Downloads Thread, Windows Home Server "Vail" August Preview now available in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Microsoft have posted the latest beta version of Windows Home Server v2 on their Connect website. I'm really looking forward ...
16th August 2010, 09:07 PM #1
Windows Home Server "Vail" August Preview now available
Microsoft have posted the latest beta version of Windows Home Server v2 on their Connect website. I'm really looking forward to the final version which will be released later this year, especially since it will have native support for backing up Mac's, more than 4GB RAM and 2TB+ HDDs.
Download / Screenshots
Today Microsoft has released an updated preview build of Windows Home Server “Vail.”
This build has some very welcome changes and some cool new features. Among these changes and new features are the following:
- Ability to enable or disable Add-ins at will from within the Dashboard
- Improvements to the Getting Started tasks
- New color scheme for the Dashboard, Remote Web Access, and Connect Computer website
- Client Connector for Mac OS (Yes, you read that right, Mac OS!)
- Alert Viewer now allows for alerts to be organized based on computer name or severity
- Server Folders and Hard Drives now includes a summary tab
- There is now the ability to create a bootable USB flash drive that can be used to restore a client computer
- Official support for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Betas
However, there are some issues and changes in this build that need to be mentioned up front.
- For users of a previous release of Vail, you will have to migrate data off of your test server to another PC or external storage device before reinstallation as Drive Extender has undergone more changes making DE drives from previous releases incompatible with the August preview.
- There is a QFE available along with this build that addresses an issue where saving files to a Vail server may fail when a large amount of data is present on the server. It is advised that this QFE be installed immediately after installing Vail.
- Storage Check and Repair is broken in this release, as under certain conditions, there may be data loss.
- If a hard drive goes missing from the storage pool and you attempt to remove that missing hard drive from the storage pool, the removal wizard may inadvertently remove the wrong files from your server.
IDG Tech News
17th August 2010, 10:13 AM #2
That looks nice, I've been using WHS for a while and really like it. However it's so annoying that you can't put a TV tuner in there and have a centralised recording centre.
By Trapper in forum Windows
Last Post: 3rd May 2010, 12:54 AM
By albertwt in forum Windows
Last Post: 29th March 2010, 02:01 PM
Last Post: 11th September 2009, 10:01 AM
By m2d2 in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 28th December 2007, 09:54 PM
Last Post: 28th September 2006, 08:06 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)