+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
e-Safety Thread, Facebook to launch kids' panic button in School Administration; Facebook to launch kids' panic button | Metro.co.uk Love how they havent deleted the filler text at the bottom!...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Facebook to launch kids' panic button

Facebook to launch kids' panic button | Metro.co.uk

Love how they havent deleted the filler text at the bottom!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    BBC version: BBC News - Facebook to launch child safety 'panic button'

As I heard it on the radio this morning, facebook are only making it available for young people up to the age of 18. Personally, I think there should be no age restriction. Anything is better than nothing though Still I'm at work at the moment and can't get into fb to check what has appeared. I'll research more later!

Facebook CEOP page: Click CEOP | Facebook

Thank Post
    I was wanting to add this to our School face book page - I agree if its only available for 13 - 18 year olds it hits the target audience but it might as well be available to all to help spread the word.

Thank Post
    When I get a quiet moment I shall create a child account to see what it's about... unless I can persuade one of my teeangers to let me use their account (don't think so somehow!)

Thank Post
    My only "issue" with this, is this

What is to stop a child, who has taken a dislike to an adult on Facebook, etc and clicking the panic button on them..

example - pupil has a teacher as a friend on FB.. teacher gives pupil a bollocking in school over something. When the pupil returns home, he downloads the Panic Button, installs it, then goes to aforementioned teacher and clicks the button, thereby reporting the teacher to CEOP..

I am guessing that CEOP would be compelled to investigate...

It is for this reason I do not add pupils as friends on Facebook and would advise anyone on here not to either so as not to put themselves at risk...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    My only "issue" with this, is this

What is to stop a child, who has taken a dislike to an adult on Facebook, etc and clicking the panic button on them..

example - pupil has a teacher as a friend on FB.. teacher gives pupil a bollocking in school over something. When the pupil returns home, he downloads the Panic Button, installs it, then goes to aforementioned teacher and clicks the button, thereby reporting the teacher to CEOP..

I am guessing that CEOP would be compelled to investigate...

It is for this reason I do not add pupils as friends on Facebook and would advise anyone on here not to either so as not to put themselves at risk...
    I'd say tough........all LEA guides tell teachers NOT to become 'friends' on social networking sites with pupils or ex pupils.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    I'd say tough........all LEA guides tell teachers NOT to become 'friends' on social networking sites with pupils or ex pupils.
    Exactly-the same goes for sharing mobile phone numbers with them etc etc - it's common sense. Our guidelines on social networking extends to parents/carers too

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    Don't forget support staff too! It's not just teachers that get falsely accused.

Even after students leave, you should leave a minimum of at least 3 years before communicating with ex-students (e-mail, IM, Facebook etc.). That's what our LEA told us.

Thank Post
    As others have said, all guidelines say that you should not be friends with for adults working with children and young people on social networking websites who you know through your professional role. Caution should be exercised with recent leavers.

Our AUP and Code of Conduct both state this and also extend social networking to gaming on websites or game consoles such as X-Box and PS3. Gamer tags must not be disclosed to students and if they become known, they must be changed.

It's a sad, but necessary, part of today's world that adults must take steps to protect themselves and their careers.

As for what's to stop a young person reporting maliciously... the answer is nothing, but then again they can do that by other means than facebook already.

There can be only one rule for school staff "cover your back". Don't put yourself in a position where you can be accused.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    It's also worth being a member of a union too (just in case).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    As for what's to stop a young person reporting maliciously... the answer is nothing, but then again they can do that by other means than facebook already.
    Which begs the question, is the Facebook/CEOP "panic button" really necessary?

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Yes - i'm gonna use it on all my colleagues that i dont like! Mwah ha ha ha.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    It is wrongly called a 'panic' button. It is a means of reporting.

Equally those worried could call their local police station or crime stoppers. We don't chuck those away because they might be abused.

As with many things in life, it is about providing more than one route for people to do things so that they can choose to use the one that they are most comfortable with.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know, that's why I used the quotes. I do understand what you're saying about providing options, but I remain dubious as to how effective they (report buttons on other 3rd party services, not the facility on the CEOP site itself) really are.

In the Ashleigh Hall case (which was a large instigator in Facebook's adoption of this) it has been reported that she also used Windows Messenger to communicate with her attacker Peter Chapman. Windows Messenger does carry a CEOP button but seemingly never used. It's my opinion that it's an education issue - if people think they are not in danger then they are unlikely to use the reporting feature.

Thank Post
    Ashleigh Hall did have the option through msn to report as you say... the problem is that those being groomed don't generally realise what is happening so don't report. The abusers are clever at building relationships and it would never occur to most victims that they were being targetted

I haven't seen the statistics, but I can't help wondering how many reports are actually made by thirs parties, such as parents, who have become suspicious.

Nevertheless, I'll stand by my view that the easier it is to report this kind of thing, the better. If only 1 person gets caught and one person is protected, that's better than none. A report button online is a relatively cheap way of making this available.

With teenagers there's always an acceptability problem. Targetting something just at them automatically makes it 'uncool'. Like you said, it's an education issue... up there with safe s3x in terms of importance!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 13th July 2010 at 11:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast