+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Downloads Thread, VNC in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Where can i get a version of vnc when installed on the client the sys tray icon is removed and ...

Thank Post

VNC

Where can i get a version of vnc when installed on the client the sys tray icon is removed and the user cannot close the process down ?, i think i heard of tight vnc but cant quite remember, posting this now while i take a look so appreciate someone elses greater knowledge on this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: VNC

UltraVNC has this facility along with AD authentication. It's the version I use at work.

Thank Post

Just testing ultra out now two things, one is the mouse of the pc i am controlling seems to "spac out" and flicker alot any suggestions?

also is it possbile to create connection files for each pc in a room and just double click to view that pc ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just testing ultra out now two things, one is the mouse of the pc i am controlling seems to "spac out" and flicker alot any suggestions?
    Install the video driver on the client. You also might need to mess with the update settings. Failing that, you have a network problem.

also is it possbile to create connection files for each pc in a room and just double click to view that pc ?
    You can use the command line options with the vncviewer software and create standard windows shortcuts to do this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We use TightVNC and there's a registry key to hide the tray icon.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    We use TightVNC and there's a registry key to hide the tray icon.
    You could also try 'VNCon' meaning console, you can carry out remote installs of VNC over the network and tinternet, just google VNCon and best of all it's totally free. A bit of config needed, but it is so easy.

Enjoy!

http://vncon.chronetal.co.uk/

Thank Post

You can even try gencontrol by gensortium you don't have to install a vnc client to access workstations on your network. simply run the exe from your desktop and select find hosts.

Thank Post

look at a program called vnc scan mate, is a nice vnc manager program

Thank Post

Vnc

Hi there

Can i use tightvnc to remote desktop to my work pc from home? Is the setup easy?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Hi there

Can i use tightvnc to remote desktop to my work pc from home? Is the setup easy?
    You'd need to open the relevant ports and have them forwarding correctly (or a VPN setup) - my guess is you would have issues with your LEA/RBC to get ports opened.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use realVNC with a patch, Click Here to download it.

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can aslso lock down Tight VNC (as well as remove the tray icon) to be doubly secure. (documentation on how to are on the Tight VNC site).

How can I hide the system tray icon in WinVNC?

Win32 TightVNC includes code from TridiaVNC distributions, and therefore it should include Tridia's modification to disable the tray icon. Here is a quote from TridiaVNC 1.3.3 announce:

* Added registry flag to cleanly disable the tray icon on all platforms and in all modes without affecting other settings. The default is "0" and indicates that the tray icon should not be disabled. A value of "1" will suppress the tray icon for all users.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "0"
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\DisableTrayIcon DWORD "1"

Thus, to disable the tray icon, you should start the "regedit" utility from the command line, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\ folder, and create a DWORD parameter with the name "DisableTrayIcon" and the value "1". Then, after restarting WinVNC, the icon will not be shown anymore.

But please note that hiding the icon is usually not a good idea. For example, if you want to restrict users from changing the server Properties, it might be better to use the AllowProperties setting. For more information, see the description of "AllowProperties", "AllowShutdown" and "AllowEditClients" options in the VNC documentation.
    AllowProperties

If this is set to zero, the user is not allowed to view the properties dialog and hence cannot change any settings, including the password. Note that this stops all global per-user settings. A valid password must therefore be in force before using this setting, generally in the local default-user setting. Local per-user setting.
    AllowShutdown

If this is set to zero, the user is not allowed to close down WinVNC. Local per-user setting.
    (taken from TightVNC FAQ & RealVNC Docs
    Last edited by mark; 19th January 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I use lanview 3 with TightVNC from MST Software, download the TightVNC msi file and the system tray icon is hidden automatically.

Lanview 3 is really good for remote control of pc's on your network.

Thank Post
    > Can i use tightvnc to remote desktop to my work pc from home? Is the setup easy?

Fog Creek Software produce an application called Copilot (see https://www.copilot.com/) that creates VNC connections over HTTP (in a similar way to how Skype works). I don't know if any free versions are available yet.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    logmein.com do a very nice vnc style program for remote access

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information