+ Post New Thread
Downloads Thread, LibreOffice v4.0 Released in Links, Downloads and Scripts; It's not officially out yet, but you can download the v4.0 via the links below. Website / Download ( Windows ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,766 Posts

LibreOffice v4.0 Released

It's not officially out yet, but you can download the v4.0 via the links below.

Website / Download (Windows, Mac*, Linux) / Release Notes

* The en-GB language pack for OS X can be downloaded from here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Thanks for this - we use this site-wide in conjunction with GDocs.
    The link to release notes only found 3.6.5. 4.0 was here https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.0

Thank Post
    I was going to post that link, but then I thought that if we waited until v4.0.0 was officially released it would be at the URL above.

Thank Post
    It's officially out now.

• This release is bit-for-bit identical to the 4.0.0 Release Candidate 3, so you don't need to download or reinstall if you have that version already.
    • The distribution for Windows is an international build, so you can choose the user interface language that you prefer. Help content is available via an online service, or alternatively as a separate install.
    • Our Windows binaries are digitally signed by The Document Foundation.
    • For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we advise uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers the same file type associations.
    • If you run Linux, the GCJ Java variant has known issues with LibreOffice, we advise to e.g. use OpenJDK instead.
    • LibreOffice contains all the security fixes from OpenOffice.org in 3.3.0, and perhaps more as a side-effect of the code clean-ups.
    • LibreOffice 4.0 drops a few long-deprecated features, including support for legacy binary StarOffice files, export to legacy Word and Excel (version 6.0/95), and legacy ODMA document management.
    • Microsoft Office 2010 will complain that ODF 1.2 and extended documents written by LibreOffice 3.5 are invalid (but opens them still). This is a shortcoming in MSO2010 only supporting ODF 1.1, please see here for further details.
    • This version still contains a few annoying bugs, as listed here. Specifically, the German Duden Korrektor extension needs a manual fix.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Phew. No ribbon.

Thank Post
    Once a big believer in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, im now determined to move away onto MS Office so i can get rid of Java (the only reason its installed is for LibreOffice currently) as the rotating updates for it just realyl annoy me and give no one any confidence.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Once a big believer in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, im now determined to move away onto MS Office so i can get rid of Java (the only reason its installed is for LibreOffice currently) as the rotating updates for it just realyl annoy me and give no one any confidence.
    I don't think libre office needs Java these days, it used to be included but not any more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't think libre office needs Java these days, it used to be included but not any more.
    From their Sys Reqs page:

For certain features of the software - but not most - Java is required. Java is notably required for Base.

Im not sure im going to sit there and try every function of every components by hand till i hit the ones that dont work. Be helpful if they listed those features which didnt require it, but they dont

Update:

Bit of googling reveals quite a bit of it still relies on java: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12th March 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    From their Sys Reqs page:

For certain features of the software - but not most - Java is required. Java is notably required for Base.

Im not sure im going to sit there and try every function of every components by hand till i hit the ones that dont work. Be helpful if they listed those features which didnt require it, but they dont
    I think its some of the wizards as well as Base. I run quite happily on some machines without Java. I think their plan is to convert to python, C++ or something

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I think its some of the wizards as well as Base. I run quite happily on some machines without Java. I think their plan is to convert to python, C++ or something
    Hehe knowing the users i deal with, they will be the type that run wizards

Ive read that they are (slowly so far) converting to python. I'm sure im not he only person (and googling reveals so) that believes that java is a fundamental requirement of OO/LO

Ill give it a go and see what happens...lol it might take some time to round up some MS Office licenses anyways

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread