+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Downloads Thread, skeep VNC console in Links, Downloads and Scripts; Thanks for help so far Yes i tried the modified script, but sadly it doesn't work I will just try ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for help so far

Yes i tried the modified script, but sadly it doesn't work
    I will just try something more, good luck for figuring out what to do with the ADScheme.vbs !

Thank Post
    Hello qUoTum,

Im not certain what the ADScheme.vbs does but if I was to hazard a guess, I would say it is run by the program to build the AD Structure in the left hand panel.

As Duncan has said, you need to browse to your Computers OU not Users. The users OU will contain only more empty OU's (if you have created them) which is obviously no good to you. If you are to browse to your computers OU you should see the computers on the right hand side when you get to the bottom level. Or the alternative is to search for the computer name. The login script shouldnt stop you deploying VNC and using VNC. (if you are Deploying don't forget to set it up first in the Skeep options)

As for the Users, IP and MAC not showing: Firstly check to see if the information is being entered into ADSI Edit. To check logon to an AD Server run adsiedit.msc then expand the OU's down to a computer you know the information of IE Domain.Internal\Establishments\Domain\Computers\Ad min\Computer1. Right click on the Computer Folder and look at the properties. Check if ipHostNumber, NetworkAddress and/or employeeNumber has a value and if any of them do, then are the values correct?

If they do have the correct values then your login script is working and the issue might be with your Skeep program. If there is no values in ADSI Edit, manually enter the IP address of the machine (be sure you are correct) then refresh Skeep. If the IP changes and shows correctly then you can be sure there is not an issue with Skeep reading ADSI and you are back to the issue with the login script.

I have already made a new version of the login script because I was having issues on server 2008 R2. The version I created using slightly different variables to get the same information.

I hope this is helpful information.
    Last edited by TomClay; 28th February 2013 at 09:25 AM.

Thank Post
    So.. I checked if the information was entered into ADSI after the user logged in. The information is not there.
    Then I entered the Mac-Adress manually (the value for IP was not there?) and refreshed Skeep - still no information there.
    It seems like the script doesn't work neither does Skeep?

Any ideas?

Or.. would the script you made help me maybe?
    Last edited by qUoTuM; 28th February 2013 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Sounds like you have a few more issues than I had.

Does the information update in ADSI Edit when you run the script manually, as posed to having it run via logon script?

If we go back to the beginning.
    1. You Installed skeep as administator on 1 machine.
    2. You copy the logon and logoff scripts into your NETLOGON share.
    3. You add the logo and logoff scripts to run for every user via GPO or at start up or however you choose.
    >This updates ADSI
    >Skeep Reads ADSI as the user you are logged in as so you need to be an administrator
    4. Open Skeep and the info should all be present and correct

So thinking systematically, Try running the script manually and seeing if it updates the 3 areas of ADSI Edit (ipHostNumber, NetworkAddress and employeeNumber) If all 3 are not being updated by the Logon script, that is the first hurdle. You should also try my version of the script. Check event log while running the script to see for errors of the script not be able to run.

Once the script is all sorted and ADSI is being updated, Skeep should show exactly what is in ADSI. You do have to refresh Skeep Manually, it is not live, and I also noticed that staying in ADSI while using Skeep can something not show the information (like ADSI stops access while its in use). If it doesnt then are you logged in as an admin?

This is a copy of my logon and logoff script and a script which I used to see if I was getting the correct information from the computer to send to ADSI.
    Skeep.zip

Tom.

5. Thanks to TomClay from:

FatBoy (28th February 2013)

Thank Post
    After i ran the script manually, I get this error while refreshing Skeep.
    As I said in my post before there is no value "ipHostNumber" in the ADSI.

error.jpg

So I have to extend the ADScheme for ipHostNumber?
    Last edited by qUoTuM; 28th February 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmm, well... that would stop it working if it doesnt exist. Does the attribute still exist in ADSI? ipHostNumber is and Active Directory attribute by standard. There is a list here of the AD attributes. All Attributes (Windows)

Which script produced that error?

Tom.
    Last edited by TomClay; 28th February 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Additional question

Thank Post
    After running your script manually the information is in the ADSI. The error appears when I try to search for the PC in Skeep.
    So the only problem now should be the fact that ipHostNumber doesn't exist so the script tries to get information that don't exist and produce that error?.. is it possible that it's not standard in Server 2003?

EDIT: Ok, i saw this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc220013.aspx
    It says that it's only implemented on Server 2003 R2.
    Last edited by qUoTuM; 28th February 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Do you get an error when running "Local Network Info.VBS"? Because that has no input to ADSI. All that does is collate the information from the computer it is run on in a dialogue box. If there error occurs there then it would be case that it cannot pull the information from the machine. You would atleast then know where the issue was, be it the local computer or AD?

What network are you using? If the AD server is 2003 I would presume you dont need the new script but should use the original? I only adapted it for Server 2008 R2, not that I am sure the new one wont work on server 2003? Also what OS are the computers running?

Thank Post
    When I run Local Network Info I don't get an error.
    The original script doesn't work only your script is working.
    The Computers are running Windows 7.

I don't know if you understand the screenshot i posted before, but it says that the script can't run because it can't find the ipHostNumber which don't exists.
    So in my opinion thats the only problem I have at the moment?
    Last edited by qUoTuM; 28th February 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Sorry, I miss understood before. ADSI is being updated correctly by the login script but you are receiving the error using skeep. My Mistake.

Skeep VNC console - Spiceworks

You arent the first with the same error but there isnt a real answer on that page. More a sort of do with out approach. Fingers crossed for ADAM. It does look like the right comment was made in that post "It sounds like Skeep cannot find an Active Directory object computer.". I wouldnt know where to go from here. Perhaps try installing skeep on another PC to rule that out?

Tom

Thank Post
    Some great fault finding posts there Tom I have contacted Skeep him self and he said the ADSchema.vbs is

"That is what sets up the permissions in ad. As long as you have permissions already just running the script should work."

So maybe this could help with your problem, altho its a long shot. Like you say if that ip attribute is missing it going to throw up all sorts of problems, why wouldn't you have it tho, random?

Thank Post
    I thought that at first then when I re-read the posts, it looks more like ipHostAddress is present in ADSI and the script is updating ADSI. Its the HTA program itself that is failing to read from the AD.

Thank Post
    Surely it's got to be something to do with permissions then?

Thank Post
    I will try something now and I will let you guys know if I was successfully next week.

Thank Post
    Hello guys, I am pretty new to IT (was on my last bit of 3 years of schooling before this job) and I just got hired on at a company not 2 weeks ago, well I had an issue with needing to access an employees machine without them knowing on my first full day there and had no way to do it. After some web searching i have found skeep, it seems sweet but i need some help setting it up and getting all the stuff like ip/username searching established. I have never really used vnc and this is my first IT job out of school so im about as green as a pea. Its a windows 7 domain and they have a pre-existing active directory set up, so far skeep has been nice for being able to access the servers this place has. If anyone would be willing to help me out with this and maybe future issues i would be glad to accept the graciousness xD

Sincerely,
    tehnewby1

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast