+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, How do you become an ICT coordinator as an IT Tech? in Training and Courses; My ICT coordinator is due to retire in 3 or 4 years time and thinking ahead and knowing how long ...
    Thank Post

How do you become an ICT coordinator as an IT Tech?

My ICT coordinator is due to retire in 3 or 4 years time and thinking ahead and knowing how long some course’s take I decided its best to get qualified and aim for her job. But not got a clue where to start, most internet links are leading me to dead page’s and speaking to my coordinator she says, she was just in the right place at the right time. Anyone know any good resource’s on what an ICT coordinator does and how to become one?

Anyone else moved from IT tech to ICT coordinator? How did it go from you? Due to our school being small I am hoping to do both jobs.

Re: How do you become an ICT coordinator as an IT Tech?

To become an ICT co-ordinator you are really looking to become a Teacher as this is a Teacher management role like any other subject co-ordinator.

If you already have a degree then you could do a PGCE

http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetra...urse/pgce.aspx

Thank Post

All I have is a Btech Nat diploma in IT computer studies. No school related teacher qualifications. More interested in the admin side of being an ICT coordinator then teaching. But I know from working with the kids that I could tech a small amount. Not interested in becoming a full time teacher. But assuming the school lets me, teaching IT part time and doing IT tech part time would be a nice mix.

What’s the best path to becoming a Teacher while working full time?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Unless you are working in an independent school, you will need, at the very least a PGCE...and I may be wrong (havent checked the link supplied)but you need an appropriate degree before you commence that.

Personally, I would lay down your intentions to your head and see what they say. It should at least show them commitment and they may even help you on your way in terms of costs.

I think though (and not wishing to put a dampener on things) you would be looking at longer than 4 years before you qualify as a teacher and you shouldnt expect to walk straight into a co-ordinator role from teacher training

Thank Post

I think I'm correct in saying that to train as a teacher in post you will need to follow the graduate teacher program. Having not attained your degree yet that route is not open to you. You could study for your degree first somewhere like the OU, your current qualification may carry some points so you may only have to do a couple of years, then you could become a graduate teacher. As stated above IT coodinators deal with curriculum issues and do not usualy get to involved at all with the technical aspect of computers and networking.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    All I have is a Btech Nat diploma in IT computer studies. No school related teacher qualifications. More interested in the admin side of being an ICT coordinator then teaching. But I know from working with the kids that I could tech a small amount. Not interested in becoming a full time teacher. But assuming the school lets me, teaching IT part time and doing IT tech part time would be a nice mix.
    Are you sure that what you really want isn't to be a network manager. If what you are after is more say over budgets and policy then this can be done as an network manager or IT director.

With an ICT coordinator the slant is more towards teaching, particularly championing the use of ICT across the currirculum.

Thank Post

Got to agree with whats been said already, that being an ICT Coordinator is more about how ICT is used throughout the curriculum, how its assessed and where it should be led (educationally) rather than technically. The technical side is really not the remit of the ICT Coordinator but (talking from the primary point of view here) as there is usually no one else they have to take on that role as well. If you do go down the PGCE route or get a degree in fact, just remember that being given the ICT coordinators role does not mean more money or any more money for that fact. Being a coordinator of any subject is infact a role that any teacher is expected to take on as fart of their normal duties so can't see you getting a role just as a coordinator unless you teach which you say you don't want to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

NetworkGeezer is spot on.

ICT Co-ordinator is now not that relevant in secondary schools. You will often find that there is a Head of ICT (or other Head of Dept that looks after ICT as a discrete subject) but you may have a variety of different people looking at ICT across the curriculum ... again, this really is a Teaching and Learning thing.

The Strategic Leadership of ICT course from NCSL (and partner course TeamSLICT) stress devolved leadership in ICT. It is important that it is not just seen as the job of one person but that a number of informed people talk and work out what is best across the whole school.

The requirements for technology should come from educational needs ... but it is often the case that the educational opportunities come from what technology you have or can afford to get. Chicken ... egg ...

Personally, I worked out that being a Network Manager was the best option for me and this burnt my bridges at my last place with the then Principal, I think ... some schools will only want someone making the important decisions if you are a qualified teacher.

Staff can be moved round to your way of thinking though ... and as a Network Manager (Level D on the Becta Technical Competencies) you have more input into the direction of IT facilities and how they are used.

Thank Post

“Are you sure that what you really want isn't to be a network manager. If what you are after is more say over budgets and policy then this can be done as an network manager or IT director.”
    It is really but in our school the ICT coordinator does all the budgets, policy and paper work side of network manager role. Perhaps a better option would be to see if they could give me an IT director role when she retires. I already do the tech side of a network manager.

Saying that when there's no new PC's or projects due I spend half my time doing classroom support and teaching small groups in lessons which I enjoy. Not something I would want to do all day every day mind you.

Thanks for all your advice, going talk to the deputy head next week and she about further training and job role change’s.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    ... I spend half my time doing classroom support and teaching small groups in lessons which I enjoy. Not something I would want to do all day every day mind you.
    In that case, don't try teacher training then. No offence, but under those circumstances you wouldn't make it. I've been through it, and you need super dedication and a very strong resolve to make it through the inevitable low times.

You need to be adamant enough that teaching is what you want to stick it out through situations like those that finished me - a placement in a very troubled school, with no support.

I reckon, like me, what you want is a Network Manager role. It depends really whether you prefer having a screwdriver in your hand, or a piece of chalk.

Thank Post

Couldnt agree more.. surely it should be the other way round (ie you want to be a techie rather than a teacher)

From my experience, an ICT teacher/head of ICT/ICT coordinator/whatever you want to call it, who also insists on doing network management, is plain annoying and just does not work. They are there to teach only, just as I am there to manage a network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread