+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Downloads Thread, Adobe Reader XI Released in Links, Downloads and Scripts; v11 looks and feels very similar to v10. There have certainly been fewer updates with v10 than previous versions. Hopefully ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    v11 looks and feels very similar to v10. There have certainly been fewer updates with v10 than previous versions. Hopefully v11 will build on that.

Overall a good product and I'll probably be deploying it soon. Automatic updates is also switched on too. Will be interesting to see whether these updates will be silent like Adobe Flash, which works very well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    v11 looks and feels very similar to v10. There have certainly been fewer updates with v10 than previous versions. Hopefully v11 will build on that.

Overall a good product and I'll probably be deploying it soon. Automatic updates is also switched on too. Will be interesting to see whether these updates will be silent like Adobe Flash, which works very well.
    You can turn them off in the ADM template if you like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Customization Wizard XI has just been released, if you like doing things through an .MST transform (as I do)

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acroba.../11.0.00/misc/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts

Thank Post
    It'll be interesting to see how Adobe fair now Microsoft have a built-in PDF reader in Windows 8. They're going to have to up their game (or start bribing OEM's to bundle it on new computers) if they want people to carry on using Acrobat viewer!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now, Adobe, Apple and Oracle Java are the worst offenders for application vulnerabilities, they really need to look at basic security as the next big feature they tackle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Right now, Adobe, Apple and Oracle Java are the worst offenders for application vulnerabilities, they really need to look at basic security as the next big feature they tackle.
    I updated Java to 7u7 before half term. I just checked now as the install is borked on my machine and it's gone to 7u9.

How do you fit two updates into a fortnight? Do you not test these things before you push them out?

Thank Post
    I've just rolled out Adobe Reader 11 on my CC4 network. Very easy now, no need for RM Blueprints etc. Can keep the package up to date easily enough by patching the acroread.msi file. No need for transform files or repackaging.

Those of you who are not on CC4 will still be able to use these instructions, as I'm sure you're savvy enough to work out which bits you can change!

Adobe have released some official ADM templates for Adobe Reader v11 (don't know if they'll work with v10). Combined with the instructions below, you can create your own Adobe package just by using the downloadable redistributable package - no need for App Wiz or Blueprints!

Step1: Get the MSI
    1. Sign up for and downloaded the Adobe Reader redistributable package, in EXE format

2. Copy to C:\Temp

3. Create new folder in C:\Temp\AdobeReader

3. On a command line, run: C:\Temp\AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe -nos_0 "Reader11" -nos_ne

4. Prompt will ask for destination, specify C:\Temp\AdobeReader (note if you just specify C:\Temp it'll purge it)

5. Once finished extracting, on the command line enter: msiexec.exe /a c:\Temp\AdobeReader\AcroRead.msi /p c:\Temp\AdobeReader\AdbeRdrUpd1014.msp
    This will patch the AcroRead.msi file with the changes from the update msp file (these instructions included v10 example)

Note, you can skip step 5 if you've just downloaded the first major release, e.g. 11.0.0.0

6. Copy the AcroRead.msi out of c:\Temp\AdobeReader to a new clean location.

Step 2a: New RM CC4 Package:
    For a new package:

1. In the RMMC, import a CC3 package, specifying the AcroRead.msi file (make sure it's the only thing in a directory or the RMMC will pick everything else in the folder up too).

2. Edit the package immediately, rename it and specify the correct OS Constraints (e.g. to include Windows 7)

Don't deploy it yet!

Step 2b: EXISTING RM CC4 Package
    For an updated package, update the File Set of the package with the new AcroRead.msi

Step 3: Policy Settings - new!
    You only need to do this once per major version

Adobe have now released an official ADM template for Version 11 of Reader, which can be imported in to GPOs to control various usual features. There is a 3rd party unofficial version which also includes settings for Air, Updater and Java Runtime. Here: CustomADMX | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Adobe version, here: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader...DMTemplate.zip

These ADM files are fine for a vanilla environment, but RM like to keep machine and user settings separate. It's possible to make this ADM visible and friendly with the CC4 RMMC. Download them from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/30vefz2vv1...eader11ADM.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the 2 files to \\sch-srv-001\d$\RMNetwork\RMManage\Type Manager\ADM

2. Open the RMMC and navigate to: Registry Policies -> Computer Policies -> Global -> All Computers

3. Click Tools -> Options -> Registry Policies. In User Policies, select AdobeReader11-User and in Computer Policies, select AdobeReader11-Computer.
    Note that these policies have nothing set by default, so although they'll appear in each of your Computer and User Policies, we're only setting them up in the Global policies, so it applies to everyone.

4. In the Global -> All Computers policy, select the new Adobe Reader Computer category.

5. Set as follows:
    a. Disable PDF handler Switching: Not Set
    b. Disable automatic updates: Ticked
    c. Turn off user participation in the feedback program: Ticked
    d. Don't show messages while viewing a document: Not Set
    e. Show messages when I launch Reader: Disabled
    f. Display PDFs in browser: Ticked
    g. Auto Complete: Not Set
    h. Enable Protected Mode at startup: Disabled

The last one is important otherwise PDFs won't load in IE.

6. Click Save. Then move on to User Policies -> Global -> All Users and select the new Adobe Reader User category.

7. Set as follows:
    a. Accept EULA: Ticked
    b. Display splash screen at launch: Ticked (your choice!)
    c. Enable Acrobat JavaScript: Ticked
    d. Ask before installing checkbox: Disabled
    e. Load security settings from a server: Not Set
    f. Automatically trust sites for Win OS security zones: Ticked

8. Click Save. Close the RMMC.

Step 4: Test Deploy and get the shortcut

Next, test deploy your new package to a machine, reboot it so it picks up the new Computer Policy settings then log in.
    All should be good :-)
    CheckPDFs load in IE (if they don't then the policy isn't right).

Finally, we need to import a shortcut in to the package, if it's a new one, rather than an update.

1. From the machine where you test deployed to, navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader

2. Create a new shortcut to AcroRd32.exe

3. Copy this shortcut to a 32 bit computer has access to the RMMC and import it in to the package. (Irritatingly, you'll have to update the package version).

Step 5: Deploy!
    Now you can deploy the package to your site and put the shortcut, if you want users to have access to the App, within Software-> Program Sets.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone found the group policy to disable auto update doesn't work?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You could disable the Adobe Acrobat Update Service using RSAT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I normally disable the auto-updater in the Customization Wizard because it's extremely unlikely we would ever need to enable it again. I have never had any issues doing it that way.

Thank Post
    Now that Firefox v19+ has PDF reading built in, im on the war path to get rid of the sceurity issue that is Adobe Reader, im on a warpath against Java as well, and plan to remove that as well. If only i could get rid of the last remaining glaring security hole that is Flash....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12th March 2013 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Now that Firefox v19+ has PDF reading built in, im on the war path to get rid of the sceurity issue that is Adobe Reader, im on a warpath against Java as well, and plan to remove that as well. If only i could get rid of the last remaining glaring security hole that is Flash....
    Just use Foxit, it has been a better solution than Acrobat for years now, MSI deployable to with no hoop jumping like Adobe.

Thank Post
    I'm having issue's trying to stop Adobe Reader XI from updating.

I've used the Adobe Customization Wizard to create my .mst and when I check the registry after deployment I can see that bUpdater is set to 0 (disable updates) but for some reason it still updates!!!

Anyone got any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    An update for Adobe Reader & Acrobat was released today (v11.0.03).

Download Links
    Acrobat Pro: MSP
    Reader: EXE / MSP

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast