+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, OpenProj Free Alternative To Microsoft Project 2010 in Links, Downloads and Scripts; I am always on the lookout for alternatives to software we are already using. MS Project has been a tough ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

OpenProj Free Alternative To Microsoft Project 2010

I am always on the lookout for alternatives to software we are already using.

MS Project has been a tough one to crack and apparently it should not have been so:

... OpenProj has a long history and is a complete replacement to the Microsoft Office Project application. It is surprising that not many people know about it...
    I came across this this afternoon and I will test it as soon as I can [away from school today: Snow closure]

Link: OpenProj Free Alternative To Microsoft Project 2010

Works on: Windows and Linux.

2. 3 Thanks to DaveP:

AngryTechnician (6th January 2010), garethedmondson (6th January 2010), ZeroHour (6th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I heard a great tip for finding software alternatives the other day. Just go to google and type the product name then ' vs' and autocomplete will bring up a list of alternative products. EG:

'ms project vs'

Quite neat i thought.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Ive used Ganttproject for about 2 years now and its fine, we have it on all our PCs at the College and its used with good success (fine I have Project on mine but I'm special but I do still have Ganntproject as well) GanttProject Home

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Had a quick look at OpenProj and here's a quick, non-exhaustive summary:

Pros:
    • Lightweight. Runs quickly.
    • Windows version has a nice clean MSI installer.
    • Good feature set. Nice simple interface.

Cons:
    • Requires Java, along with all the constant patching headache that entails.
    • Stores some persistent settings in an unusual place (uninstalling and reinstalling did not prompt me to register the second time, but can't find any settings stored in Program Files, AppData, or the Registry).
    • Calls home to vps598.sgvps.net via HTTP without consent. This isn't mentioned in the readme, or in any of the fifteen(!) different licences the various components are released under.
    • Occasionally displays ads for the company's paid products at launch.

Thank Post
    OpenWorkbench is another one - Open Workbench - Home

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    OpenWorkbench is another one - Open Workbench - Home
    Thats evil, I spent many many hours trying to get it to work for limited users (AKA Students and Staff) with no success, thus the move onto Gantt Project. Have you got it working for limited users Ric?

Thank Post
    @john: OpenWorkbench works fine for me... just install it via an MSI and that's it... although tbh I don't know if anyone uses it. I did test it though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @john: OpenWorkbench works fine for me... just install it via an MSI and that's it... although tbh I don't know if anyone uses it. I did test it though!
    Tried that no joy, it won't open any templates and if you do get a blank gantt chart it then soon crashes and locks up for us. TBH i don't mind as Gantt project is waaay simpler

Thank Post
    You can allways try for free RationalPlan - Project Management Software - great alternative to Microsoft Project with some extra-features like multiproject management.

Thank Post

Re: Rational Plan

Rational Plan is indeed one of the potential alternatives. But there are much more like Gantt Project, OpenProj, Open workbench and Planner. Some reviews and more can be found on pm-software.org.

Thank Post
    Well it seems like OpenProj is really the best open source project management software alternative to MS Project. It has features like MS Project and you can even use project files from this tool. Has anyone tried Redmine and Activecollab? I've heard that activecollab becomes a payware software now. Anyway, I've also come across this blog which lists a number of project management software alternatives: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives I think it's also a good list comparing all the different features of the different tools.

Thank Post
    Another alternative to MS Project which is also a good project management software package would be Latitude. It has a CRM feature to keep track of clients info, manage projects and documents, and can create invoices of job costs through its simple cash accounting system. User timesheets can be exported to QuickBooks and other accounting software packages for payrolls. It can also generate reports of timesheets, projects, employees, etc., through its reports generation feature.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread