+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Comodo Time Machine – A Better Alternative To Windows System Restore? in Links, Downloads and Scripts; ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries

Comodo Time Machine – A Better Alternative To Windows System Restore?

Windows System Restore, introduced in Windows Me, is a life saving feature that allows for the rolling back of system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc. to a previous state in the event of malfunctioning or failure. System Restore has helped me numerous time to recover my system due to corrupt files and faulty application programs.

Windows System Restore however suffers from one drawback – it cannot rollback changes made to user files such as documents, images and the like. This kind of ability is available only on Comodo Time Machine (CTM), a powerful system rollback utility.
    Cost: Free

I have turned off system restore at work. I might use this at home though. One downside I can see is that it requires a lot of disk space [around 10 Gb] but then it is storing the snapshots for the whole system [including the registry, critical operating system files and user created documents]

Link: Comodo Time Machine

2. 3 Thanks to DaveP:

Dos_Box (7th January 2010), jinnantonnix (9th July 2010), speckytecky (6th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm currently testing this as a replacement for Windows SteadyState, which for some reason, will not be supported on Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I'm currently testing this as a replacement for Windows SteadyState, which for some reason, will not be supported on Windows 7.
    How does the testing going on?Any drawbacks comparing to SteadyState?Would you recommend it for a WSS replacement?

Thanks in advance Dennis.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i've used the free version on two of my machines at home. one thing (might just be me) is that when it came time to remove it, it asks what snapshot to restore to, i chose the latest one. it spent ages trying to remove, crashed, then killed my MBR on one. took ages, crashed then restored to my very first snapshot on a second PC. it's great while it works, but if you ever need to uninstall it might cause a problem

Thank Post
    I have also tried the Comodo Time Machine. I don't have confidence in that product. It has a history of serious problems and they are well documented on the comodo forum. It's buggy and the development has been erratic. I suggest you image your test machine prior to installing comodo time machine just in case something bad happens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Another option to consider (when it's released): Windows Thin PC + Enhanced Write Filter.

Another Thin PC feature that can help beleaguered system administrators manage their systems is the Enhanced Write Filter (EWF), a technology that can prevent permanent changes from being made to the OS by the end user. Windows Thin PC can, using a RAMdisk and unpartitioned space on the hard disk, store any write operations that the user makes to the drive. So, in essence, if you save a file to the desktop or install a program, it will be written to the EWF volume instead of the main Windows partition. Since records of these extra files are not stored on the main system partition, the user is presented with a clean OS upon rebooting. This keeps the machines easy-to-fix in the event of spyware or virus infection, with the added benefit of discouraging client-end computing and encouraging users to connect to the remote server to get anything done.

Thank Post
    I've been using this, in one of my schools, for the past few months. It's worked brilliantly. I've had to restore a few pc's from a snapshot and it's been flawless. The option to be able to go into the console at start up is especially useful if the PC won't boot up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lmsg2011 View Post
    I've been using this, in one of my schools, for the past few months. It's worked brilliantly. I've had to restore a few pc's from a snapshot and it's been flawless. The option to be able to go into the console at start up is especially useful if the PC won't boot up.
    Same here. I have it installed on 5 machines and so far it hasn't given us any issues what so ever. Only one machine so far has had to have a restore and this completed without error/hassle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread