+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Free Utilities that may be useful in Links, Downloads and Scripts; ...
    ANB

Thank Post

Free Utilities that may be useful

Hi all,

I myself used to work in a school, and I developed various applications to aid network managers and technicians in their day-to-life. I would like to bring these to your attention as there may be something there that may be of help to you. Here is a brief list of free applications we have, some of which are not currently available from our website:

Password Changer
    Allow staff to change the password of students when the students have forgotten it. This then saves time for the network managers and technicians as the teacher can do it instead. This does require permissions to be set correctly on the network.

Registry Checker
    Do you require certain registry settings to be reset back to a default value every time a user logs in? This free utility will do exactly that!

RunAs
    A simple replacement for the standard Windows RunAs except that you can supply the users’ password on the command line. This can be useful when running batch files.

Share Copy
    Doing any server migration? This can save you hours by copying shares from one server to another. All permissions and attributes are copied too! Please note this application is also integrated into another product called Shares Manager, which is a paid for application.

Shares From Directory
    Do you need to create shares for all of your users in bulk? This application can create shares in a flash based on a bunch of selected directories. Each directory will be shared the same as its name, along with various options that you can specify. Please note this application is also integrated into another product called Shares Manager, which is a paid for application.

Add Directory Rights
    Similar to the Shares From Directory application, this application will add the user of the same name as the directory to the permissions of the directory. When selecting multiple directories each one will have its equivalent user account added. This can be useful when creating new user accounts and you need to set the permissions on them quickly. This could also be useful when migrating to a new server. Please note this application is also integrated into another product called FileSystem Utilities, which is a paid for application.

Inherit Rights
    This little application will propagate the file permissions of a folder to all of its children, and children’s children. This could also be useful when migrating to a new server. Please note this application is also integrated into another product called FileSystem Utilities, which is a paid for application.

NT File Copy
    This little application will copy files along with their attributes and permissions. In Windows attributes and permissions are inherited from the destination location. This application will append the permissions and set the attributes as specified by the source. This could also be useful when migrating to a new server. Please note this application is also integrated into another product called FileSystem Utilities, which is a paid for application.

We also have some applications that have never seen the light of day but were created, like all the others, to solve headaches of network managers and technicians. Here are some of them that may be of interest to you:

Print Manager
    This application will monitor all print jobs and record them to a database. At present there is no method of viewing the records except for looking in the database manually. However, should this be of interest then we would implement a reporting mechanism. Originally it was conceived that this reporting mechanism would appear in the introupe Intranet product.

System Status Notification
    When a system “goes down” usually the phone never stops ringing. With this application the network manager can update the status of services centrally which will then get pushed out to every PC, whereby they will receive a notification that a service has become unavailable. When the service is updated to be available again then the notification is sent to each PC to update them.

Systems Manager
    The principle of this application is to remotely manage every PC on a network. A client is installed remotely from a central location which acts as the eyes and ears of you. From the central location you can inform the client to perform various actions including registry tweaks, file management, shutdown, logoff, send message, etc.

Modules for introupe
    A few modules have been developed for introupe but have never been released commercially. These modules include an Internet Access Manager where staff can request websites to be allowed or banned, and students can view categorised lists of websites that have been allowed. Another module is called Work Experience. This is designed to manage the staff who are allocated to visit students on work experience.

If any of these applications are of any interest to you then please email me at adambent@anbsoftware.co.uk where I will be only too happy to send them on to you.

Kind regards,
    Adam

2. 8 Thanks to ANB:

dhicks (30th June 2010), gdoyle (1st July 2010), jdude768 (3rd July 2010), JJonas (9th July 2010), KarlGoddard (2nd July 2010), mark (30th June 2010), nephilim (2nd July 2010), reggiep (7th September 2010)

ANB

Thank Post
    I forgot to mention that I also have a little app for logging user logins and logouts. All you have to do it add it to the login and log off scripts and the the app will write out to a file on the network who is logging in/out, time, etc. Then should you need to track down where someone one was logged in, then you can do so.

If this is of any interest to you then please email me at adambent@anbsoftware.co.uk where I will be only too happy to send it on to you.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Adam how long did it take you to come up with these gems?

ANB

Thank Post
    My background is software development so whenever I had a problem my first thought was to create a program to solve it. But they have not seen the light of day until I posted them in here. With the response I have had I'd wish I'd have done it much sooner. Most of these programs are 10 years old now. If any of the programs require a little tweaking to meet your needs then I can look in to it, as long as it is a little tweak, after all, they are free.

Adam

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am just curious as to whether or not they work on 2K8R2 thats all!

ANB

Thank Post
    I can't see any reason why any of them would not work on Windows Server 2008 R2. No one has mentioned otherwise.

Adam

Thank Post
    Hi Adam

I just sent you an email i would be interested for sure in that password changer if i could get it to work here for staff

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread