+ Post New Thread
e-Safety Thread, Facebook awareness amongst staff in School Administration; Hi everyone, I'm preparing to hold an awareness-raising session with staff on the use of social networking sites, particularly Facebook. ...

Thank Post

Facebook awareness amongst staff

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to hold an awareness-raising session with staff on the use of social networking sites, particularly Facebook. The main driver behind this is the current Year 11 cohort, who have just left, now feel its appropriate to add members of staff to their Facebook friends list. Some of our staff have accepted these requests without really understanding the complex nature of Facebook security settings, or what they might be opening up.

I'm interest to know how other people have presented this sort of thing to their staff. I suppose I'm looking to scare them with some facts and figures, and also show them how to lock down their profiles, so if people have any stories they can share or know of any useful sources of information, that would be great.

Many thanks,

John

By the way, hope I've posted this in the right section... It seemed like the most appropriate place.

Thank Post
    Have a look at this post it's got a good link
    Also, the first post has good info on suggested security settings.

I used this story in my presentation
    Ontario college of teachers has good advice to
    edit - I've attached the relevant part of the PowerPoint presentation I gave to staff - (the first part was the CEOP purely for parents and I've removed it). If it's any use do as you please with it
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by joe90bass; 22nd June 2010 at 07:52 PM.

3. 2 Thanks to joe90bass:

elsiegee40 (22nd June 2010), john_robinson001 (23rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Hi! e-safety is rather my thing!

I'll start by giving you this thread [NEW VERSION]Facebook privacy settings which contains a document put together for our staff on Facebook Privacy Settings. It's got a creative commons (C) on it - basically use it how you like in school, just don't charge for it!

Next I suggest you use this document from kent Safeguarding Children's Board: KSCB - Safer Practice with Technology - Guidance for adults who work with children and young people

I'm both a secondary school governor and in charge of a private prep school IT network and heavily involved in e-Safety at both. At both schools we have started the e-Safety campaign with staff. A new stricter AUP and code of conduct was introduced at both schools (looking somewhat similar - they did the code of conduct, I did the AUP)

Both form part of staff contracts. Contractual obligations at both schools mean it is now a disciplinary offence for any member of staff (not just the teachers) to befriend current or former students under the age of 18 on the internet and that includes game websites and game consoles as well as social networking websites.

They were introduced in training under the heading "e-Safety, Safeguarding Children, Protecting You"... the whole topic being centred around how they could protect themselves and their careers by taking simple precautions. We have successfully scared the life out of staff at both schools Further impetus at my governor school occurred when training staff at my school. Two parents at the governor school are colleagues at my school. After the training they said their sons were regularly on the PS3 with their teachers. I reassured and then made a hasty phone call - therir training was accelerated!

As for posting in the right place, I've asked the admins for an e-Safety board. Hopefully it'll come soon.
    I have a load of stuff: powerpoints,etc that I'm willing to share. PM your email address and I'll email it over.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 22nd June 2010 at 07:47 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

gumbygaz (15th July 2010), john_robinson001 (23rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Websites that are excellent for information:

ThinkUKnow (has a good teachers/trainers section with loads of material)
    www.thinkunknow.co.uk

KentTrustWeb e-Safety
    Kent Trust Web - Kent County Council - ICT

Kent ICT e-Safety
    Kent ICT | Kent Trust Web provided by Kent County Council

Kent e-Safety officer's bookmarks
    esafetyofficer_Kent's Bookmarks on Delicious

Videos available through ThinkUKnow are also available on TeacherTube and YouTube, depending on you filtering!

CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre) Videos on TeacherTube:
    TeacherTube.com CEOP Education

CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre) Videos on Youtube:
    YouTube - CEOP

7. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

gumbygaz (15th July 2010), john_robinson001 (23rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, some excellent links and really useful information there. The Kent documents are really helpful - I'm using them at the minute to refine our e-Safety strategy.

I'm hoping to put the whole staff through the half-day CEOP training in the new school year, having completed my Ambassador training about a month ago. In the short term, I'm targetting Facebook.

An e-Safety board would be really useful - I was actually looking for one last night when I was posting, but hopefully it will be along shortly!

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Passed this onto staff recently:-

The following links give useful information for the victim in a Facebook hijack, or on the action required if someone is impersonating you on Facebook

Security: Hacked account: Hilfebereich | Facebook

Password recovery: Passwort zurücksetzen | Facebook

Password recovery: (with no access to original email account) Hilfebereich | Facebook

General Facebook Security Info: Hilfebereich | Facebook

Securing your Facbook profile: Hilfebereich | Facebook

Security: Someone is attacking or harassing me on the site: Hilfebereich | Facebook

I need to report an impostor profile.
    If someone has created an account to impersonate or imitate you, please go to the impostor profile and click "Report/block this person" at the bottom of the left column. Check the "Report this Person" box, choose "Fake Profile" as the reason, and add "Impersonating me or someone else" as the report type. Be sure to add a valid web address (URL) leading to the real profile so that we can review the information.

Social networking | Protecting privacy and safety | Student advice | Teachtoday

I hope this may help

Regards

Steve

10. Thanks to MGSTech from:

john_robinson001 (24th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Hi! e-safety is rather my thing!

I'm both a secondary school governor and in charge of a private prep school IT network and heavily involved in e-Safety at both. At both schools we have started the e-Safety campaign with staff. A new stricter AUP and code of conduct was introduced at both schools (looking somewhat similar - they did the code of conduct, I did the AUP)
    Hello, I think you posted some of this info on ukGovernors the other day? This is so comprehensive and helpful, thanks very much!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread