+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Protect Your Files And Folder On Your Pen Drives With USB Safeguard in Links, Downloads and Scripts; USB Safeguard is a freeware, portable tool for protecting your data on pen drives (USB Sticks). As USB Pen drives ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries

Protect Your Files And Folder On Your Pen Drives With USB Safeguard

USB Safeguard is a freeware, portable tool for protecting your data on pen drives (USB Sticks).
    As USB Pen drives are a hand held device, there are chances for losing or theft. This tool helps you password protect your documents and folders by encrypting them using AES 256 bits encryption algorithm.

The utility is very simple to use. After downloading the tool, copy it in your USB drive. Then run it. After giving the password click OK.

Then simply drag and drop files and folders from your USB drive into the program’s windows to quickly protect your sensitive documents.

While this may be achieved using other methods I thought that the presentation was interesting and original.

Edit: Link: Protect Your Files And Folder On Your Pen Drives With USB Safeguard
    Last edited by DaveP; 11th January 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Add download URL [oops!]

Thank Post
    Not sure if i would trust a program whose FAQ said...

Quote Originally Posted by FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    What does portable?
    You don't need to install the software. Download, copy in your usb pen drive and run it!

Are the data sure in an password protected ZIP-file?
    No. Also known as standard password protected ZIP-files. This protection scheme is rather weak and tools that can 'recover' (crack) these passwords exist. All ZIP-tools support this encrypton scheme and can be used to unzip your protected files, but you should not rely on this protection scheme to protect sensitive data.

Using BitLocker drive encryption?
    BitLocker provides extremely strong protection for both the operating system and user files. The downside of BitLocker is that the encrypted partition must be set up when Windows 7 is installed. BitLocker is a new feature exclusive of Windows 7 and is no available in Windows XP.

What is AES?
    AES stands for Advanced Encryption Standard. AES is a symmetric key encryption technique which will replace the commonly used Data Encryption Standard (DES). AES provides strong encryption and has been selected by NIST as a Federal Information Processing Standard in November 2001 (FIPS-197), and in June 2003 the U.S. Government (NSA) announced that AES is secure enough to protect classified information up to the TOP SECRET level.
    ...and isn't 256-bits a bit low on the uncrackable scale?

mb

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Not sure if i would trust a program whose FAQ said...

...and isn't 256-bits a bit low on the uncrackable scale?

mb
    Hadn't looked as far as the FAQs.

When I spotted this I was drawn to it because it suited the needs of some of our staff so neatly. Just today I had to help a member of staff with a folder which had been 'deleted' from his memory stick. While I was able to recover the folder in question I saw this as a way of preventing this from happening in again.

Back to the drawing board.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread