+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
e-Safety Thread, Facebook to launch kids' panic button in School Administration; I agree. It's not a silver bullet - there are many factors at play and no one single button is ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree. It's not a silver bullet - there are many factors at play and no one single button is the solution to the problems faced. The "it'll never happen to me" invincibility that youngsters seem to have will always be there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Equally those worried could call their local police station or crime stoppers. We don't chuck those away because they might be abused.
    The problem is most people, not just children, honestly believe things they do on the internet never carry any consiquences. Reporting a teacher as a paedo to the police is a very deliberate action; you need to walk to a pay/public phone, find the number of the cop shop, have a full blown convosation with a person while not laughing (or having your mates laugh behind you)...
    The panic button is as simple as "Mr bloggs touched me behind the bike shed" *SEND*

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    The problem is most people, not just children, honestly believe things they do on the internet never carry any consiquences. Reporting a teacher as a paedo to the police is a very deliberate action; you need to walk to a pay/public phone, find the number of the cop shop, have a full blown convosation with a person while not laughing (or having your mates laugh behind you)...
    The panic button is as simple as "Mr bloggs touched me behind the bike shed" *SEND*
    I suggest you go the CEOP page called by the 'panic' button and investigate for youself... it is far from that.

There are some very direct questions to answer and those completing the form have to acknowledge that police take all reports seriously and may need to contact the reporter.

CEOP Report Abuse
    Click on the big red button at the bottom
    Next screen:
    If someone has acted inappropriately online towards you. This may have included sexual or offensive chat, asking you to do something you dont feel comfortable with, sending you material you find offensive or inappropriate or being insistent about meeting you in the real world. This contact may have been in a chat room, on a message board, in a social networking site, over instant messenger or on a mobile phone and the content could have been sent to you through email, postings and so on.- no matter where, or how it happened you shouldnt have to put up with it and by making a report you could help make the internet safer for not only you but all other users as well.
    click on Make a CEOP Report

Go through a couple of pages of questions:
    Your consent
    * Do you agree to your details being shared with international law enforcement agencies?
    * Check this box if you are a resident of the UK. If your answer is no, you will be redirected to a different site / page where you will be able to select your country of residence.
    * Check this box to ensure that you understand the following. We take all reports seriously. Police time will be spent in investigating this report and a police officer may be in contact with you if appropriate.
    Have you already reported this to the police?
    Each of the above can be agreed to separately

It is not as quick or simple as you make out ... don't believe everything you read in the tabloids.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    elsiegee - how do you feel about the fact that young people have to download it themselves? I fear that they won't do it because of being cool or invincible or whatever and they when they might have used it - it won't be there in front of them. I suppose they could download it then, but will they?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    elsiegee - how do you feel about the fact that young people have to download it themselves? I fear that they won't do it because of being cool or invincible or whatever and they when they might have used it - it won't be there in front of them. I suppose they could download it then, but will they?
    Being perfectly honest... they won't download.

Why would they? They'll never need it

Just how uncool can anyone be in even suggesting they might!

That's why it should be just generally available like the one on msn.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I suggest you go the CEOP page called by the 'panic' button and investigate for youself... it is far from that.
    I've looked at the panic button thanks and i stand by my point.

Ok it isnt "Mr Bloggs is.." * SEND*.
    Its "Im under 18", NEXT, NEXT, contact form, "Mr Bloggs did...", Mr Bloggs is, NEXT, NEXT.
    It took me all of 30 seconds to complete the process.

Reading the Daily Mail doesnt make you better than me you know
    Last edited by j17sparky; 13th July 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I've looked at the panic button thanks and i stand by my point.

Ok it isnt "Mr Bloggs is.." * SEND*.
    Its "Im under 18", NEXT, NEXT, contact form, "Mr Bloggs did...", Mr Bloggs is, NEXT, NEXT.
    It took me all of 30 seconds to complete the process.

Reading the Daily Mail doesnt make you better than me you know
    Don't read the Mail, except at the outlaws...

I'll leave you to work out what I do read

Thank Post
    I've been having a play with the facebook app: ClickCEOP App - Facebook

While facebook are only promoting it with those aged betwen 13 and 18, anyone can use it. It can put a tab on your facebook page, there's a 'badge' to share and you can bookmark 'clickCEOP'

I've added the tab to my profile... I doubt my kids will, but they know where they can get to it should they feel the need!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12