+ Post New Thread
Courses and Training Thread, basic Teaching qualifications... in Training and Courses; Sooo, i dont want to be a fully qualified teacher, i like working in IT...but i'd like something that would ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

basic Teaching qualifications...

Sooo, i dont want to be a fully qualified teacher, i like working in IT...but i'd like something that would allow me to teach a class ICT, maybe with a teacher sat at the back of the class? Something like that...that's as far as my interest goes.

So is there a really basic qualification? I got an NVQ in adult teaching years ago, but something like that?

I'm pretty sure that some of you already teach classes, do you get paid for it? Do you have qualifications?

Thank Post
    I did it a few years ago. Was taken on as an instructor for 5 hours a week. I had no teaching qualifications but was doing a lot of adult ed teaching at the time. I was paid for it but obviously lost 5 hours of my NM pay. Then I found out that instructor pay was less than NM pay so they had to pay me at my NM rate or I wouldn't have done any more teaching. I had a regular (non IT) teacher in the class (sometimes when he could be bothered to turn up) but that was a waste of time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Also look at the High Level Teaching Assistant. HLTAs can lead class teaching unlike the regular teaching assistant.

Thank Post
    +1 to HLTA or L3 TA / Cover Supervisor.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at PTLLS as a start. Takes about 10 weeks and is the minimum qual needed to do ANY form of teaching at any level. I completed mine this year.

6. Thanks to GREED from:

Little-Miss (28th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Have a look at PTLLS as a start. Takes about 10 weeks and is the minimum qual needed to do ANY form of teaching at any level. I completed mine this year.
    The PTLLS award is a very good qualification to have (I gained my in two weeks in June this year), and I recommend anyone who is considering lecturing, training or even teaching to gain it with the possibility of the MCT as well

However currently it is not the minimum qualification needed to do any form of teaching at any level. The PTLLS award is the minimum qualification needed to gain your threshold to teach (minimum teaching qualification) in the life-long education sector (this is the post 16 - further education sector) as per the Further Education and Training Colleges Act, 2006 and the Institute for Learning. The PTLLS qualification can be used as a stepping stone to the CTLLS and the DTLLS, which you can then gain the ATLS (Associate Teacher Learning and Skills) and QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills) status which is the FE version of QTS in primary/secondary schools, however it is not currently recognised in them. There are plans to change this and the law regarding this, however it hasn't happened yet.

To my knowledge there is no set requirements to be an unqualified teacher (eg teaching assistant or cover supervisor), however to gain HTLA status you have to go through an assessment process.

-Ken

8. Thanks to wagnerk from:

Little-Miss (28th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Changers are afoot with the IfL regarding the status of needed qualification for teaching.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Changers are afoot with the IfL regarding the status of needed qualification for teaching.
    That's right, some changes are earmarked for this summer, but you know clogs and how slow they turn

-Ken

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do, I also know how slow cogs turn too!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread