+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, OwnCloud 6 Released in Links, Downloads and Scripts; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,994 Posts

OwnCloud 6 Released

Website / Download / Demo / Bitnami VMs

New Features

ownCloud Documents
    ownCloud Documents is collaborative editing of rich-text documents. The documents can be created from within the web-interface or existing documents can be uploaded. Sharing and editing can be done securely in the browser and be shared inside ownCloud or via a public link. User that have an account on the same server can be invited or public invitations can also be sent be email. The editing works on top of normal ODF files that are stored in ownCloud. ownCloud Documents is built in cooperation with KO GmbH.

User Avatars
    User can upload avatar pictures so that they are easier to recognize by others. This is especially useful for bigger organizations and enterprises.

File Previews
    We now show thumbnails of documents in the web-interface in all the relevant places. This helps the users to recognize their files easier.

Conflict Handling
    A new web conflict dialog if a file is uploaded that already exists. Users have the option to replace or rename a file and compare them with thumbnails.

Activity Feed
    See what is going on in your ownCloud. You can see the latest files and folders that you have created changed or deleted. You can see when someone shared something with you or you shared something with someone and if the shared files are changed. This feed can also be accessed with an RSS feed and can be ready via an REST api by Desktop and Mobile client.

New Design
    Improved design. Less visual clutter and more space for a better focus on your content.

Undelete
    Finally, now users can undelete a file that was accidentally deleted through the web interface. Simply select the files in the trash bin and they are returned to where they were deleted from, with versions maintained.

Other Features
    • Improved performance across the board.
    • Easier development of 3rd party apps, easier access to core functions for app development with the updated ownCloud App API.
    • Share file notification. Send an email if sharing a file or folder.
    • Example files for new users. Load new user’s with files, such as a tutorial on how to use ownCloud, which appears when they first log in.
    • Sharing REST API. Control sharing from mobile apps and desktop clients
    • App management. Improved management of 3rd party apps.
    • Logging
    • LDAP / Active directory integration

Last edited by Arthur; 4th January 2014 at 11:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    OwnCloud 6 Released
    I installed it on a VM on our network yesterday. I've gone for installing on a separate Debian VM and having that VM mount user file areas via Samba rather that try and install directly on our Windows file server. I haven't managed to get LDAP authentication working yet, OwnCloud is currently authenticating via Samba. This works as far as user logins go, and each user can see their My Documents files as their OwnCloud files, but you can't bring up a list of users to share files with, the dialog box is empty - I think I need to fix LDAP logins for that to work properly.

After some thought, we've decided it might not be the best idea to have staff be able to sync their potentially confidential My Documents folder to random loseable / stealable home devices. All staff have Remote Desktop access, although pupils don't and would probably find the sync option very handy. Also, I think I might add the staff shared folders as part of OwnCloud's "files" view, so if someone decided to sync their files they'd wind up copying the whole of whatever shared folders they could see. Is there any way to stop just particular groups of users from being able to use the sync client - is their some way I can "break" the WebDAV service just for staff, would that do it? I could set up a second OwnCloud server, one for staff and one for pupils, if needed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is there any way to stop just particular groups of users from being able to use the sync client - is their some way I can "break" the WebDAV service just for staff
    Not sure to be honest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread