+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Beta 2 in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Microsoft Windows Server Update Services ( WSUS ) 3.0 Beta 2 delivers new features that enable administrators to more easily ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Beta 2

Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 Beta 2 delivers new features that enable administrators to more easily manage and deploy updates across the organization. WSUS 3.0 Beta 2 benefits include a new MMC-based user interface with advanced filtering and reporting, improved performance and reliability, branch office optimizations and reporting rollup, and a Microsoft Operations Manager pack
    [*]Register and Download WSUS 3.0 Beta 2 [*]WSUS 3.0 Overview [*]Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Started with WSUS 3.0[*]WSUS 3.0 Readme

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Re: Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Beta 2

I have been playing at home with this and it is much better, and has many features that we have wanted, such as deleting old computers, exired updates etc, so its a good update. So it's looking a good update.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Doesn't seem like it was that long ago since WSUS 2 was released... ah well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

@john - Doesn't WSUS already do this? I can delete computers/groups and WSUS notifies me of updates it recommends are expired.

I think the prime difference from what I have read is WSUS 3 uses the MMC console and can only be installed on Server 2003 or later, but will still distribute updates to Windows 2000 and Office XP or later (as well as other applications).

Thank Post

@michael, depends how you manage the setup, if you manage them directly in the WSUS console then yes you can, but if you don't and just let it find them via Active D then no you cannot. From my testing it lets you do it both ways which is better. It does use MMC now so you have more flexibility there in some peoples views.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I always found the web interface sluggish. So I like the idea of an mmc interface.

Thank Post

I found the webface got sluggish after the SP1 for it, so who knows what MSFT have done. The new one is due in the new year I think....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hope this is the right place to post this question if not then please feel free to move it.

I'm currently trying to install WSUS on a newly installed Member Server 2003 R2 which is patched fully up to date. My intention being to add it to the network which is served by a lone DC and give it a WSUS and Sophos Enterprise manager role. I'm having problems getting WSUS to run though.

I see the need to run Asp.net and going to Windows Components tick the relevant boxes only to find the system asking me to insert what it lists as the SP2 disk in the A: drive. Putting the Server 2003 Disk 1 in I find the i386 folder and the file the system is looking for but notice it has *.vb_ as an extension not the *vbs that I think the system is actually looking for.

Is there something in the Server 2003 running that is blocking these files being displayed as VBS if so what do I do to turn it off please.

Thank Post
    id imagine its asking for the r2 disk (disc 2) o be inserted (though on a server its a good idea to copy an install media to the hard drive imo)

10. Thanks to sted from:

speckytecky (1st May 2009)

Thank Post
    You're right, WSUS 3.0 does require .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed. I hope you've downloaded the latest WSUS 3.0 SP1 (80MB). You also need IIS6 to be running too, but setup will prompt you if this is needed.

It is recommended to copy the i386 directory off your 2003 media, as you can point requests to C:\i386 (for example) instead of requiring the media everytime.

12. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Sted and Michael for the speedy replies. I'll do that next week. In the meantime any idea why the files which I'm thinking should be coming up as VBS files are coming up as VB_

Thank Post
    This is normal. If for example you had a corrupt system file and Windows failed to boot, you could copy the file from the Windows media, expand it, then overwrite the existing file.

I recently fixed a Vista machine which had a corrupt PCI.sys file. Running the following command would prompt you to overwrite the file:

Code:
    expand D:\i386\system32\drivers\pci.sy_ C:\Windows\system32\drivers
    When you're prompted for a particular file (from the Windows disc), just point it to C:\i386 and setup will complete without requiring you to get out your seat!

15. Thanks to Michael from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread