+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Netwrix USB Blocker [This Could Solve A Problem I Have Been Working On Recently] in Links, Downloads and Scripts; I have been trying to block access to USB ports for nominated network users. This might just do the trick. ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Netwrix USB Blocker [This Could Solve A Problem I Have Been Working On Recently]

I have been trying to block access to USB ports for nominated network users. This might just do the trick. I will be trying it tomorrow.

Netwrix USB Blocker, the real time utility allows centralized access control to prevent unauthorized use of removable media connecting to computer USB ports.

Prevent unauthorized use of removable devices with this amazing blocker that enforces centralized access control preventing unauthorized use of removable media connecting to computer USB ports like: memory sticks, removable hard disks, iPods, and more. The amazing utility harnesses the endpoint security to your system and also enables regulatory compliance with SOX, GLBA and HIPAA. This application requires no deployment of agents on client computers. The program enhances features like: seamless integration with Active Directory, no requirement of client deployment, complete centralized management, and a simple interface that makes it compatible to the novice user too.

Download link: Free Netwrix USB Blocker download [E-Mail entry required]

Reviewed:

The NetWrix USB Blocker centrally disables USB devices to prevent unauthorized use of removable media that connects to computer USB ports, for example, memory sticks, removable hard disks, iPods, and more. Works without agents.

Features: Removable media is often a source of security problems. Thus a central disabling of removable media particularly the variety of removable things that work through the USB ports on machines are a major source of trouble. Netwrix USB blocker imposes centralized access control. It prevents memory sticks, removable hard disks, iPods and so on, access through the USB ports. This is an important aspect of endpoint security and this lockdown prevents transfer of malware via the portable devices and prevents theft of sensitive data.

Unlike other solutions, it requires no deployment on client computers and relies only on built-in Group Policy mechanisms. Another advantage of the tool is simplicity, only a couple of mouse clicks to get the work done. Unauthorized use of removable devices is completely blocked. Endpoint security is hardened which is a need for compliance with regulations like the HIPPA, SOX and GLBA. NetWrix USB Blocker is provided free of charge for unlimited use by organizations and individuals. Besides storage devices the program prevent any kind of access by any type of USB devices that may include iPods, printers, network adapters, modems, imaging devices etc. For granular control you can provide a Computer list to exclude. You can even block by OU. Couple mouse clicks sets up the complete thing.

Overall: It provides a nice and simple way to block a security weak point.
    Hoping this will solve my problem...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,462 Posts
    Free version for up to 50 computers

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blast! Missed that. I guess I was too keen for this to be the answer to my problem.

I will look into the costs of deploying it across the network tomorrow [if it works satisfactorily]

Edit: Thinking on this again I have realised that I do not need it across the whole network. The problem group I have is an exam group who have to use the network without access to the Internet or their usual domain usernames. I have been trying to find a way to block their access to USB storage devices for the duration of the exam.

The download is supplied as an MSI so I could deploy it to the the room where the exam will take place [30 stations] This would mean that I could use it as the free version.

I suppose the other tack I could take is to say USB storage comes under the same category as mobile phones, crib notes, ... [ie: Items which are not permitted in the exam]
    Last edited by DaveP; 26th January 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add content/detail to the post.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Free version for up to 50 computers
    Plenty enough for a lot of primary schools.

Will investigate this 'ere tool.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    This application requires no deployment of agents on client computers. The program enhances features like: seamless integration with Active Directory, no requirement of client deployment, complete centralized management, and a simple interface that makes it compatible to the novice user too.
    It sounds like this is just a front-end for the features already included with Windows?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread