+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Books.Show Reader - Includes 40 of the most influential English books of all time in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Apart from being a great WPF tech demo, this could be a really useful resource for your English department or ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts

Books.Show Reader - Includes 40 of the most influential English books of all time

Apart from being a great WPF tech demo, this could be a really useful resource for your English department or library.

Website / Download (MSI)

Books.Show is a fully functional reader application ships with 40 of the most influential English books of all time, for free! When running this application on Windows 7, you will be able to control the application and flip pages using touch. You will also find that the application integrates with Taskbar showing the latest books you read, and give you access to a library of books.

Books.Show is a developer resource application, where you get to full source code of complete and fully functional application that is using Windows 7 unique features like Windows Touch and the Windows Taskbar.
    The thoughts behind the application
    We set to write a free Windows eBook reader that will show the true powers of Windows, specifically Windows 7. We took some of the top 40 most influential English books of all time from the Project Gutenberg site, and converted the EPUB formatted books to the application's book format (bookx) which is optimize for WPF and Windows. That is you get blazing fast reading, page turning and navigation experience. The application design is simple and clean, and together with Windows Touch and Taskbar, the overall UX is quite amazing.

Our goal is to enable developer to build such applications for Windows, and therefore we release the application code.

Screenshots

2. Thanks to Arthur from:

DaveP (6th November 2010)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I will give it a go next week.

Edit: I have tried it on a single station at work. It works very well [I had thought that perhaps it wouldn't, fearing that it might be a Windows7 only app]

All I need to do now is check that the MSI will go down to workstations via Group Policy/Active Directory.
    Last edited by DaveP; 6th November 2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Add detail to the post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Thanks for checking, Dave. It looks like this will work on any OS which has Microsoft's .NET Framework v3.5 installed.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having checked the program for a user on my network it does not work as well as I had hoped.When the user runs the program it starts well enough except that when it creates the Books.Library Show folder in their redirected MyDocuments it does not create the correct registry entries.

To read Wuthering Heights they would have to first run the shortcut to create their own copy of the library and then go to the library and run the book they want from there. Once all 40 books have been run the program will work normally but only at that station. If they logon at another station the whole process begins again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread