XOWA - Offline Wikipedia Viewer
XOWA is a free, open-source application that lets you download Wikipedia to your computer. No internet connection required! Features
- Download a complete, recent copy of English Wikipedia.
- Display 4.4+ million articles in full HTML formatting.
- Show images within an article. Access 3.7+ million images using the offline image databases.
- Set up over 660+ other wikis including:
- English Wiktionary
- English Wikisource
- English Wikiquote
- English Wikivoyage
- Non-English wikis, such as French Wiktionary, German Wikisource, Dutch Wikivoyage
- Wikimedia Commons
- ... and many more!
- Update your wiki whenever you want, using Wikimedia's database backups.
- Navigate between offline wikis. Click on "Look up this word in Wiktionary" and instantly view the page in Wiktionary.
- Edit articles to remove vandalism or errors.
- Install to a flash memory card for portability to other machines.
- Run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
- View the HTML for any wiki page
- Search for any page by title using a Wikipedia-like Search box
- Browse pages by alphabetical order using Special:AllPages
- Find a word on a page.
- Access a history of viewed pages
- Bookmark your favorite pages.
- Hosted by SourceForge.net
Note. English Wikipedia has a lot of data. There are 13.9+ million pages with 20.0+ GB of text, as well as 3.7+ million thumbnails.
Setting all this up on your computer will not be a quick process. As a general estimate, you will need at least 25 GB of disk space. The import itself will require 80 GB of disk space and 5 hours processing time for the text version. If you want images as well, the numbers increase to 100 GB of disk space and 30 hours of processing time. However, when you are done, you will have a complete, recent copy of English Wikipedia with images that can fit on a 128 GB SD card.