to belittle the concern for safety and privacy, the poken data exchange is much like trading business cards. In the scenarios you list, perhaps a similar outcome would be had if A or B left their business cards, or any document with their address and/or phone number, lying around. Poken would actually provide an added level of security, as you can't "take back a business card" while you can delete contacts in your timeline.

We at Poken take data privacy and security very seriously, and follow or supersede best practises on the internet. One could argue that leaving your always-password-protected poken lying around would be far less damaging than a stray mobile phone full of sensitive data. Perhaps for some people Poken is a solution, rather than an additional risk.

Thank you for pointing out situations in which any user should be careful with their personal data, whether technology or internet-related, or not. It's always possible to think up negative scenarios relating to a product or technology. If one looks at the flip side of your comment, poken provides a new level of security to online relationships that is in line with the requirements set by the Child Protection Act: any sensitive audience, such as children, should be protected from establishing any kind of relationship online with anyone not met in person. Poken provides that validation, that the two users have indeed been allowed to have contact "in the real world".
    My less than satisfied reply is being drafted now!

Anyone else want to join up and chip in their two penn'orth before blocking the darn website on their web-filtering at school.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th July 2010 at 09:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't see how they can do anything to alleviate your concerns though elsiegee40. The devices work on the principal of quick and easy passing of contact details. Once the person then logs into the site, the information is visible to them.

How could it be password protected or something? It would defeat the purpose of the device entirely...

9. Thanks to localzuk from:

nephilim (16th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I can't see how they can do anything to alleviate your concerns though elsiegee40. The devices work on the principal of quick and easy passing of contact details. Once the person then logs into the site, the information is visible to them.

How could it be password protected or something? It would defeat the purpose of the device entirely...
    Have to agree with you on this, some people will not be happy with what they do, if your not happy then just dont get one. as for you saying i might work for Poken ltd that makes me laugh, i have been asked to look into these and find out some information

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

What concerns me is the suggestion that these things are targeted as business users, but they're quite blatantly designed with a 'cutesy' aspect.

On the other hand the USB key version is something I might be interested in if they do start getting popular, but I shudder at the thought of waving a little collectable toy at anyone I want to share contact details with. I can see that ending some business relationships before they begin, to say nothing of social ones.

Thank Post
    Looking at the website it does appear to be geared towards businesses/professionals (despite the designs of the 'pokens') rather than kids. If it was aimed at kids I could understand the concern but as it is it is just one of a million things that arnt really suitable in a school. They probably wont catch on anyway

Thank Post
    In my view the process should be as follows:

Pokens touch and exchange tags
    Pokens are connected to the internet by their respective users.
    At this point, the user should be asked, for each individual contact, whether they give permission for the other person to receive their contact details.
    If this is refused, the contact is dropped, otherwise the information can be exchanged.

This means that when Teacher A connects his Poken to the internet and sees that Student B wants his information the teacher can deny that information being passed on.

Similarly, Student B can deny his information going to School Bully D.

What I object to is that once these devices have made contact the exchange of information is the default... there is nno going back.

Thank Post
    This is my response to them:
    I'm sorry I have to disagree.

Just because something is designed for business does not mean young people will not use them. Their "fun" and "exciting" branding guarantees appeal. I can pretty well guarantee they will become a problem of some sort in schools.

"One could argue that leaving your always-password-protected poken lying around would be far less damaging than a stray mobile phone full of sensitive data" No - once contact has been made between the two pokens, as I understand it, the two users information is then exchanged and by going on the internet the users have access to the other person's data.

You are assuming that the device will always be used in "friendly" situations... ... it is too easy for the devices to be used without one party's consent. Once that private information is exchanged there is no way out and no way of saying "no, actually I don't want that person to have my details"

Meeting face-to-face does not make this Child Protection friendly. Child abusers groom by winning a youg person's trust and by finding a way of making themselves a constant in every aspect of the young person's lives.

In my view the process should be as follows:

Pokens touch and exchange tags
    Pokens are connected to the internet by their respective users.
    At this point, the user should be asked, for each individual contact, whether they give permission for the other person to receive their contact details.
    If this is refused, the contact is dropped, otherwise the information can be exchanged.

This means that when Teacher A connects his Poken to the internet and sees that Student B wants his information and the teacher can deny that information being passed on.

Similarly, Student B can deny his information going to School Bully D.

What I object to is that once these devices have made contact the exchange of information is the default... there is no going back before the exchange of details.

Thank Post
    will you let us know what the response is on this please

Thank Post
    thread revive

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information