+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, Comptia a+ in Training and Courses; Hi, Does any one have any experience of this course. I am thinking of taking it to update my knowledge. ...

Thank Post

Comptia a+

Hi,

Does any one have any experience of this course. I am thinking of taking it to update my knowledge. They say it is internationally and industry recognized. Is it worth the 500 price tag? Would it help me in my job hunting to have it?

Peter

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While it is a good base line to show you have basic technical competency, if you have done any professional support work with computers in the past it will almost all be stuff you already know, and Network+ might push you further.

If you're looking to get into the industry though and don't have any experience, it's a good one to have to demonstrate you are capable of working in support.

Thank Post
    I did this and the N+ before i got into my first job and i can say that if you are starting out in the industry for the first time they will be of some help to get your employers to notice you. The contents of the courses are good for people just starting to get into IT aswell and want to gain some knowledge.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pichi123 View Post
    Is it worth the 500 price tag? Would it help me in my job hunting to have it?

Peter
    Buy the Micheal Meyers book and then book the exam through Pearson Vue or Prometric. It should cost about half that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Buy the Micheal Meyers book and then book the exam through Pearson Vue or Prometric. It should cost about half that.
    This is what I am currently doing at the moment and as well as the book using videos from Professor Messer. Last time I looked the exams are 110 each and there are two exams. Haven't booked them yet but want to get them done before they change the specifications again, as they are due to change sometime this year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgrindle View Post
    This is what I am currently doing at the moment and as well as the book using videos from Professor Messer. Last time I looked the exams are 110 each and there are two exams. Haven't booked them yet but want to get them done before they change the specifications again, as they are due to change sometime this year.
    +1 for Professor Messer.

I recently did a course at Zenos IT Academy to get a good start in IT, we took A+, some MTAs and MCTS in Windows 7 Configuring and the videos helped me to improve my knowledge quite a bit. The only thing to watch with CompTIA is that the qualifications do expire after a few years, you can either retake them or pay a recurring fee to avoid retaking. I haven't got to that stage yet so I'm not quite sure which to suggest.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did the A+ 3 years ago.

Just starting the course gave me a lead into my first job in IT. My boss was then very supportive of me, and paid for the 2nd exam.

It was deffo worth it at the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Took the first exam before getting my current and first IT job, another one here for Professor Messer and the Mike Meyers book. Both great resources and all you need plus a little first hand experience . Didn't take the 220-702 as I passed the 701 a week before getting my job then had too much going on to revise and book that. Been meaning to get it booked recently and look at N+

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    +1 for Professor Messer.

I recently did a course at Zenos IT Academy to get a good start in IT, we took A+, some MTAs and MCTS in Windows 7 Configuring and the videos helped me to improve my knowledge quite a bit. The only thing to watch with CompTIA is that the qualifications do expire after a few years, you can either retake them or pay a recurring fee to avoid retaking. I haven't got to that stage yet so I'm not quite sure which to suggest.
    To reiterate what @DMcGuigan said, here is some information on the CompTIA Continuing Education Program.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread